The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Anyone ever noticed how Barnes held the pick? He held it with his thumb and _second finger_. His first finger pointed straight at the strings. Unorthodox, but man, oh, man he sure got around just fine.
    I hadn't seen Barnes play and did not know this about him, but Monk pointed it out to me in a conversation we had about different pick grips. (I was desperate until Benson, and now I am happy all the day! ;o)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If our moderator will forgive a little shameless promotion in the name of information, there's a new interview about Barnes life and career with his daughter Alexandra included in my just-published book, Guitar Dreams. He was a fascinating guy, great musician and a true prodigy on the instrument - he turned pro at 12!

volkmedia.com/Volkmedia.com/Guitar_Dreams_Book

User Info Menu

Does anyone have his Guitar methods book? I've been searching everywhere for a pdf and can't seem to find one.

User Info Menu

They are very hard to find - I don't have them myself. His daughter is selling lots of his tuition material on her website devoted to her father, but at a high price.

User Info Menu

I saw that she had them on her website for something like $100, but man there has to be a cheaper way to get it. I'd be open to buying it from her as well as the other material she has on there if it weren't hundreds of dollars to do so.

User Info Menu

My thoughts too!

User Info Menu

I just started listening to George Barnes (what a gifted player he was, huh?), specifically Guitars Anyone on iTunes, and I can hear, without a doubt, where Cal Collins got his influence from. The quick trills, the piercing highs with short blasts of fury. It's all there. Very cool to see (hear?) these types of connections

User Info Menu

Yeah! Don't Get Around Much Anymore is probably in my top 5 albums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    I just started listening to George Barnes (what a gifted player he was, huh?), specifically Guitars Anyone on iTunes, and I can hear, without a doubt, where Cal Collins got his influence from. The quick trills, the piercing highs with short blasts of fury. It's all there. Very cool to see (hear?) these types of connections
    Interesting! I never thought about it that way, but now I see what you mean. And let's not forget the bends. George and Cal both have something reminescent of country or western swing in some of what they do too.

I have always felt that Tal Farlow's tone and phrasing might have been an important influence on Cal, but I definitely can hear the Barnes connection, now that you said it.

Moreover, the fact that Cal had also been a bluegrass mandolin player certainly has influenced his develoment as a jazz guitarist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    he should be a major name in blues guitar history too.
    He IS a major name in blues guitar history.
    (For those who are students of blues guitar history)

Back when Broonzy was Chicago's juke-box king, Barnes was often on the session, too.
    Can't remember how old was he when he started recording.
    Sixteen, was it?

Anyway.... great, important, historic musician.

Volume 2 has some incredible guitar playing from Mr. Barnes too.

His rendition of Hound Dog shows a super-cool arpeggio lick for the V change at about 1:00. The song is in C and Barnes plays a Dm triad starting from D (than F and A) and adding a nice motive C-D-Eb-D on top.
    It's pretty fast and very smooth, sounds like he's alternate picking instead of sweeping to my ear.

How would you guys play that line?? Any suggestion about position and fingering?
    Last edited by Mark78_blues; 08-18-2015 at 06:02 PM.

User Info Menu

check this very hip jsb arrangement by barnes..very downtown modern sounding

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    check this very hip jsb arrangement by barnes..very downtown modern sounding

cheers
    Thank you, it's Bach and still it's George Barnes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark78_blues
    Volume 2 has some incredible guitar playing from Mr. Barnes too.

His rendition of Hound Dog shows a super-cool arpeggio lick for the V change at about 1:00. The song is in C and Barnes plays a Dm triad starting from D (than F and A) and adding a nice motive C-D-Eb-D on top.
    It's pretty fast and very smooth, sounds like he's alternate picking instead of sweeping to my ear.

How would you guys play that line?? Any suggestion about position and fingering?
    Mark78_Blues,

The first solo is Barnes, the second solo, with the lick that you asked about, is Jethro Burns playing mandolin. I'm not certain who played the third solo but Hank Garland and Grady Martin are likely candidates. If I had to guess, I'd say Garland.
    Regards,
    Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Mark78_Blues,

The first solo is Barnes, the second solo, with the lick that you asked about, is Jethro Burns playing mandolin. I'm not certain who played the third solo but Hank Garland and Grady Martin are likely candidates. If I had to guess, I'd say Garland.
    Regards,
    Jerome
    Thanks for the info Jerome, you're right Barnes plays the first solo!
    Actually this should be the line-up for that session:

157 G2-WB-7664 HOUN‘ DAWG 20/47-6706/CAS-948 [alt.:] BFX-15281
    2 October 1956 [13:30-16:30] RCA Victor Studio, 155 East 24th St., Manhattan, New York City – Homer and Jethro (Henry D. Haynes [vcl/gt], Kenneth C. Burns [vcl/mandolin], Chet Atkins [gt],George Barnes [gt], Charles Grean [bass], Irving Goldberg [drums], Bob Davis [piano]. Producer: Steve Sholes)

Still that second solo doesn't sound like mandolin to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark78_blues
    Thanks for the info Jerome, you're right Barnes plays the first solo!
    Actually this should be the line-up for that session:

157 G2-WB-7664 HOUN‘ DAWG 20/47-6706/CAS-948 [alt.:] BFX-15281
    2 October 1956 [13:30-16:30] RCA Victor Studio, 155 East 24th St., Manhattan, New York City – Homer and Jethro (Henry D. Haynes [vcl/gt], Kenneth C. Burns [vcl/mandolin], Chet Atkins [gt],George Barnes [gt], Charles Grean [bass], Irving Goldberg [drums], Bob Davis [piano]. Producer: Steve Sholes)

Still that second solo doesn't sound like mandolin to me

that's because you are expecting it to sound like a typical 8 string acoustic mandolin…sounds like burns is using a brand new (at the time-1956) fender electric mando-caster (4 strings!)..leo fender was huge country fan, and i'd bet he got one of his early production models to burns...

George Barnes-fender-jpg

btw the first solo sounds like pure barnes…but the third solo is very crude for chet atkins..hard to believe

some heavyweights tho, for what is essentially a novelty tune

cheers

User Info Menu

ps- just found this pic of homer & jethro..

George Barnes-jethro_burns-jpg

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    that's because you are expecting it to sound like a typical 8 string acoustic mandolin…sounds like burns is using a brand new (at the time-1956) fender electric mando-caster (4 strings!)..leo fender was huge country fan, and i'd bet he got one of his early production models to burns...

George Barnes-fender-jpg

btw the first solo sounds like pure barnes…but the third solo is very crude for chet atkins..hard to believe

some heavyweights tho, for what is essentially a novelty tune

cheers
    Thank you, I'm learning a lot of new stuff here!
    I've had heard some Jethro's acoustic stuff but never the mandocaster, which sounds great by the way.
    That could also explain the fast arpeggio which would be weird on the guitar but more natural on mandolin. Those D and A notes actually sound as open strings (third and second strings on the mandolin). I play a little mandolin myself.

Still in the solo you can hear some low notes that you won't have in a 4 string mandolin in standard tuning!

As for the last solo, couldn't be homer?

Cheers

User Info Menu

I was lucky enough to catch the guitar duo of Geo. Barmes and Bucky P. many times in NY during the early 70s.
    They seemed to be everywhere.
    When I saw him and Bucky at Carnegie Recital Hall, I happened to be outside when George was just coming out after a great concert. He was about to load his tweed Fender Tremolux into the taxi waiting for him.
    I had the honor of loading the amp into the taxi for him, and telling him how great the concert was, and he seemed very pleased.
    Carnegie Recital Hall was probably the best place in the world to hear a duo like that, because of the perfect acoustics and size of the small hall. The audience was absolutely silent there, unlike jazz clubs and large halls.
    I caught the Jim Hall and Ron Carter duo there the same year, and it was equally exquisite.

I resolved that my goal in life would be to play a concert there someday, and a few years later, I was called to accompany a singer there.

On a break after the sound check, I took a pen and scrawled "sgcim was here" on the floor in the back of the stage to immortalize the realization of my dream.
    A few minutes later, the stage manager yelled out, "Where the hell is sgcim?"
    He gave me a little bucket, sponge and soap, and stood there while I scrubbed out the immortalization of my life's goal, in abject humiliation...

Hi, anyone knows if is it possible to find somewhere The "George Barnes Electric guitar method? or some pdf ?
    I love his playing and tecnique. Thanks

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

HA!

Yes! George Barnes.

Lemme see, lemme see:

I love his work with Ruby Braff, and the banter they created on stage from the live recordings I have.

That twang a lang, mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

They also played the hell outta the Beatles catalog.

I love the Bach rendition, btw. Who is that on clarinet, Kenny Davern or Kenny Peplowski (EDIT: nope)? I love those guys too! I was watching Amadeus last night with my g/f. I can still hear that high pitched cackle. I picked up the ol' guitar and played through some Mozart from memory. My pops raised me on that stuff, hope it will find a way into my playing some day...
    Last edited by Irez87; 01-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.