The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Posts 376 to 400 of 554

User Info Menu

It would be nice to have a moderated Pasquale Grasso thread.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

People are forgetting the first rule of internet forums.

Do. Not. Feed. The. Trolls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I replied to the first post of this thread to bring it back to what it was about; a fine musician and guitarist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I replied to the first post of this thread to bring it back to what it was about; a fine musician and guitarist.
    There is no arguing with that.

Even if you play with your earlobes.

User Info Menu

Here's a well shot video uploaded to YouTube last week. The videographer must be a guitarist - lots of clear shots of PQ's picking technique!

User Info Menu

Phffft... way too easy :-)

User Info Menu

A really nicely filmed and recorded full concert from Samara Joy and the PG Trio. Some trio and solo tunes in the set too. Filmed on 25 July.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Pasquale just shared a new article from Jazztimes magazine, previewing his trio album (plus guests), 'Pasquale Plays Duke', out on 17th September: JT Video Premiere: "It Don't Mean a Thing" by Pasquale Grasso - JazzTimes

And a music video for 'It Don't Mean a Thing'.

Last edited by David B; 09-10-2021 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

A second music video from Grasso's album "Pasquale Plays Duke".

User Info Menu

I didn't realize some of Grasso's Sony recordings were released on CD including his current Pasquale Plays Duke and his previous Solo Masterpieces. The 13th bonus track on the latter is originally from Solo Ballads, Vol. 1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ovader
    I didn't realize some of Grasso's Sony recordings were released on CD including his current Pasquale Plays Duke and his previous Solo Masterpieces. The 13th bonus track on the latter is originally from Solo Ballads, Vol. 1.
    Just for the Japanese market I understand. Here in the UK, Amazon has import copies for £25.

User Info Menu

Solo Masterpieces is also available on CD via an USA edition. I have Pasquale Plays Duke on pre-order and it is a Canadian CD edition via Sony Music Canada Entertainment Inc.

User Info Menu

I haven't listened to everything Pasquale Grasso has recorded or performed live over the years but this is the first time I have heard him play in a traditional 12 bar blues structure. Others have seen him play like this in such blues tunes? I have yet to listen to Samara Joy's album but from what little I have seen of her live performances via video she doesn't belt it out vocally like she does in this video. She done gone got the blues and the audience digs it! There are more videos from this gig from the YT account.

User Info Menu

^^^ I regret I have but one like I can give to a video.

User Info Menu

I haven't listened to everything Pasquale Grasso has recorded or performed live over the years but this is the first time I have heard him play in a traditional 12 bar blues structure. Others have seen him play like this in such blues tunes?

User Info Menu

Pasquale with his repaired Black Trenier last night at Mezzrow's. On August 12 Bryant Trenier said this of the guitar.
    Among my summer projects, I’m finally getting the chance to make a new neck for the first guitar I made for @pasqualegrassomusic. The first neck was broken by a major airline, so a fresh start was needed. I’ve been so busy that it took me two years to get around to fixing a guitar for one of the all-time greats - I’m greatly looking forward to getting this instrument back in his very talented hands.
    Pasquale Grasso-237526318_4540066326058221_4655631028925667772_n1-jpg

User Info Menu

Pasquale with his repaired Black Trenier last night at Mezzrow's. On August 12 Bryant Trenier said this of the guitar.
    Pasquale Grasso-237526318_4540066326058221_4655631028925667772_n1-jpg
    Broken by a major airline? Time for a new song!

joelf Guest
    I just got home from a night of club-hopping & sitting in. After the 11th St. Bar my plan was to see Pasquale & Ari Roland at Mezzrow. Hadn't seen either in 4 years. Pasquale & I hugged, then I sat down to listen. It was the 2nd set, and I didn't expect it to open up. Only heard him play 1 tune----smooooth----he's SO flawless, before he had me and some other guys up. I played the Trenier, which I've played before. Felt nice.

It's great to be back and hear; hang; play w/these guys. Real jazz musicians!...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I just got home from a night of club-hopping & sitting in. After the 11th St. Bar my plan was to see Pasquale & Ari Roland at Mezzrow. Hadn't seen either in 4 years. Pasquale & I hugged, then I sat down to listen. It was the 2nd set, and I didn't expect it to open up. Only heard him play 1 tune----smooooth----he's SO flawless, before he had me and some other guys up. I played the Trenier, which I've played before. Felt nice.

It's great to be back and hear; hang; play w/these guys. Real jazz musicians!...
    Awesome!

It's very nice that guitar isn't it? I want one haha

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Awesome!

It's very nice that guitar isn't it? I want one haha
    It was just easier than taking mine out; tuning; unraveling a chord.

I think his other one is in the shop. It does play nice, this one. Same color, black.

I'd like to add that Pasquale is a SWEETHEART! I've known him since he moved to NYC in '08. He's a doll and very, very hardworking to have gotten as good as he is.

And to his critics: there's no way anyone could be harder on him than he himself is. A dedicated artist with high standards and low ego. He's on his way to being perhaps one of the best ever, for that type of virtuoso playing. Knows a pile of tunes too...

User Info Menu

Hi Joel,

The footage of Pasquale's gig at Mezzrow last night is up on the Small's/Mezzrow Facebook page. You sit in from the 1:54 mark.

Link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Hi Joel,

The footage of Pasquale's gig at Mezzrow last night is up on the Small's/Mezzrow Facebook page. You sit in from the 1:54 mark.

Link: Log into Facebook | Facebook
    Thanks. Ned Goold on tenor; John Roche, bass---can't identify the others except Tony Hewitt, vocal, on The Way You Look Tonight...

joelf Guest
    The drummer at Mezzrow last night was NYC stalwart Joe Farnsworth. It seems like there was a 4th piece besides Pasquale; Ari; and Joe---but CRS clouds my noggin once again.

To find out watch the vid our friend David B. posted. Thanks, David!...

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting!