Mary Osborne
    Billy Bauer
    Barry Galbraith
    Hank Garland
    Rene Thomas
    Bucky Pizzarelli
    Sonny Sharock
    Jeff Beck

a partial list that I have...some are pioneers in the jazz guitar field...each one bringing something new forward...

and not forget Andres Segovia who put the guitar on the concert stage as a respectable instrument..

time on the instrument...pierre

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most of those guys are pretty old school (although there is some of my lesser known favorite's)... and no mention of Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery or Django Reinhardt?

User Info Menu

but all of us here should know these by now...

charlie christian - wes montgomery - django - joe pass - herb ellis - howard roberts - tal farlow -etc..

they are old school and we should not forget who the pioneers were...some not as well known to most here but pioneers just the same...

so much to learn..so little time...pierre

User Info Menu

I heard about Ed Bickert on this forum, he's a Canadian guitarist who does some amazing comping and melodic soloing.. check him out if you haven't already I was blown away

User Info Menu

Hi, I am Barbara and I am new in this forum.
    Pierre mentioned above Joe Pass, who is my favorite guitarrist. Has anybody of you some tabulature of him?
    Ciao, Barbara

User Info Menu

Hello Barbara welcome to the site. Try here
    Joe Pass Tabs: 334 Tabs Total @ 911Tabs - Tabs Search Engine
    You should bookmark 911Tabs. There's not a lot of jazz there but there's some Kenny Burrell and a few others.

User Info Menu

Hey Barbara.......these should help some...

www.guitartabsdaily.com
    www.tabsolutely.com
    www.tabscout.com

should get you started...

scribd.com has his method book and a book of transcriptions also

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

For players from the fifties,

youtube some of the country guys, they are very very good, for instance, Speedy West.super clean, tasty, great chops, keeps the tunes short and sweet.

or Thumbs Carlyle, if you go to one guy, you end up with bunch of names.

also, an Albertan (for chickn pickn) Red Volkaert. lots of You tube for him, and if as I do, you like chickn pickn, he is very good.

If you don't know what chickn pickn is, you should take a listen.

Ray C. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    For players from the fifties,

youtube some of the country guys, they are very very good, for instance, Speedy West.super clean, tasty, great chops, keeps the tunes short and sweet.

or Thumbs Carlyle, if you go to one guy, you end up with bunch of names.

also, an Albertan (for chickn pickn) Red Volkaert. lots of You tube for him, and if as I do, you like chickn pickn, he is very good.

If you don't know what chickn pickn is, you should take a listen.
    Indeed. The line from Merle Travis-Chet Atkins-Lenny Breau is worth checking out and getting into. It's obvious to many, but I'm sure there are some young players on this board who may not be familiar with Merle Travis.

User Info Menu

Joe Maphis was another one...of those swing country players...

I've heard Thumbs before and Speedy too..

How bout Jonnny "Guitar Boogie" Smith...obscure to most...I have one of his albums (yea 33 1/3 LP)...I can just hear it now after all these years..

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

It's quite amazing how many outstanding players there are.

And with the explosion of guitar, since the Beatles, think of how many very good players there are, who will always will be, completely unknown. probably lots at this site.

Every City in North America has a number of outstanding players.

A while ago, I saw a guitar player in LA named Rick Zunigar. He had a trio, himself, bass, and drums.

He was as good as anyone there is.

There were about 11 people in the bar. I'm not exaggerating.

Afterwards I spoke to him for a while, no ego, really friendly, nice guy.
    I asked him if there were a lot of good players in LA. He just sorrowfully shook his head, "oh man, a lot of good players" he said.

went home, checked him out at his website. toured with Stevie Wonder, played on 2 of his albums, numerous gigs with many big name jazz players.

check out his site, there are mp3 and free lessons.

User Info Menu

"And with the explosion of guitar, since the Beatles, think of how many very good players there are, who will always will be, completely unknown. probably lots at this site."

That's interesting that you say the Beatles. You may be right, but I always thought the first real explosion took place with Jimi. In any case about the same time. Then, I think, there was another mini-explosion in the 1980s or late 1970's with Van Halen and FAST guitar stuff.

I think you're basic point is also right though. Guitarists EVERYWHERE. Some quite good. If we had only lived in the 40s or 50's, damnit!!

User Info Menu

Danny Gatton is truly amazing!!

