The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 554

User Info Menu

When it comes to Cherokee it seems the point is to play it as fast as possible. Johny Mac on the tonight show comes to mind as well as some of the classic recordings from Tai and Barney etc.

These guys are just having some fun with that. Not my cuppa either. I don't see how you can have a lot of interaction when you're on the edge of the impossible.

I like some of the other tunes they play on the session. I like PG in an ensemble. He seems to have more joy. Seems more open. And I hear plenty of interaction with the others. His solo guitar work sometimes feels a bit overly serious to me. More closed. Too many balls in the air?

I'm with Christian on wanting to hear more mixing of polyphony into his single note ensemble solos. With his right hand technique there's a ton of possibilities there. No changing hand position or pick ditching to switch back and forth. To me that's one of the more impressive parts of his technique. Full integration between finger-style and plectrum.

I should disclose that I'm not a huge bop guitar fan. Cherokee sounds kinda goofy to me at the best of times.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

But you know, PG is a guitar genius, and I’m a dweeb on the internet haha.
    Guitar genius? I was reading the comments and to be honest I dont understand why people worship him so much, I just cant understand it
    .People who thinks he is a tecnical beast or virtuoso havent seen real players then. He is far from that. His technique is very easy at least to what I am used to do. Not mentioning that he is so repetitive in his ideas and makes one good phrase out of 10 maybe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyguitar
    Guitar genius? I was reading the comments and to be honest I dont understand why people worship him so much, I just cant understand it
    .People who thinks he is a tecnical beast or virtuoso havent seen real players then. He is far from that. His technique is very easy at least to what I am used to do. Not mentioning that he is so repetitive in his ideas and makes one good phrase out of 10 maybe.
    OK, who do you have in mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    OK, who do you have in mind?
    cmon you asking me? there are plenty of better musicians. And His technique is very basic and easy, i dont see nohing great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Another take of 'Don't Worry 'Bout Me' with Laura Benanti.

lol you have been spaming his videos for a long time, are you his manager or something? lol rofl

User Info Menu

cmon you asking me? there are plenty of better musicians. And His technique is very basic and easy, i dont see nohing great
    Please point us to your recordings. I wanna hear some non-basic and easy technique.

(This ain't the gear page, you don't earn any points here by badmouthing good players)

User Info Menu

"Very basic and easy...." Ah, I think you are letting your words get ahead of your thoughts. It seems to me Pasquale sits in an older tradition that is outside the mainstream of current jazz guitar in that he seems to reference Johnny Smith, Art Tatum and Chuck Wayne. That said, it take a lot of skill and dedication to learn that craft. There may be others that have a more modern harmonic vocabulary but so what? Musicians have different artistic commitments and visions. Pasquale has his own and he has it down cold.

User Info Menu

Guys, I think this might be a "don't feed the troll" situation...

User Info Menu

If you have an example of a player who exemplifies what you mean; someone who you feel illustrates what you are talking about with respect to Pasquale's technique. Will give me a reference point for where you are coming from.

User Info Menu

lol you have been spaming his videos for a long time, are you his manager or something? lol rofl
    Though it's true that I have posted a lot in this thread in recent years, it's because Pasquale is one of the musicians whose work I follow closely and I know that there are many here on the forum who enjoy having new videos of interest in one place - videos or news that might otherwise be overlooked in the deluge of online music content.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie2
    Guys, I think this might be a "don't feed the troll" situation...
    lol rofl lol, its funny how you call me a troll just because i didnt agree with most of the guys here (although i saw some guys that agrees with me abot PG). So if you dont like my reply i become inmediately a troll... this reminds me to inquisition times...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Though it's true that I have posted a lot in this thread in recent years, it's because Pasquale is one of the musicians whose work I follow closely and I know that there are many here on the forum who enjoy having new videos of interest in one place - videos or news that might otherwise be overlooked in the deluge of online music content.
    ok nice, but one question? are you his manager?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roberoo
    "Very basic and easy...." Ah, I think you are letting your words get ahead of your thoughts. It seems to me Pasquale sits in an older tradition that is outside the mainstream of current jazz guitar in that he seems to reference Johnny Smith, Art Tatum and Chuck Wayne. That said, it take a lot of skill and dedication to learn that craft. There may be others that have a more modern harmonic vocabulary but so what? Musicians have different artistic commitments and visions. Pasquale has his own and he has it down cold.
    Art Tatum was a genius at least if you compare him with PG... technically, its easy to play his runs on the guitar at the speed tatum played, (many people can) but is difficult to have his creativity.

