The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85

User Info Menu

Tribal Tech needs more love in this thread. While it may be hard to single out just one album, I think their body of work stand among the best.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Certain Prog bands crossed into Fusion; Bruford and UK and Soft Machine have been mentioned. If you like those, check out Hatfield & The North (especially The Rotters Club album), Gilgamesh (Another Fine Tune You’ve Gotten Me Into) and Soft Head (Rogue Element; no guitar on this last, but an absolutely bonkers electric piano, soprano sax, electric bass, drums lineup. Like Ask The Ages? Dig this).

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Also, and demonstrating the suitability of a Les Paul in a Jazz context via Phil Lea and his LP Deluxe:

User Info Menu

welcome aboard L50....

nice... super huge fan of early prog/ uk fusion..so many great players and recordings...nucleus, gong, softs (from which pour forth almost everything)...robert wyatt himself was essential player in scene as he hung around usa after softs/hendrix tour...got involved with carla bley..played with coryell etc...went back to uk inspired!

same scene holdsworth emerged from...percy jones on bass as welll...none better..why they played with everybody!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

Reading through this thread brought back some memories. It took a few tries for my Alexa to pull up WR’s Heavy Weather. I kept getting the weather report.

RTF LAAF always struck me as a Latin band put together by the Scientologists to better “communicate” with audiences. Then Chick and Stan heard MO and quickly retooled. Frankly, I don’t find that the post-LAAF fusion RTF stands up (unlike, for example, MO, which is still as heavy as it gets, or Head Hunters, notwithstanding the awful synth solo on Chameleon). I winced a bit listening to Vulcan Worlds recently. And it was further downhill after that. My opinion, that’s all.

Broadening the definition a little, I recall with fondness a Danny Kootch outing called The Section, as well as T Scott’s first LA Express albums with Robben Ford and Larry Carlton.

User Info Menu

Some things I haven's seen mentioned in the thread
    Brecker Brothers -- Back to Back; Heavy Metal Bebop; Don't Stop the Music
    Hammer and Jerry Goodman -- Like Children
    Jeff Beck with the Jan Hammer Group - Live
    Little Feat -- Time Loves a Hero
    Sco - Still Warm

John

User Info Menu

I heard Beck and Hammer back in the day. Terrific concert. They traded licks, with Hammer taking Beck’s licks and in a blink of the eye varying them into something amazingly ornate and complex. Beck finally dropped his hands in mock surrender.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Reading through this thread brought back some memories. It took a few tries for my Alexa to pull up WR’s Heavy Weather. I kept getting the weather report.

RTF LAAF always struck me as a Latin band put together by the Scientologists to better “communicate” with audiences. Then Chick and Stan heard MO and quickly retooled. Frankly, I don’t find that the post-LAAF fusion RTF stands up (unlike, for example, MO, which is still as heavy as it gets, or Head Hunters, notwithstanding the awful synth solo on Chameleon). I winced a bit listening to Vulcan Worlds recently. And it was further downhill after that. My opinion, that’s all.

Broadening the definition a little, I recall with fondness a Danny Kootch outing called The Section, as well as T Scott’s first LA Express albums with Robben Ford and Larry Carlton.
    I agree the first 2 are awesome but I have a soft spot for Romantic Warrior, as it was one of the first jazz records I ever bought, and I think it is still the pinnacle of Dimeola's career. (Though whether it's real "jazz" could be a point for debate.) Great, great production on that album.

Who started this thread?!?

Oh...

Anyway, listening to the Grateful Dead's Without a Net today. Longtime deadheads may disagree, but I think this is their best recording on vinyl...pristine production, the vocals are not immaculate but "good enough", the rhythm section is tight as a cat's a$$, and the jams are high level. Also special marks for the boys' guitar tone. The versions of Birdsong and Eyes of the World in particular veer into jazz fusion territory...the latter features Branford Marsalis on sax.

User Info Menu

Eyes of The World is a really fun set of changes to jam on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I agree the first 2 are awesome but I have a soft spot for Romantic Warrior, as it was one of the first jazz records I ever bought, and I think it is still the pinnacle of Dimeola's career. (Though whether it's real "jazz" could be a point for debate.) Great, great production on that album.

Who started this thread?!?

Oh...

Anyway, listening to the Grateful Dead's Without a Net today. Longtime deadheads may disagree, but I think this is their best recording on vinyl...pristine production, the vocals are not immaculate but "good enough", the rhythm section is tight as a cat's a$$, and the jams are high level. Also special marks for the boys' guitar tone. The versions of Birdsong and Eyes of the World in particular veer into jazz fusion territory...the latter features Branford Marsalis on sax.
    Without a Net is great "Live" album (compiled from a few shows, I think)

The sound quality is great, and yeah, that "Eyes" with Branford is killin.'

I think my favorite fusion records are Herbie's "Sextant" and Badal Roy's "Daybreak,"with Kenny Wessel on guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Tribal Tech needs more love in this thread. While it may be hard to single out just one album, I think their body of work stand among the best.
    Absolutely! They are my desert island band (anything with Scott). Sounds like someone put Jeff Beck, Jimi, SRV, Zeppelin, and Weather Report in a hadron collider.

