The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

For his tone, Szabo played a Martin dreadnaught with a sound hole mounted DeArmond pickup. Not sure about his amps. That's a unique rig that gave him a very specific sound.

As for his influences, take 1950s American jazz Hungarian folk music, Indian classical music and rock, add to the pot and stir.
    Try playing an major scale win your B string with the E string allowing to ring constantly and you'll get in the ballpark of some of Szabo's frequent moves. In other words, high pitched drones playing against moving melodies on the lower strings. Also chords with open strings and symmetrical arpeggios - up down back down. That's a very high level explanation of some of just some of the aspects of his sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    For his tone, Szabo played a Martin dreadnaught with a sound hole mounted DeArmond pickup. Not sure about his amps. That's a unique rig that gave him a very specific sound.

As for his influences, take 1950s American jazz Hungarian folk music, Indian classical music and rock, add to the pot and stir.
    Try playing an major scale win your B string with the E string allowing to ring constantly and you'll get in the ballpark of some of Szabo's frequent moves. In other words, high pitched drones playing against moving melodies on the lower strings. Also chords with open strings and symmetrical arpeggios - up down back down. That's a very high level explanation of some of just some of the aspects of his sound.
    Thats a start- and something that I can understand. I am assuming you are talking about the "E string" next to the B

User Info Menu

Yes, play a melody on the B string, starting on the unison E note at the 5th fret with the drone on the high E string. You'll very quickly hear some familiar Szaboisms.

Here's more on his gear: GABOR SZABO'S EQUIPMENT (GUITARS)

User Info Menu

szabo also had a great move with getting his flat top acoustic to feedback on a note..sounding almost like an e-bow...a long sustaining drone that he managed to harness wonderfully..controlled feedback at it's best

young players of the era like coryell and even santana borrowed the idea

his playing was very horizontal...going up and down a string..sitar like...yet he also had his jazz harmony chops...unique player

szabo and attila zoller...two rather obscure but influential players...guitarists guitarists

szabo with a single coil equipped acoustic gibby j160-e..like john lennon used.. with his "sit on" toby amp!!

cheers

User Info Menu

I saw him in the early 70s at the Roxy in Hollywood... Martin D45, DeArmond pickup, Fender Super Reverb amp.

I was around 14 years old, and I set out to get the same sound. It took a few years, I eventually ended up with a Takemine lawsuit copy of the D45, the DeArmond pickup, and a Fender Super Reverb amp. Still have the Takemine and the DeArmond pickup is somewhere in the house/garage. I've had those for over 40 years. The guitar is the one on the left of the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone wanna talk about Gabor Szabo?-guitars-jpg 

User Info Menu

his use of the feedback does the same same thing to a song that bowing a bass does for me. It's some great stuff.

User Info Menu

Gabor is great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Gabor is great!
    After listening him all evening long, I have to agree!

I just noticed that on Belsta River the bass player is Pekka Pohjola, who was pretty much the most legendary bassist/composer in Finland (from that era, and otherwise too). If you haven't heard him, check out his solo albums. If I say Zappa asked him to join his band at one point, it should be reference enough..

User Info Menu

Yes, play a melody on the B string, starting on the unison E note at the 5th fret with the drone on the high E string. You'll very quickly hear some familiar Szaboisms.

Here's more on his gear: GABOR SZABO'S EQUIPMENT (GUITARS)
    Hello, I am excited to find a group that is interested in Gabor...I've loved him since finding Bacchanal and I've never met anyone else who likes him despite living in NYC and working jazz nights in bars in Brooklyn.

(Shrug emoji)

I am going to be more thoughtful in reading your replies to how he arrived at his tone...my understanding was he had a guitar that went out of tune a lot so he crafted drones so he could compensate...I don't really understand. Has anyone else read this? Does it make sense to downtune the top strings because your guitar goes out of tune?

User Info Menu

szabo and attila zoller...two rather obscure but influential players...guitarists guitarists

Thanks for the heads up on Zoller...are there any other artists that you would recommend?

I always read that Gabor's quirk was a result of his guitar falling out of tune...but he obviously had a respect for the sitar and oud...

User Info Menu

My very first guitar influences were Barney Kessel, Wes (with his brothers), and Gabor Sczabo and Dennis Budimir with Chico Hamilton. I had an excellent teacher and mentor in my teens who knew him. While my teacher was very mainstream bop, he had great admiration for Gabor's playing and musicianship.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beneluxer

Thanks for the heads up on Zoller...are there any other artists that you would recommend?
    hey welcome aboard

guitarist brad shepik (schoeppach)...especially early on, with groups- pachora, and the tiny bell trio

check this thread for more info and some vids

brad shepik

cheers

User Info Menu

I have been going on reading after reading. But has anyone came Close to getting the sound that Gabor giton His guitar !? The new Pickups do not seem to even get closer to his sound.

Please help, i am in Desperate search for his sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PremTiw
    I have been going on reading after reading. But has anyone came Close to getting the sound that Gabor giton His guitar !? The new Pickups do not seem to even get closer to his sound.

Please help, i am in Desperate search for his sound.
    https://reverb.com/ca/item/67989270-...undhole-pickup

and the proper Martin of course.....

S

User Info Menu

Szarbò's sound was produced by recording equipment that was primitive by our standards. Trying to replicate it with pickups alone would be very difficult.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Szarbò's sound was produced by recording equipment that was primitive by our standards. Trying to replicate it with pickups alone would be very difficult.
    Indeed, difficult... especially without his hand.

(and Szabó (or Szabo) and not Sczabo or Szarbó for God's sake)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Szarbò's sound was produced by recording equipment that was primitive by our standards.
    I would not call 30in. per sec/2in. analog tape equipment and all the outboard you could use without latency primitive!

S

User Info Menu

User Info Menu