The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Gotta say Im a huge doug raney fan. Love his tone and feel, reminds me of martino with more emotion and a little smoother. His records with chet baker are superb, IMO his best playing.
    Does anyone know about his gear?
    Ive seen him with an ibanez gb20 and what looks like a gibson es350 also Looks like he uses a gibson l7 with a p90 in the neck which I'd love to know how that came about if that's even what that is.
    well if anyone knows more about this artist and his gear I'd love to hear!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Doug is one of my favorite players and sounds a lot like his father, Jimmy Raney, with perhaps a slightly darker tone. He has made several good albums including a few with his father. They are both very exciting, creative jazz guitar players who seem to never run out of melodic ideas during improvision of any song. One of the things on my bucket list is to see him playing live if he ever comes back to the USA.

wiz

Last edited by wizard3739; 09-28-2014 at 12:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I am also a Doug Raney fan. I wish I could answer your question about his gear but I could not find anything anywhere on the internet.

I did find this interview, which is five-part series on Youtube. Maybe there will be something in there about his gear?

Thanks, I've seen those videos, in fact watch them incessantly haha his lines are so smooth and tastefull and that tone!!

User Info Menu

Doug's the man! He synthesized his father's stylistic approach with that of Martino (that's what it sounds like to my ears) - incredible player and aesthete on the guitar. I really dig his record "Cuttin Loose"

User Info Menu

I read that Doug used polytone amps like his dad. This came from a young jazz and rock guitarist who appeared to live over in the country that Doug now resides.

The young guitarist could not name the make/model.

He also wrote that Doug used Gibsons, but did not say which exact model.

Wow poly tone,, cool I didn't know jimmy raney used those

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Comeau
    Wow poly tone,, cool I didn't know jimmy raney used those
    Of course, that was late in his career. In the early days and his early recordings it was tube amps. But at least one source on this forum wrote that he used an ES-175 and a Polytone Minibrute iv.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney | The Raney Legacy

Apparently, Doug's Raney's first Jazz guitar was a Gibson L-7. You can probably see it in many photos, which could establish how long it was his "go to" guitar.

This is a nice website about the Raney musicians.

And here is Doug's latest CD but note that it goes back around 4 years or so:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Ballads-.../dp/B002B9VADE
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 09-29-2014 at 10:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow. He's a great player. What is he doing these days?

He lives in copenhagen I'm not sure if he's actively playing. I've read he had some health issues, not really sure tho

User Info Menu

From his brother Jon's website:

Happy Birthday Doug Raney ? 2014 | The Raney Legacy

User Info Menu

There was an interview of Doug in Just Jazz Guitar (August 2005) written by Jerry Jensen. Doug states he plays an L7 cutaway and the pickup is "a Gibson bar pickup from an original 150 I think the one they called the Charlie Christian model." The first of his L7s was altered to install the pickup while the second already already had a hole cut out for a pickup. He also has his Dad's Hofner (Atilla Zoller model), but prefers the Gibson.

In the interview, Doug mentions that his brother Jon has his dad's D'Aquisto Fender. You can see Jimmy playing it on some of the YouTube clips; I think it's the same guitar Doug is holding on the cover of "Back in New York" and "The Backbeat." I don't know if he used it on those albums.

In terms of amps, Doug says in the interview that he mainly uses a Polytone minibrute, but was thinking about getting and AER amp.

Edit: I think Doug was referring to the ES-150 being the "Charlie Christian model", rather than the pickup being a CC model pickup. The ES-150 was initially produced with the CC pickup but later was available with a P90. In every picture of Doug's L7 that I've seen, it appears to have a P90, so I think Doug was saying he installed a P90 from an old ES-150.
    Last edited by farlow; 10-04-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Clarification

User Info Menu

I think he played at the 2013 Copenhagen Jazz Festival, but not in 2014. I think I'll ask some local players what's up with him

User Info Menu

yaclaus, if you hear of any gigs Doug will be playing, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post them on the forum. Thanks!

User Info Menu

you can see the mounting screw of the CC pickup in the top.
    His tone is very warm on this record (and all the others).

He is on a 2013 recording by jesper lundgaard which is on iTunes.
    Last edited by fritz jones; 10-04-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Wow great info!!

Came across this, claims to be doug on guitar dosnt really look like him but I'm not sure

Doug raney-image-jpgDoug raney-image-jpg
    That that looks like an l7 with a p90

User Info Menu

Another article states Doug is a part of that band, but to me, that does not look like Doug at this performance. Maybe someone else stepped in for this show?

User Info Menu

I have sad news about Doug. I do not wish to explain too much about his situation, but he is currently homeless and not doing well. While I do not live in Copenhagen, but 3 hours away, I will see if I can start a small charity fund for him. Just for some flowers, chocolate and maybe even a guitar if he wants one. Sad story.
    Last edited by yaclaus; 10-06-2014 at 04:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    I have sad news about Doug. I do not wish to explain too much about his situation, but he is currently homeles and not doing well. While I do not live in Copenhagen, but 3 hours away, I will see if I can start a small charity fund for him. Just for some flowers, chocolate and maybe even a guitar if he wants one. Sad story.
    this is pretty heart-breaking, can't imagine things getting any worse for real musicians (and oh yes it will). this guy is a legend, and if this is true, I'm at a loss for words

This is awful!! Is this true? It's heartbreaking this guy is indeed a legend and one of my musical inspirations/hero.
    I'm at a loss wtf

User Info Menu

So sad to have brought this up, but it is credible information. Within this week I'll make a new thread with greetings and see what I can do to set up a meeting with him and "help" with what I can.

Doug raney-image-jpgOn a lighter note here's a pic with what looks to be an l7 that at one time had the charlie Christian pickup but now a p90