The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

For those of us who love Latin and Brazilian style music, Laurindo Almeida is one of the finest guitarists in the genre. I've been listening lately to his arrangements and his actual recordings, and I'm becoming even more a fan. In particular I was listening lately to his album with Sammy Davis, Jr. - just voice and guitar. And it is making me reconsider my own recordings of certain standards in terms of simplification to just two tracks rather than additional "lead" guitar or string tracks (hard to resist). Laurindo's arrangement of Stardust is also quite nice in the key of C. I tend to vacillate between C, A, and G.

Anyone else enjoy Laurindo's playing? Well versed in classical guitar, is he a jazz guitarist or something else?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd, arguably deemed masters, in that Latin/classical-ish genre, were fortunate to be working at a specific point in time. Andres Segovia was bursting on the scene with the "Classical" guitar and his technical influence was being felt by guitarists in many styles of music, jazz, country, popular...Almeida and Byrd were at the forefront of this movement introducing Luiz Bonfa and Jobim (the Brazilian sound in general) to the North American (perhaps world) audience. I'm not sure this style would have been as popular today if not for these two pioneers.

I don't often listen to recordings (with one exception, noted below) of either of these guitarists. Being a long time "classical" player, I find their tone too strident and unrefined (Byrds more so than Almeidas) for my taste (I know, I know I'm shallow...I cannot stand Joe Pass's tone on the Virtuoso album either ) but I love their musicality and tasteful arrangements. I have all their publications and probably don't go a week without playing through at least one of their pieces.

Having said that...my personal favorite Almeida recording/time is the mid 1960s when he collaborated with the Modern Jazz Quartet. For me, he was at the top of his game during those years...

User Info Menu

I loved the Brazilliance albums that he did with bud Shank. The lines between Brazilian and west coast cool jazz are completely erased.

User Info Menu

My favorite Laurindo Almeida record is "The Best of Everything" (with arrangements by Oscar Castro-Neves). I'm surprised by the amount of music by LA that's still available, but sadly, The Best of Everything is almost impossible to find. (It was on Daybreak, a small label.)

I'm not that fond of Charlie Byrd, but one album I love is "Onda Nueva," which was his attempt to create a new musical craze with his collaboration with Venezuelan arranger Aldemaro Romero. (Ironically, "New Wave" did become a craze soon afterward, but it wasn't quite what he had in mind.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd, arguably deemed masters, in that Latin/classical-ish genre, were fortunate to be working at a specific point in time. Andres Segovia was bursting on the scene with the "Classical" guitar and his technical influence was being felt by guitarists in many styles of music, jazz, country, popular...Almeida and Byrd were at the forefront of this movement introducing Luiz Bonfa and Jobim (the Brazilian sound in general) to the North American (perhaps world) audience. I'm not sure this style would have been as popular today if not for these two pioneers.

I don't often listen to recordings (with one exception, noted below) of either of these guitarists. Being a long time "classical" player, I find their tone too strident and unrefined (Byrds more so than Almeidas) for my taste (I know, I know I'm shallow...I cannot stand Joe Pass's tone on the Virtuoso album either ) but I love their musicality and tasteful arrangements. I have all their publications and probably don't go a week without playing through at least one of their pieces.

Having said that...my personal favorite Almeida recording/time is the mid 1960s when he collaborated with the Modern Jazz Quartet. For me, he was at the top of his game during those years...

that MJQ lp was my introduction to him many yrs ago..
    once Youtube came on the scene I was thrilled to see this performance of One Note Samba on video.
    [note his hand hitting the mic after the tremelo @ 2:08---barely phased him]

User Info Menu

his arrangements of standards for classical guitar were my bread and butter for many years...his genius crossed many genres...

highest recommendation:

Amazon.com: Duets with Spanish Guitar: Music

Amazon.com: Stan Getz With Guest Artist Laurindo Almeida: Music

his own concerto, along with that of gnattali:

https://archive.org/details/LaurindoAlmeida_239

User Info Menu

The album with Sammy Davis Jr just kills. It has been a favorite of mine going all the way back to the 60s, when my parents had it around the house on vinyl. Almeida, like some of the other great guitarists--Tony Mottola, Eddie Liang, Joe Pass, Bucky Pizzarelli--really knew how to support a singer.

Almeida and Baden Powell were the guys who got me really interested in Brazilian guitar styles, listened to their albums over n over again. I'm also enjoying the new generation of exciting players such as Yamandu Costa!

User Info Menu

Yeah. Powell was also great. The nex-gen folks are keeping the spirit alive, for sure. Play on.

User Info Menu

Love Laurindo!

User Info Menu

He also wrote a book of film arrangements and a classical method book which I use regularly with students because unlike many other classical methods, he goes right up the neck right from the beginning. Beautiful player. Very insightful teacher.

David

User Info Menu

If you remember hearing a guitar in an old Western-themed TV show, it was probably Laurindo Almeida. He did the themes and incidental music for Rawhide, Gunsmoke, and my favorite—Bonanza.

This video is a little Homage to guitarists such as Laurindo Almeida n Baden Powell. They inspired me so much

User Info Menu

'Adore Laurindo's playing - especially his solo arrangements.

User Info Menu

Couldn't find sheet music for Almeida's Stardust arrangement but I found these ......

45748743-1-Laurindo-Almeida-Broadway-Solo-Guitar.pdf

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Tremblay
    Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd, arguably deemed masters, in that Latin/classical-ish genre, were fortunate to be working at a specific point in time. Andres Segovia was bursting on the scene with the "Classical" guitar an
    Thanks for sharing this. Brilliant!