The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hugh Hopper deserves greater recognition and name dropping. Great player, and really innovative.

Best fusion albums of all time-bilzen69_soft_machine-jpg

Indeed, yes - first time I saw him he'd not long joined Soft Machine and was seated, playing a Precision bass - a knockout performance by the group at the Parliament Hill Fields Open Air Concert, Summer 1969 (I was on the ceiling for the next 3 days !). Saw him many times thereafter - a great musical soul.

Peter Jenner and Andrew King (Blackhill Enterprises) also deserve everlasting praise if not an MBE each (if they're still with us) for organising/making possible the many unforgettable FREE open air concerts in the London parks during these years - with quite unbelievable line-ups on any one day - which introduced thousand upon thousand of punters like myself to Blackhill related label artists and to the best music of the day. The Nice, Yes, Procul Harum, Soft Machine, Roy Harper, Pink Floyd, Edgar Broughton Band, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Third Ear Band, Jethro Tull, Egg, Byzantium, Melanie, The Stones, Blind Faith, Marriott/Frampton, Leslie West, Jack Bruce Band, and loads more - all FOR FREE - it couldn't be, could it ? (well actually, yes!).

Today you pay £75-00 and the audience are more interested in selfie-ing themselves celebrating - regardless of what may or may not be happening on stage...……..and Prince Charles is often there as well, as a 'bonus', Lord help us.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Qs, just reading those band names brings back a lot of memories, though I never saw any of them live. But it was a big formative period for me in my teens, discovering great new music.

User Info Menu

Love this tune from Soft Machine 4; still listen to it all the time:

User Info Menu

Ooooh, “Teeth” is classic! Mike Ratledge wrote great stuff with Soft Machine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    Love this tune from Soft Machine 4; still listen to it all the time:
    saxist elto dean era..equally beautiful...dean used the saxello..a widemouthed soprano of sorts..unique..very rashaan roland kirk inspired!!! clever

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Qs, just reading those band names brings back a lot of memories, though I never saw any of them live. But it was a big formative period for me in my teens, discovering great new music.

I'll echo the latter, and I'm veering away from the 'jazzguitar' umbrella here, but - if you're unfamiliar with the music of Sheffield's The Comsat Angels (1979 - 2003-ish), risk whatever it costs on E-Bay for a copy of their 1996 CD 'My Mind's Eye' - and then have the lasting pleasure of investigating their back (and forward) catalogue. My interests focused mainly on jazz from the early 70's onwards, as the rock-related image became seemingly more important than the sound produced - but discovering The Comsat Angels in 1979 made up for the dearth of quality in a lot of post 60's music for me.

Try this for size - ideally through some quality headphones with the volume whacked up to '11' - YouTube: The Comsat Angels - 'Something's Got To Give' - one hell of a 'B' side, the musical depiction of a 'noir-movie' type stakeout: - is she cheating on you, and what if she is......? Tragically commercially unsuccessful, their musical output over a 20-odd year period - even with a 'radio-friendly' interlude - qualifies them as Britain's finest 'unknown' rock group with a brilliant oevre.......hope you enjoy!

User Info Menu

Sorry, Qs, but that just sounded like U2 or Simple Minds to my ears, with some local colour. Not my thing. Let's get back to fusion

User Info Menu

I remember Coryell telling me "they call me the "godfather of fusion". " I don't really like that". I think it was Dimeola who first coined that phrase. Maybe based on "Spaces" which had a pretty heavy cast for the time. Coryell was good friends with Hendrix, and jammed together sometimes, (Steve Paul's Scene) I think Larry just considered it all music.

User Info Menu

Tom Scott & the LA Express - Tom Cat

User Info Menu

Nostalgia notwithstanding, as a huge fusion fan, there's some awesome stuff coming out of London these days. Very much in the fusion vein, but new and fresh. Check out Yussef Dayes, Mansur Brown, Alpha Mist