The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 100

User Info Menu

The other day I was looking for help with "Six Appeal," the Benny Goodman tune that features a great Charlie Christian solo. I wanted help comping the changes. I posted about that and someone mentioned material about that very tune on Jonathan Stout's website. Cool stuff, very helpful.

Swing Guitar Blog — Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five featuring Hilary Alexander

Also, he's a member of this site.

Here's a clip of him doing a block chord solo for "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." I could listen to stuff like this all day....

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 10-15-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Spelled name wrong

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Excellent Mark.
    I'm just following this guy now..
    Amazing job keeping the early days alive...

User Info Menu

Chordal Solos....

Love'em

User Info Menu

I discovered Jonathan (aka campusfive)'s blog about a year ago, and promptly read every post -- including his old legacy blog. Awesome stuff. There are still a whole bunch swing guitar lessons that he's posted that are sitting on my To Do List. As far as I'm concerned, Jonathan is the man when it comes to all things swing, and lucky for us he chimes in with his opinions where they are needed on the JGF.

He is also a self-proclaimed "vintage lifestyle enthusiast", and I hope he'll pop by and tell us a bit more about that!

User Info Menu

What does "JGO" stand for?

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Look up... waaay up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    What does "JGO" stand for?

Thanks in advance.
    JGO stands for Jazz Guitar Online. That's the name of this place, Also! (Many of us--me included--tend to call it the Jazz Guitar Forum, but the name of this place is Jazz Guitar Online, and the Forum area is one part of that.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    He is also a self-proclaimed "vintage lifestyle enthusiast", and I hope he'll pop by and tell us a bit more about that!
    That's a new one on me, "vintage lifestyle enthusiast." I'd like to hear more about that too!

User Info Menu

This guy is killing. Awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    This guy is killing. Awesome!
    What makes it more amazing is that Jonathon started out as a dancer. (Swing dance, Lindy hopper) At least that is my understanding from the following skype interview. (It's not about playing guitar so much as it is about the swing dance community.(That's my term; I don't know that it would be his.)

User Info Menu

Here's a clip of the orchestra doing "Man From Mars," an Artie Shaw tune discussed in the interview posted above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    JGO stands for Jazz Guitar Online. That's the name of this place, Also! (Many of us--me included--tend to call it the Jazz Guitar Forum, but the name of this place is Jazz Guitar Online, and the Forum area is one part of that.)
    JGO - Jazz Guitar Online with the Jazz Guitar Forum.

OK. I got it now.

Sometimes I just have to say, "God bless me!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    JGO - Jazz Guitar Online with the Jazz Guitar Forum.

OK. I got it now.
    You know, my email folder for reported posts I need to hang on to is titled "JGF." I always called this place Jazz Guitar Forum until a) I notice the Jazz Guitar Online logo on the home page and I heard back from guitarists I emailed and that's how they referred to this place.

User Info Menu

Here's Jonathon doing "Diga Diga Doo."

One cool thing about his swing guitar blog is that he posts play-alongs (soundcloud) for some essential swing tunes. And I mean cool-swing-rhythm-guitar-comping play-alongs (often with charts to match if you need 'em, and I generally need 'em.)

User Info Menu

Since someone (ehem, Mark) was nice enough to start a thread about me, I thought I'd share here the first official news that we have a new album coming out 6/20. It's been 10 years since my last record, so this is long overdue.

Jonathan Stout: Pre-Bebop Jazz Guitarist (and JGO member)-draft-2-1-smaller-jpg

1. Honeysuckle Rose "ala Basie" (Razaf/Waller)
    2. Tunis In (Thompson)
    3. Just About Right for Me (Alhert)
    4. You've Got Me Voodoo'd (Armstrong/Lawrence/Russell)
    5. Cheek to Cheek (Berlin)
    6. Mill House Stomp (Stout)
    7. Limehouse Blues (Furber/Braham)
    8. Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me (Swanstone/McCarron/Morgan)
    9. Sunday (Miller/Cohn/Stein/Krueger)
    10. Spreadin' Rhythm Around (McHugh/Koehler)
    11. Rose Room (Hickman/Williams)
    12. Sweets (Basie/Edison)
    13. Miss Brown to You (Robin/Ranger/Whiting)
    14. Undecided (Shavers/Robin)

The album is very much a show of swing guitar in context. There's always rhythm guitar, but some cuts feature Charlie Christian-style electric solos, and others more Allan Reuss-style acoustic chord melody solos. For the guitar gear geeks (like me), the tracks are cobbled together from several sessions 2013-2016, so you'll hear my Eastman 805 and my old fake-Charlie Christian guitar, as well as my 1932 L-5 and 1937 ES-150.

It'll be available on CD, as well as Bandcamp, iTunes, CDBaby, and all the rest of the usual sources.
    I'll put up links as soon as I have them - Cheers!

User Info Menu

Wow!!! That's really great news!!

Looking forward to hear.

User Info Menu

I hope the jazz police don't find this thread. Jonathan Stout: Pre-Bebop Jazz Guitarist (and JGO member) Great stuff! I've followed Jonathon for a while here, but I don't know there was such a great collection of his playing online.

User Info Menu

I want to know more about this vintage living too! When you come home from work, do you loosen your tie and smoke a pipe before the pot roast and gelatin "salad" hit the table?

Joking aside, I really enjoy your playing. You seem to "get it" as far as how this stuff is played better than just about anybody I hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I want to know more about this vintage living too! When you come home from work, do you loosen your tie and smoke a pipe before the pot roast and gelatin "salad" hit the table?

Joking aside, I really enjoy your playing. You seem to "get it" as far as how this stuff is played better than just about anybody I hear.
    Well, I tell ya, that was a lot more true when we started the band, because those were the days where Hilary and I both dressed vintage most of the time. But, of course, the realities of modern life (and those insane dry cleaning bills) made it so we couldn't really do that as much any more. But, if you're going to try to be an expert in something, I think there is "something" to having a broader context. If you're going to try to be an expert at 1930's-1940's music, it helps to know the history, the style, the whole thing. But, that's just what I found helpful.

And joking aside, thanks man.

User Info Menu

Just got back from lunch break, spent the 1/2 hr on Youtube listening to Campus Five... AWESOME! I especially liked As Long As I Want To! Thanks for heads up!

User Info Menu

I didn't know Chloe had played with the Campus Five. Although better known as a clarinetist, she's no slouch on sax. There have been, and are, some fine musicians in the Jonathon Stout Orchestra.

User Info Menu

Exciting news! Our new album is available for pre-sale now.

PRE-SALE at Bandcamp Available NOW - Spreadin' Rhythm Around | Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five
    ALBUM RELEASE 6/20/17

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Hello all,

Jonathan Stout: Pre-Bebop Jazz Guitarist (and JGO member)-sloppy-square-jpg
    I'm excited to announce my solo CD is done and out for production!
    It'll be released next Tuesday, 12/18 on Bandcamp, but you can check it out now here: Pick It and Play It | Jonathan Stout
    The CDs won't arrive until 12/21, so I can't guarantee Christmas delivery, but with bandcamp you do get an immediate digital download with every CD purchase. And it'll be on all the other digital services within a month.

I managed to get 15 tunes recorded - 4 historic swing-era arrangements, 2 original tunes, and 9 of my own chord melody arrangements of classic tunes:
    1. Pickin' for Charlie - Jonathan Stout, 2018
    2. Stompin' at the Savoy - Goodman/Sampson/Webb, 1936
    3. Moonglow - Hudson/DeLange/Mills, 1934
    4. Cheek to Cheek - Irving Berlin, 1935
    5. Apartment G - Allan Reuss, 1938
    6. It's Only a Paper Moon - Harold Arlen, 1933
    7. Sunday - Miller/Styne/Cohn/Kreuger, 1926
    8. Charlie's Lullabye - Jonathan Stout, 2018
    9. Georgia on My Mind - Hoagy Carmichael, 1930
    10. Itching Fingers - Roy Smeck, 1928
    11. Ain't Misbehavin' - Waller/Brooks/Razaf, 1929
    12. Pet Shop - Allan Reuss, 1938
    13. Pick It and Play It - Frank Victor, 1936
    14. Somebody Loves Me - George Gershwin, 1934
    15. Over the Rainbow - Harold Arlen, 1938

I used a Waterloo WL-14L on "Itching Fingers", and the rest was about evenly split between my 1932 L-5 and 1939 L-5.
    We used 6 ribbon mics (though 90% of what you hear is just a stereo pair of Ribbons) for a nice fat sound.
    I'm very proud of it, and I hope you'll dig it.

Lastly, I'm planning to spend as much of January as it takes to finish writing a companion folio that will contain my original arrangements and tunes.
    Last edited by campusfive; 12-13-2018 at 11:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Brilliant!

User Info Menu

Alright the bandcamp store is OPEN:

Pick It and Play It | Jonathan Stout

And you can preview all the tracks!