The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Rotem Sivan is my favourite guitarist, past and present. Sounds to me like Bill Evans on guitar, a stunning blend of jazz, and classical influences with a beautiful bell like guitar tone plus some middle eastern spice.

Rotem is a super nice guy and has a new CD coming out I think on September 1.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rodney Jones....cool:

User Info Menu

Fresh video of Jesse, filmed earlier this week in Japan:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Fresh video of Jesse, filmed earlier this week in Japan:

There is something very Barney Kessel like in his approach here: the way that he seamlessly and beautifully integrates single lines with chords into one unified thing. Barney was the master of that, particularly in a bass drums guitar Trio format.

Jesse v. Ruller seems to take it to another level as compared to most guitarists, especially in a trio format. I think it is the way he, as mentioned in the prior paragraph, integrates chords with single note lines that helps to profoundly distinguish him from the crowd.

And, incidentally, I love how Dutch people have more English sounding first names than Englanders. My favorite footballer? Dennis of course. .

User Info Menu

Van Ruller et MVI fan here. Their duo album has some incredible playing, I'm actually transcribing some lines, wow ! I'll share them in the future if anyone's interested.

User Info Menu

Damn.
    His solo on Love For Sale is awesome...
    Lots of Blues Feel and killer lines ,tone , touch and time....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 10-24-2015 at 08:49 PM.

User Info Menu

I think that CD of Daans is recorded with a Campellone, correct me if I'm wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I'd forgot to mention Daan Kleijn. I picked up his 2013 Trio CD as a present for a friend and the playing/sound is scarily close to van Ruller (even down to the Levin guitar). He's only young and on the evidence of recent clips, he seems to have changed his style somewhat since moving to the States to study with Peter Bernstein.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamie1805
    I think that CD of Daans is recorded with a Campellone, correct me if I'm wrong ?
    You may be right. All I know is that Daan Kleijn owns/owned a Levin and the tone on that CD is almost identical to JVR's on Live at Murphy's Law:

User Info Menu

It does sound very similar, you are right
    Mmm might still be his levin.

User Info Menu

I think it is really cool that Reiner Bass is considered to be Jazz- there is hope for you guys yet...lol.

That piece with the crazy rhythm is cool when the Horns come in- outside a bit- then they bring it in.

He has a unique style(s) lots of open string drones ringing...but I like how he plays the whole Guitar.

It's sometimes difficult to work Solo Guitar stuff into a Rhythm Section...you kind of have to decide which way you are going at the outset IMO.

Sooner or later there will be a Michael Hedges type on 7 String who plays some Jazz.....

I like his creativity a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybobcat
    Does anyone have some suggestions of players to listen to that are similar to Jesse Van Ruller? I've bought his entire discography, and I can't get enough of his sound.
    I know that in general Johanthan Kreisberg is not exactly similar to Jesse van Ruller, but if you like Ruller I bet you will like this too :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybobcat
    Does anyone have some suggestions of players to listen to that are similar to Jesse Van Ruller? I've bought his entire discography, and I can't get enough of his sound.
    (as my previous post of recommending that specific Kreisberg video, of course Joe Pass is not closely similar to Jesse van Ruller) ...but this one worth to listen if Jesse van Ruller is anyone's ear. This recording has many 'Joe Pass'-ism, but besides of some typical motifs, some very melodic lines, well it "reminds" me to Jesse van Ruller. Also, notice the tone...

User Info Menu

Wow! This guy leaves me speechless. And were it not for this forum I never would have heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Some more incredible clips:

A great HD (1440p) version of Circles with the Chambertones trio:

JVR at his burning best with Jussi Lehtonen:

BTW, I posted the version of Jesse playing his own composition 'Have a Heart' on Youtube about 6 years ago so I'm a long time fan.

As David B mentioned, some of JVR's releases can be hard to find. It's worth checking out CDJapan for the non-Criss Cross releases. Live at Murphy's Law is a must!:
    CDJapan : Complete Listings | Keywords: jesse van ruller

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by earsoup
    Van Ruller et MVI fan here. Their duo album has some incredible playing, I'm actually transcribing some lines, wow ! I'll share them in the future if anyone's interested.
    What is this duo album!?!!?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrs
    What is this duo album!?!!?
    I'm not aware of any album that Jesse van Ruller and Martijn van Iterson have made together, and Discogs does not list one.

The poster might have meant Maarten Van Der Grinten (the other of the 'big 3' of Dutch jazz guitar), who has an album with Jesse Van Ruller, 'Nine Stories From' (A-Records, 1999, reissued on Challenge Records, 2009).

User Info Menu

Yes... Jessie's still one of my favorite players, I remember when phillco started this thread... I dig his work with David Hazeltine... it's all great

User Info Menu

For anyone else in Europe, a heads-up that Jesse van Ruller and Peter Bernstein are performing some duo shows in late January and early February. Here the dates I've found so far.

24 January: Sunset, Paris. Details: Concerts janvier 2024 - Sunset Sunside Jazz Club

28 January: HerrNilson, Oslo. Details: Herr Nilsen | Forside, Program

29 January: Soundcellar, Poole, UK. A ticketed live-stream option also available. Details: Events from 22 February 2024 – 30 May 2024 – SoundCellar

30 and 31 January: Pizza Express Jazz Club, London. Details: Peter Bernstein & Jesse van Ruller | Live Jazz Music & Great Food | PizzaExpress Live

3 February: Jazz Station, Brussels. Details: Jazz Station

4 February: Bimhuis, Amsterdam. Details: https://www.bimhuis.nl/agenda/peter-...-van-ruller-2/

7 February: Jazzhus Montmartre, Copenhagen. Details: https://jazz.dk/vinterjazz-2024/koncerter/195/
    Last edited by David B; 12-08-2023 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu