The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

"I confess I enjoy the pop stuff- Road Song, A Day in the Life, Down Here on the Ground."

OMG!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You got some good albums to get started with. Anything that Wes did on the Riverside label is worth its weight in gold! Some others to check out are Boss Guitar, and my personal favorite, Guitar on the Go.

There is also a great album called Cannonball Adderlly and the Poll Winners that has Wes on guitar very early in his career. Great stuff on that album, plus some amazing playing by Cannonball.

User Info Menu

The Trio recordings with Mel Rhyne!

DG

User Info Menu

I love every note of him.

wes=god

I'm not going to make any friends for recommending one of his A&M releases, but you really owe it yourself to listen to Road Song, over and over.

This was his last commercial release before his death. Lots of folks dismiss much of later work, but he's just as intense on much of his A&M work. Road Song contains much reflective material. Also has the best arrangements of any of his later albums. I thought the baroque introductions were very well arranged and orchestrated.

User Info Menu

"Bags meets Wes" by Wes and Milt Jackson is a good one from 1961. It may be listed as a Milt Jackson LP in some sites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steam-powered
    I'm not going to make any friends for recommending one of his A&M releases, but you really owe it yourself to listen to Road Song, over and over.
    I love the A&M stuff.

User Info Menu

Listen to "Round Midnight" and "Too Late Now" from Wes Montgomery Trio (w. Mel Rhyne).

Midnight is the most complete Jazz Guitar solo ever recorded and shows Wes' approach best of all:

Single Notes followed by Octaves followed by Chords - perfect!

DG

User Info Menu

I love and I play a lot of wes montgomery song.

User Info Menu

Buy a few discs and then make your own compilation cd of your favorite songs. With this in mind the Riverside box set would be a good source of material.