Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor and Tommy Emanuel with two Parker archtops:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great playing especially from halfway on they start playing together

Like Tommy sais these Parkers sound more like a gypsy guitar than a traditional f hole archtop (?)

User Info Menu

I've heard both of these great players many times . . (through videos and recordings, not live) . . and it's very obvious that they both let the personalities of the guitars influence their playing. Very Django-esque. Both are masters. Thanks for posting it . . . it was very enjoyable.

Nice post, I didn't know Tommy was a Gypsy Jazz fan. I thought more folk/jazz.

It sounds very rattly though, why is that? The action too low, strings too new (if that even makes a difference)? seems like a lot of buzz coming from both.

User Info Menu

Just saw these two recently in Orlando, probably the show before or after this one in Miami. They were amazing solo and together. Tommy is probably more the entertainer of the two which is nothing to take away from his musicianship.I lost count of how many times Tommy said "wow" in this video. They both seemed to sincerely like these instruments. Great post.

User Info Menu

Arrgh! That low E!

User Info Menu

They make a 30000$ guitar sound like 70000$.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by disco~juice
    They make a 30000$ guitar sound like 70000$.
    What is the sound of $70 000?

User Info Menu

This sounds like $30 000 to me:
    Martin Taylor-4971-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Arrgh! That low E!
    I think that was more a result of Tommy's style than the guitar itself. He really does attack the bass strings. Martin didin't seem to generate the same buzz - but also he was playing the older guitar, which may have been set up differently.

User Info Menu

That sounds great! What swing! I especially dug "Bernie's Tune," a cool jazz Gerry Mulligan number I believe, as a gypsy-style thing.

I doubt I could tell the difference between this instrument and a much cheaper, but still excellent guitar, either by listening or playing myself. Still, they're clearly having a great time.

BTW, Richb, if you play half as well as you push people's buttons, you must be a monster player.

Anyway, thanks for posting this, Jim!

User Info Menu

I love the Triple Libra album.

This is a 1979 recording I believe. Featuring just Martin and the double bass of Peter Ind. The album has a mixture of originals and Chick Corea/Pat Metheny compositions. It's a pretty rare recording made before Martin became an international name. On the Wave label. It has mostly pick playing with one finger style track I think.

Basically I think this is a master piece! As usual Martins beautiful tone and lyrical playing delude the listener into thinking this is easy listening, easy to play music. WRONG. It's the antidote to the John McLaughlin, John Scofield brigade. Some guys think that if the music isn't angular and ugly it's not good jazz. Big mistake in my opinion. The album is mostly diationic and inside but the compositions are complex and modern sounding. 'Windows' 'Bright Size Life' etc. I can't think of another player who can make a tone like this or who can pull off a very exposed duet album like this.(Perhaps Julian Lage, + a few others). Incidentally! The bass playing is also sublime. Peter Ind is one of the UKs finest players with also a beautiful tone with confident virtuoso lines. Think Jaco meets Eberhard Weber.

Why Martin isn't in the current (silly) 'Favourite Player' poll on this forum defeats me because I believe he is absolutely up there with the best of the best.

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor is certainly my favorite finger-style jazz guitar player - and my arrangements have been greatly influenced by his style. The only other player I know that can handle that level of contrapuntal playing is probably Tuck Andress.

I spent some time with Martin years ago at a NAMM show - and got a close up lesson on “ I got Rhythm” - just mesmerizing.

His instructional material is worth the effort.

User Info Menu

I took some online lessons with Martin. He is an excellent, insightful and open-minded teacher.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.
    I notice (first video) that Frank pats his foot while Martin pats his heel.
    Not a big deal either way---personal preference, habit---but I find that patting my foot gets tiresome pretty quick.

Their interplay is incredible.

Frank really does pick "mostly down", as he puts it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting.
    I notice (first video) that Frank pats his foot while Martin pats his heel.
    Not a big deal either way---personal preference, habit---but I find that patting my foot gets tiresome pretty quick.

Their interplay is incredible.

Frank really does pick "mostly down", as he puts it.
    Yep, as a contrast Ulf seems to up pick a lot of the time - I saw him with Martin Taylor a couple of years ago & was struck by it then...never seen anyone else do that

User Info Menu

Their Seattle concert was great. It was their first performance as a duo. They complement each other well. David Grisman was in the audience and joined them on mandolin for three tunes, adding a bit of bluegrass flavor to the end of the show.

I was surprised to see Frank still using a Jazzkat—the original model with the whizzer cone. It was black, so apparently not his signature GypsyKat model. I think Martin was going direct to the house. Both sounded great.
    Last edited by KirkP; 02-10-2020 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

It was around 1990 when I was transitioning from Southern rock into jazz - when I came across a review in the Long Island Newsday about this new guitarist named Martin Taylor. He had recently played in NYC, and the accolades where off the charts. Martin had just relased the Serabana album and I decided to buy it to see what all the fuss was about....... I was hooked ever since. I remember inserting the CD into my 1990 Acura Legend and being blown away.

To me - Martin has been one of the best fingerstyle guitarist on the scene for several decades - and my greatest influence. The late Chet Atkins called him one of the greatest guitar players in the world. He's set a standard of excellence for all guitarist to follow, and has shared his knowledge for many years at annual retreats.

A few years later - I was sitting in a Nashville club with Martin Taylor , Ted Krause and Jim D'Aquisto engaged in a discussion about a string endorsement. Martin was playing that evening ........ A very special moment for sure.

Of course, we are all older now, but my love and admiration for his playing has never changed. His melodic lines and ability to bring the piano onto a 6 string guitar is just remarkable.

Here is a You-Tube video I came across tonight which reminded me why Martin Taylor ......is one of the greatest guitarist of our time.......Im still hooked.

Close your eyes and listen......how can one person pull off playing three parts........enjoy.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I had tickets to see Martin once. Unfortunately, instead of coming from the airport to the concert hall he went from the airport to the hospital as he had gotten ill on the flight, possibly from food poisoning. So I got a refund but he never rescheduled and thus I have not yet been able to see him. Martin is a remarkable talent on the guitar and has been for decades.

Nearly 40 years ago, when I was a beginning jazz student, he was on the Tonight Show with Stephane Grapelli and it was an awesome thing to watch him comping. I believe in those days he was playing his Barker guitar.

His autobiography was also quite readable.

User Info Menu

I saw him in a bookshop about 15 years ago. He was launching his autobiography. He plugged his guitar into the house PA. It didn’t matter.

User Info Menu

Great player, seen him play solo several times & with singers & other guitarists too.

The first time was a Joe Pass gig which messed with my head for a while...He's great at RC at metronome stupid but plays a mean ballad too, one of my fave tunes..

User Info Menu

I've been lucky enough to see Martin 3 or 4 times. Possibly the most memorable being a gig with Tommy Emmanuel around the time of the release of their album of duets. Absolutwljaw dropping playing from both of them

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yes, jazz great. Perhaps not discussed enough on this forum.

User Info Menu

With Joe Pass from the gig mentioned above: