The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just a brief heads-up for Jim Hall fans.

Jim's album "Jim Hall In Berlin/ It's Nice To Be With You" has had a lower priced CD re-issue as of last month.

It's from 1969, and features Jimmy Woode (b) and the great Daniel Humair (d).

I had to recommend this because it includes possibly the greatest recording of "Body & Soul" that I can think of by any guitarist.

Available here:

Amazon.com: Jim Hall: ItS Nice to Be with You: Music

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Nice-You...words=jim+hall

Ps. Can't help but think the Bockwurst sign in the background, and the smirk on Jim's face, on the cover is an in-joke..Well.. it was the late 60's...... Carry On Jim...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like something for the wish list. Love his playing and his sound on this - the title track is on youtube:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Just a brief heads-up for Jim Hall fans.

Jim's album "Jim Hall In Berlin/ It's Nice To Be With You" has had a lower priced CD re-issue as of last month.

It's from 1969, and features Jimmy Woode (b) and the great Daniel Humair (d).

I had to recommend this because it includes possibly the greatest recording of "Body & Soul" that I can think of by any guitarist.

Available here:

Amazon.com: Jim Hall: ItS Nice to Be with You: Music

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Nice-You...words=jim+hall

Ps. Can't help but think the Bockwurst sign in the background, and the smirk on Jim's face, on the cover is an in-joke..Well.. it was the late 60's...... Carry On Jim...

You're not saying what i think you're saying about that cover?
    I've looked at the cover, and never had any thoughts along those lines.
    It would be even more intense if that chick was the actress Jeanie Berlin...

User Info Menu

I doubt that the joke was along those lines considering that the 'chick' is Jim's daughter, Devra. Incidentally, his wife wrote the title tune.

User Info Menu

I take it all back, maybe I just watched too many "Carry On" movies over Christmas.

Either that, or maybe I spent too long reading that thread on "ridiculous album covers" in the "Everything Else" section.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I doubt that the joke was along those lines considering that the 'chick' is Jim's daughter, Devra. Incidentally, his wife wrote the title tune.
    Now this is getting really twisted; Jan Hall is a psychoanalyst, what with Freudian symbolism and all, this could be some kind of message from her...
    This could be a good idea for a psycho-thriller.
    Then again, Freud did say that sometimes a Brockwurst is just a Brockwurst...

User Info Menu

This thread is bringing out the wurst in people.

And there were some great links on it as well.....
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 01-26-2015 at 09:26 PM.

User Info Menu

This recording is also available from Amazon as a digital download for $5.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Nice-Be-Yo...words=jim+hall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    is it Devra or did you accidently hit the V next to the B key when you were typing?
    anyway, I've had the album for yrs. and always thought it was his wife Jane Hall in the pic...
    sounds like I stand corrected...

User Info Menu

No, Devra Hall Levy is her name (she married George Shearing's original bassist, the late John Levy).

User Info Menu

there are two of him on e.g. funny valentine - that's unusual isn't it against the rules? - jimmy raney did it somewhere too didn't he (i.e. double track)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad
    there are two of him on e.g. funny valentine - that's unusual isn't it against the rules? - jimmy raney did it somewhere too didn't he (i.e. double track)?
    Hall of Mirrors? Yes, Jimmy Raney's "Solo" album contains overdubbed duets making the title something of a misnomer.