User Info Menu

lol rofl lol, its funny how you call me a troll just because i didnt agree with most of the guys here (although i saw some guys that agrees with me abot PG). So if you dont like my reply i become inmediately a troll... this reminds me to inquisition times...
    Nope, it is not that you don't enjoy PG that I called you a troll. I actually am not a huge fan myself. His music does not do much for me, but thats ok. Its not supposed to be for everyone and it is not my style. However I feel like his technical ability is something to enjoy and marvel at from time to time.

But rather than post honest feedback or saying anything remotely redeeming you say "His technique is very basic and easy, i dont see nohing great" and "there are plenty of better musicians." And when questioned on these to provide who you would consider better, you respond with the typical internet diversion of basically "I shouldn't have to tell you or validate my points, do your own research" behind standard rofl, lol, etc language. David B. posts videos here often, and you think his contributions would be limited to a "manager." There are plenty more examples from your interaction in this thread this morning so.... yeah I'd say you're trolling.

User Info Menu

Can anyone link me to a guitarist playing a transcription of Art Tatum playing Tiger Rag? Thanks in advance. Extra points if they bump up the tempo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Can anyone link me to a guitarist playing a transcription of Art Tatum playing Tiger Rag? Thanks in advance. Extra points if they bump up the tempo.

Its not difficult to play fastee. Actually PG has his speed

User Info Menu

well, i can play at this speed, though is not very easy for the skills i have now (in some months will be easy)... what line of tiger rag you want i learn for you to post a video? I am ready. One single line, i mean one made by his right hand, i cant play both hands of him at this speed as is obvious.

User Info Menu

well, i can play at this speed, though is not very easy for the skills i have now (in some months will be easy)... what line of tiger rag you want i learn for you to post a video? I am ready. One single line, i mean one made by his right hand, i cant play both hands of him at this speed as is obvious.
    Say the right hand melody, 0:16 -- 0:30. Pulling that off cleanly would be impressive.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 06-07-2021 at 01:22 PM.

User Info Menu

On a more superficial note, looks like PG is back to laminate maple top guitars. Is that a Trenier Jazz special?
    Trenier Jazz Special — Trenier Guitars

User Info Menu

Say the right hand melody, 0:16 -- 0:30. Pulling that off cleaning would be impressive.
    working on that right now , sounds like a challenge

User Info Menu

Say the right hand melody, 0:16 -- 0:30. Pulling that off cleanly would be impressive.
    the problem is not the speed itself but transcribing it, because the quality of the recording is not very good and when u slow down some notes are hard to catch. You have a gp file or a sheet of music of the tatum piece?

edited...
    well i found this guy, seems kinda amzing haha
    working with his transcription

Last edited by jazzyguitar; 06-07-2021 at 02:49 PM.

User Info Menu

the problem is not the speed itself but transcribing it, because the quality of the recording is not very good and when u slow down some notes are hard to catch. You have a gp file or a sheet of music of the tatum piece?
    Not in front of me, but there are lots of transcriptions out there, if you search.

User Info Menu

Not in front of me, but there are lots of transcriptions out there, if you search.
    well not a lot for sure... but i found this guy which looks amazing, he deserves way more views

User Info Menu

thank you very much!

User Info Menu

btw i didnt watch the whole video, but seems that this guy can play this art tatum tiger rag, and nobody knows him. Im quoting cause u asked for someone who could play