The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

2 hours of DG in a straight-ahead quartet setting, shredding on an ES-175.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Thanx for the link!
    I never knew he was so Wes influenced- his octave soloing was superb!
    I liked when he threw those rockabilly licks into bop tunes.

User Info Menu

Thank God he can play because that tone at around the 4min mark ... :P

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Thank God he can play because that tone at around the 4min mark ... :P
    I never noticed the tone.

User Info Menu

DG was quite a talent. He had a good sense of self, too--not a stuck up guy. John Previti, his bassist in the video, was also quite a humble fellow. My best friend and longest musical acquaintance used to take lessons from John.

SamBooka is right about that tone though. It gets a little thin around 4:00.

User Info Menu

Never doubted he could do that. That said, I'd much rather hear him be Danny Gatton.

User Info Menu

I like very much playing of Chris Battistone on trumpet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by logictweek

2 hours of DG in a straight-ahead quartet setting, shredding on an ES-175.
    BTW it is an ES295

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    BTW it is an ES295
    Thanks for that info, I didn't know about the 295.. I know I'd never seen a gold ES-175 with a Bigsby before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by logictweek
    Thanks for that info, I didn't know about the 295.. I know I'd never seen a gold ES-175 with a Bigsby before.
    Also know at the Scotty Moore guitar. Scotty played guitar for Elvis Presley in the early days. Some 295's didn't have the Bigsby they had this long combination trapeze bridge.

User Info Menu

i enjoyed that up to a point.
    he is obviously a great guitarist but he just doesn't have enough jazz language for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt
    he is obviously a great guitarist but he just doesn't have enough jazz language for me.
    +1
    He is a master of Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt
    I have to agree. I love Danny's thing and he was a phenomenal player in his own arena, but his phrasing and comping for that matter leave a lot to be desired in a jazz context. It was less about tone for me and more about note choices.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite Gatton releases:

User Info Menu

agree that he is a uber tele player but I have to admit I enjoyed his comping more than his soloing..

User Info Menu

I always thought this version was the best thing he got on record.....

User Info Menu

Don't really know much about him, but wow. Strong, strong player.

User Info Menu

cool, and while he's way versatile, Danny's real strength is...

User Info Menu

Put Jimmy Bryant, Les Paul, Roy Buchanan and Earl Scruggs in a blender and you might get Danny Gatton. If you haven't heard Jimmy Bryant:

User Info Menu

Always enjoy a dose of Danny Gatton.

User Info Menu

Whatever bag you want to put Danny in, one thing stands out for me and that is
    the sheer speed of his thought process.

While it's not possible to "know" the thoughts of another person........ playing music,
    especially when it is largely improvised, it does become possible to observe the
    movement from one idea to the next.

I have spent a lot of time watching Danny's performances and what blows me away is his
    mental acuity.
    ....Of course he had the hands well trained and could jump from one approach to another at a fantastic rate.

One of a kind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    Put Jimmy Bryant, Les Paul, Roy Buchanan and Earl Scruggs in a blender and you might get Danny Gatton. If you haven't heard Jimmy Bryant:
    this is true.
    if you watch/listen to the Remington Ride performance I posted, you can especially clearly hear the Bryant influence in his solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    Whatever bag you want to put Danny in, one thing stands out for me and that is
    the sheer speed of his thought process.

While it's not possible to "know" the thoughts of another person........ playing music,
    especially when it is largely improvised, it does become possible to observe the
    movement from one idea to the next.

I have spent a lot of time watching Danny's performances and what blows me away is his
    mental acuity.
    ....Of course he had the hands well trained and could jump from one approach to another at a fantastic rate.

One of a kind.
    A little late but here he is in a great jazz tune

Ray