User Info Menu

Excellent thread to dig into your favs. To avoid obvious choices I recommend this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    Excellent thread to dig into your favs. To avoid obvious choices I recommend this:

This was one of the albums that got me into Jazz. I saw some of Lee's initial concerts at The Baked Potato in North Hollywood in 78 \ 79.

One funny thing happened when I went to the restroom; There was graffiti on the wall and one thing was "Joe Pass pissed here".

When I went in, Lee was just finishing, and after he was done, and turned around he said something like "I don't know if I'm qualified to piss here if Joe did!".

User Info Menu

Most of you guys probably wouldn't think of it as "fusion," but I do -- Buckshot LeFonque

John

User Info Menu

for you jeff beck-jan hammer fans...a track-blue wind- from their hollywood bowl reunion from 2016

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    doesn't get much better for an (original 70's) fusion quartet....stanley clarke, jan hammer, bill connors and tony williams

cheers

This plus Inner Mounting Flame got me through my 15th year of life. I'd love to hear them both again, though with the ears I had then.

User Info Menu

Listening to a couple of cuts, I wonder if JH gets enough credit for his contribution to MO? And, I guess, by extension, to fusion history.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 12-12-2019 at 09:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Yep - here's one you missed - a remarkable, unique record - one of my all time favourites - which I place on a pedestal level with 'Sergeant Pepper' for inventiveness and innovation - and which some might call proto-fusion (occasional background horns on a couple of tracks) or prog-rock:-

The Soft Machine - Volume II - Probe Records - 1969

They went on to be more decisively and sophisticatedly jazz-rock in subsequent years, but not as gripping - that 1969 year was one of amazing inventiveness and breakneck advances in their musical sophistication- from where they'd been to where they were going. Volumes 1 to 4 are essential listening - after that, well, the magic 'progressively' wore off.....

See Youtube: Jazz Bilzen 1969 tienerklanken (11.00 through to 25.50)

For a better sound on this same musical piece, hear their classic studio performance:

'Moon In June' (long version) live at the BBC 1969 (also on YouTube)

And the most razor-sharp, professionally together and blasting-it-out jazz rock gig I ever saw? Chick Corea's 'Return To Forever' (with Bill Connors) at the Guildford Civic Hall, U.K., 1973 (I think!)

Buy the CD of Soft Machine Volume 2 - you'll be glad you did !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    Listening to a couple of cuts, I wonder if JH gets enough credit for his contribution to MO?
    jan hammer was amazing!!! when jeff beck saw the mo while he appreciated mclaughlins obviously advanced shredding skill..it was hammer who appealed to him most..why he hooked up with him!!! and gave him a lot of creative power on becks own "solo" lps!!

hammer was also wicked good on the stanley clarke lp mentioned above..and on timeless..the first john abercrombie solo lp on ecm!!! cobhams spectrum with guitarist tommy bolin!

his great use of the pitch control wheel on early synths to bend notes was particularly attractive to guitar players..beck has based his entire career on it!! via whammy..which he uses constantly!!!

so yeah...agree, jan hammer was an early fusion treasure

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QsDuesBlues
    Yep - here's one you missed - a remarkable, unique record - one of my all time favourites - which I place on a pedestal level with 'Sergeant Pepper' for inventiveness and innovation - and which some might call proto-fusion (occasional background horns on a couple of tracks) or prog-rock:-

The Soft Machine - Volume II - Probe Records - 1969

They went on to be more decisively and sophisticatedly jazz-rock in subsequent years, but not as gripping - that 1969 year was one of amazing inventiveness and breakneck advances in their musical sophistication- from where they'd been to where they were going. Volumes 1 to 4 are essential listening - after that, well, the magic 'progressively' wore off.....

See Youtube: Jazz Bilzen 1969 tienerklanken (11.00 through to 25.50)

For a better sound on this same musical piece, hear their classic studio performance:

'Moon In June' (long version) live at the BBC 1969 (also on YouTube)

And the most razor-sharp, professionally together and blasting-it-out jazz rock gig I ever saw? Chick Corea's 'Return To Forever' (with Bill Connors) at the Guildford Civic Hall, U.K., 1973 (I think!)

Buy the CD of Soft Machine Volume 2 - you'll be glad you did !
    love it..agree..and thanks for that..hugh hoppers (ayers replacement) fuzz bass introduction on vol II...yeah..but i'll stick with soft machine thru terry riley minimalist inspired 7...and even the holdsworthian bundles...they morphed and dipped but always remained innovative

and wyatt still with us...despite it all..

cheers

User Info Menu

Hugh Hopper deserves greater recognition and name dropping. Great player, and really innovative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Hugh Hopper deserves greater recognition and name dropping. Great player, and really innovative.
    Indeed; and he’s on two of the three cuts I posted above. I was lucky enough to catch him at The Knitting Factory back in the ’90s.

User Info Menu

I must also shoutout to Jeff Sipe, Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane for the masterpiece, “Temporal Analogues of Paradise.”

User Info Menu

Brecker Brothers - Heavy Metal BeBop

Also, Weather Report's 3rd album Sweetnighter. I really dig pre Jaco WP.