User Info Menu

The way I heard it... Hendrix closed out the era of "wall-of-sound" or "baroque"- style pop when he opened one of the last Walker Brothers concerts in England. He held his own sonically, to say the least, against their full orchestra and among the people in the audience were members of the Beatles and Eric Clapton who all went more or less electric as a result of Hendrix's performance at that show.

A new electric guitar-hero was born...
    Last edited by Squint; 03-24-2009 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I like History - it's so flexible.(lol) When Hendrix arrived in UK in 1966 Clapton had already recorded with Yardbirds and John Mayall (the "Beano" album) - both albums completely electric. I also think that Duane Eddy was the first electric guitar hero.

And Franco I got 88 Elmira St album by Danny Gatton yesterday and he has some serious chops. That treble pickup on the Tele takes some getting used to though!

The guitarist I wanted to give a plug for is Rez Abbasi. I recently got the album Apti by Rudresh Mahanthappa Indo-Pak Coalition and Abbasi's playing is very slick, if a bit mainstream. Some of the sitar-guitar work adds a nice flavour too. Here's Abbasi's site with decent sounclips (90 secs instead of the 30 sec ones where the drummer hasn't even counted them in yet! I think record companies need to understand that the 30 second sample doesn't work with jazz)
    http://reztone.com/music.html

User Info Menu

yep..Duane Eddy was the first guitar hero..Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel...red cover with him and his American Made (Brooklyn?) Gretsch 6120...recorded on the Jamie label in Philadelphia,Pa...I still have some 45s and that first album..

Then the ventures came along...the 2 guitars,bass and drum format that was to last for years..

time on the instrument..pierre (who got his first guitar in 1957)

User Info Menu

Regarding Danny Gatton, he's got quite a catalogue of CD's. His last CD with Joey D on organ is really good. Better than 88 Elmyra.

User Info Menu

You are correct, sir! Noted and edited, Banksie. I was speaking from the perspective of pop music in general and the whole "out with baroque" movement...

Thanks for the correction!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    The guitarist I wanted to give a plug for is Rez Abbasi. I recently got the album Apti by Rudresh Mahanthappa Indo-Pak Coalition and Abbasi's playing is very slick, if a bit mainstream. Some of the sitar-guitar work adds a nice flavour too. Here's Abbasi's site with decent sounclips (90 secs instead of the 30 sec ones where the drummer hasn't even counted them in yet! I think record companies need to understand that the 30 second sample doesn't work with jazz)
    http://reztone.com/music.html
    The album Snake Charmer by Rez Abbasi is great!

User Info Menu

Duane Eddy? Maybe the absolute first "guitar star", but certainly Hendrix had the much vaster influence and legacy (especially AFTER his death). And that applies even to "jazz". After hearing Hendrix, Miles legendarily told Mclaughlin (ow was it Mike Stern) to play like Jimi. It wasn't the electric guitar revolution. That was long already in place. It was the sonic pyrotechnics, the sound effects, the horn-like style and the extraordinary madness stage, for lack of a better word.

I can't buy it. Jimi may not have been the first guitar "hero", but then he was the first guitar "superhero"!!

User Info Menu

Danny Gatton has that sort of very trebly, twangy sound that appeals to country music listeners, I suppose. It is not my favorite sound, of course. I turh the treble almost all the way off and always hated clean, trebly sound. But I have been impressed with his playing in general. I only learned about him a few months ago and thought I would mention his name here.

Most of "the greats" that I know of are pretty well known on this forum already: Wes, Joe, George, Jim Hall, Martino, Metheny, Ted Greene, Scofield, Abercrombie, etc..

User Info Menu

i'd like to throw out the names of jim campilongo, lage lund, and ray crawford. don't think any of them get enough due on this board...

User Info Menu

dont think anyone has mentioned lenny breau yet...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bailz
    dont think anyone has mentioned lenny breau yet...

I would hope everyone on this type of forum knows about Lenny Breau. If not, you haven't heard anything yet.
    Last edited by franco6719; 03-26-2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: more specific

User Info Menu

Yes and Yes Franco. I think Hendrix is definitely the most influential player in the history of electric guitar. If you go to some of the Rock or Metal guitar sites you find 14 and 15-year old players who list Hendrix among their favourite players.
    The other Yes is Lenny Breau! I've watched the Tal Farlow DVD where Tal and Lenny are playing a club in Jersey and in the middle of the songs Tal seems to watching Lenny and thinking "How is he doing all this stuff?" If you've got enough technique to impress Tal Farlow then you must be special. I particularly enjoy "The Complete Living Room Tapes" with Brad Terry. Even Lenny's singing on My Foolish Heart is passable.