The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 123

User Info Menu

Theo Bleckmann and Dominique Eade are both vocalists with vocal technique, compositional sense, harmonic and melodic vocabulary and range of any instrumentalist. Considered modern, they are both pushing the boundries and solid in the core of the vocal traditions. Improvisers of the highest order. Also have to say I love Mark Murphy, Jill Seifers and Rebecca Martin
    David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz

Wow! I almost cannot imagine having the ears and vocal control to pull that off. There's no hiding behind finger patterns, etc--you gotta know exactly what you're doing all the time. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

I'm more old school, so :
    Sinatra (the Capitol records era, preferably), Nat 'King' Cole, Tony Bennett, Johnny Hartman (well worth seeking out his material !), Mel Torme, Joe Williams (Count Basie), Al Hibbler, Billy Eckstine, Arthur Prysock and Brook Benton, the latter made quite a few LP's of standards and his phrasing and control are exceptional.
    Sarah Vaughan, Ella, Dinah, Billy, Julie London, early Jubilee recordings of Della Reese (Yes, that Della Reese !), Esther Phillips, Carmen McCrae, Nancy Wilson and Aretha Franklin's commercially unsuccessful, but artistically good early Columbia recordings that featured many covers of standards.

Many of these artist's material can be heard on You tube and it's a great way to peruse, listen and separate the wheat from the chaff, if you will !

User Info Menu

You missed One! "Beverly Kenney" A vocal talent gone too soon.

wiz

User Info Menu

The godfather of Vocalese: Mr. Jon Hendricks - 90+ and still performing!!!

I like Curtis Stigers too - he's also a fine tenor player.

Surprised to see no mention so far of Fred Astaire. Great understated singing that really swings.

Apparently, he could dance a bit as well!

User Info Menu

Gregory Porter Kurt Elling Joe Williams George Benson are my favorites.

User Info Menu

New t o the list:
    Diane Schur
    Madeleine Peyroux

A big second or third to:
    Kevin Mahogany
    Nancy Wilson
    Nina Simone

And the top of my list:
    Patti Cathcart (Tuck and Patti)

Yeah, mostly females. Oh well....

User Info Menu

There are lots of great singers, but Nina Simone is the one I love the most. And she's a fantastic jazz pianist as well.
    Last edited by teok; 12-08-2014 at 06:16 PM.

User Info Menu

The great Carmen McCrae and Nina Simone. The underappreciated Abbey Lincoln.

Diana Krall. Really? Can I even mention her as a footnote to these greats? She sold more records, sure. Jazz singer? She is like Gerry Cooney, The Great White Hope, back when Muhammed Ali, George Foremen, Joe Frazier were Kings. And the great Sonny Liston whose brilliant December 1963 cover for Esquire in a Father Christmas cap "scared America because he is the last man on earth America wants to find sliding down your chimney". Anybody remembers Joe Bugner?
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-09-2014 at 12:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I don't begrudge any musician their success. I wish Diana Krall all the best, but I don't enjoy her music.

User Info Menu

Nat Cole!!!!!

User Info Menu

Couple of more singers---admittedly not middle of the road but inspiring

If you're an instrumentalist, you should check out Eddie Jefferson. Manhattan Transfer dedicated their early albums to him and it's interesting to see how he takes classic instrumental versions of jazz tunes and vocalizes them...tells you something about the original (instrumental) line and the human voice...with him, maybe jazz has come full circle---instrumentalists emulating the human voice, and now the circle is completed.

Also Ursula Dudziak---Polish female singer with amazing range (4.5 octaves, maybe more ?!) who played in 70's with her husband Michael Urbaniak and Adam Mackovicz....very pure voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdazey
    I don't begrudge any musician their success. I wish Diana Krall all the best, but I don't enjoy her music.
    I said she sold more records but that was not an issue. I don't begrudge her selling more records but she is no jazz singer. While I don't wish her ill I don't wish her the best either. No reason for me to. She is neither friend nor family.

Michael Bublé sits a lot better with me because Bublé does not pretend to be jazz. Krall does and that offends me with her "jazz" affectations. Tits over Talent. Average singer. Average pianist. Blonde and not too shabby-looking. Marketing execs' dream.

Caveat: The sound and fury represents my own rancour and does not impinge on nor impugn your right to feel otherwise about Krall. Krall gets my craw.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-10-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: My gramma's missing.

User Info Menu

'Jazz singer' is an oxymoron.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Yeah, I dig Harry Connick Jr. and George Benson too.

Ella Fitzgerald and George Benson's scatting chops and jazz vocabulary are pretty much out of this world if you're looking for that aspect of jazz vocalists. Ella is the real deal, imho. Who are the other vocalists that have the jazz improvisation scatting skills that these two have? (for my own listening opportunities).
    well Al Jarreau for one. He can be a bit corny but check out his version of Spain, released in about 1980. man i remember the LA jazz radio station playing the hell out of that thing. a huge jazz hit.

User Info Menu

Johnny Hartman has been mentioned but i will second that and recommend a particular CD - John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman. I read an article years ago that called it the greatest jazz album of all time. anyway, it's a must.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Coltrane-.../dp/B0018RWD6S

i also liked big Joe Williams from the Basie band. He was always great when he came on the Carson show. Now and then I'll hear him in a restaurant or other commercial location and think how great he sounds compared to so many of the contemporary "jazz singers".

User Info Menu

i saw Cecile Mclorin Salvant this fall. pretty darned good.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Al jarreau, Youn Sun Nah, Kurt Elling, Dee Dee Bridgewater, David Linx, Stacey Kent, Bobby McFerrin...

User Info Menu

Lambert, hendricks and ross, wonderful trio with awesome musicians in their recordings.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Has Betty Carter been mentioned?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I said she sold more records but that was not an issue. I don't begrudge her selling more records but she is no jazz singer. While I don't wish her ill I don't wish her the best either. No reason for me to. She is neither friend nor family.

Michael Bublé sits a lot better with me because Bublé does not pretend to be jazz. Krall does and that offends me with her "jazz" affectations. Tits over Talent. Average singer. Average pianist. Blonde and not too shabby-looking. Marketing execs' dream.

Caveat: The sound and fury represents my own rancour and does not impinge on nor impugn your right to feel otherwise about Krall. Krall gets my craw.
    I quite like Diana Krall's records, but perhaps more for the bands she puts together and her piano playing, which I like. In terms of the singing, while I like her voice, I find she doesn't give the words quite enough respect for my personal taste, so her phrasing comes across as a bit contrived. TBH a few current 'jazz' singers sound a bit contrived phrasing wise to my ears.

I think to sing the song simply as Sinatra and Ella while swinging is much, much harder than it sounds, which is of course why pop singers fall down when they try it.

At the moment, Billie Holiday is completely rocking my world. I know it's obvious, but the precision of her timing and phrasing and the way it links to the words is just unique.
    Last edited by christianm77; 12-24-2014 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I prefer Frank Sinatra. His phrasing is impeccable. Don't forget Sarah Vaughan as well as
    Ella Fitzgerald....scat singing....also Anita O'day.

Earl

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Theo Bleckmann and Dominique Eade are both vocalists with vocal technique, compositional sense, harmonic and melodic vocabulary and range of any instrumentalist. Considered modern, they are both pushing the boundries and solid in the core of the vocal traditions. Improvisers of the highest order. Also have to say I love Mark Murphy, Jill Seifers and Rebecca Martin
    David

This girl is good but she was obviously influenced by this version...which in my opinion is the standard.

Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 02-02-2015 at 11:47 AM.