The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

My name is Jim McGiffin and I just registered today. I was searching the web looking for stuff about my old friend and teacher the late Harry Leahey of (mostly) Plainfield, NJ, which search led me happily to this site. Harry was one of the best friends I have ever had. He not only introduced me to what jazz guitar is really about, but he taught me other, more valuable things like what real humility is, what real fun with friends is, and etc. I'd like to share memories of Harry, but I don't know if this site is the place to do it for it seems to be mostly "technical". Let me know.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Jim. There is another NJ'er here who I believe was also a Harry Leahy student - JohnW400. I'm sure he mentioned Harry in a post once.

User Info Menu

Sorry Jim I forgot to mention that we often have threads regarding the less famous players, and this is the correct place to do this. As for giving credit to players and teachers who have inspired anyone to learn, that is always appropriate.

Here's a Harry anecdote: I was over at Harry's place for either a visit or a lesson. I had just purchased a paperback version of Bach's four part chorales. There were several hundred pages with a choral on each written out on the grand staff (bass and treble clefs). I had tried to play some of them and it would take me a hour or so to get through a few measures. I showed the book to Harry (he had never heard of these chorales before) and he began to browse through them sight reading them on his guitar as he went. He never stumbled, played several beautifully right through, and then sighed and said: "Wow! One could really learn something about harmony from these!"

User Info Menu

I was in a Jazz Quartet some years ago and the piano player was his daughter...Debra...she could play...

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Yo Jim, Welcome to the site.

My favorite Harry story is where I'm working on Spain and Harry just smiles his little smile and starts to play the break using octaves and double octaves without missing a beat.

He told me a story once about getting a call to come down to a jam session on a Sunday afternoon, but having taught and played out on Saturday night, he was tired. He later found out that John McLaughlin and Chick Correa were there jammin as well. I can only wonder about what would have happened.

In case your interested, I did a version od Nuages in the CM section that borrows heavily form Harry's version. I never got around to figuring out the whole thing. If you did, maybe you could pass it on.

Also do you have a copy of his solo CD? I only have it on cassette and boy is that old. I have a copy of half of the showboat LP on CD. It was re-issued on Novus. I also have him on a James L Dean CD and Live with Al Cohn.

BTW, What part of NJ are you from?

I lived in Westfield when I met Harry in 1958. I love trading Harry stories. He told me once that he had worked his butt of learning to play Les Paul tunes from the recordings. Then he found out later that Paul double recorded. He was kind of pissed off about that.
    I studied with Harry for about six months when he had to go down the NJ shore to play a 2 month gig. He asked me if I would take over his students. I was doubtful but he assured me I could do it. He didn't know that I could barely read music. So when I taught the first time I was shocked. I had this kid who was on a high numbered Mel Bay book. I called in sick for a week or two and when I came back I had gone through the whole Mel Bay series and other stuff. So when I told Harry about it he shrugged it off and said "see, I told you you could do it". I made enough money teaching for him that I was able to buy a new L5 that ended up in Harry's hands a year or so later and it was his main axe for years.

Harry was a monster on guitar, people in NJ who to say he was one ofmost knowledgaable musicians in NJ. I have a copy of CD thats just Harry playing chord melody, its very awesome. I took lessons from him for about 6 months in the early 80's. I lost interests cuz we never applied anything to tunes. Of course i wish i stuck with him now, then i would have been a monster to. Iwent back to playing rock and blues until a year ago.
    Ken

User Info Menu

Ken,

Would you be kind enough to make me a copy of that CD? I woul dreally appreaciate it.

I only have it on cassette and it's fading out. I've looked high and low but can't find it anywhere. I can give you my UPS number to ship it to me in Fair Lawn, NJ.

Thanks
    JW

Hi JW,

I have to make a copy and my computer cant burn. I will take it some where or to friends to make copy.
    Email me at home ok
    guitarplayer33_1999@yahoo.com
    Ken

User Info Menu

I am also trying to get a hold of the solo guitar CD that Harry Leahey made in 1990 (?). If I can get a copy from anyone, my address is numdud1@verizon.net

I have Harry's two other LPs (trio and duo) burned onto CD if anyone wants a copy just email me your address.
    Last edited by numdud1; 02-26-2009 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board, but being a Jersey boy, I had to look up the legendary Harry Leahy.

I studied with a student of Harry's named John Harrity in Somerville, NJ. I got to be good friends with Harry's kids, Dennis (who is my age), Jim (who tours with John Waite), & his daughter Gillian (who dated a good friend of mine years).

I hung out with Dennis from 13 - 16, & saw Harry quite a bit. Although he was very kind, I was always intimidated by this musical giant of a man. Jim was a monster player in his own right, & the fact that he liked Dennis & I enough to hang out & occasionally jam with was more than enough for me.

Dennis, sent me this Facebook group dedicated to Harry, if anyone's interested:

HARRY LEAHEY Jazz Guitarist Appreciation Society | Facebook

Hi all,

My name is Kris Antonelli and I joined today after seeing the Harry Leahey forum. I got a recording of Harry at the Golden Putter in 1980 from a former teacher and, aside from hearing him with the Phil Woods Six, this is all I really know of his playing. Nevertheless, that was like 10 years ago and it's still one of my top go-to jazz recordings. Was wondering if anyone knows where I might find some more of his work? I've been looking for a long time to no avail...

User Info Menu

Hello Kris,

Heres a short list of stuff

Phil Woods Song For Sysiphus
    Mark Murphy Living Room

Al Cohn Live at Stroudsburg Pa
    James Dean Ceora
    Harry Leahey solo CD

Theres also

Black Stick by Ron Odrich that has Harry on side A and Gene Betroncini on side 2.

Some other stuff out there as well.

His daughter is looking to do a memorial concert. So far Bob Devos and a LOT of other people are intersted in doing something for it.

Thanks John for the info. I'll have to check those out; particularly interested in that solo CD you mentioned.

Would love to check out the memorial concert - any word on where/when that would be?

User Info Menu

Check out that facebook link in post #12

User Info Menu

For anyone who is interested there is a Harry Leahey Appreciation Page on Facebook. His family is putting together a tribute concert in November

Someone also posted a recording from his last CD. He recorded this in his final year. He had already been diagnosed with cancer when he recorded this on his custom Koontz archtop.

Welkom bij Facebook - Meld je aan, registreer je of ontdek meer

User Info Menu

Harry's a link in the Johnny Smith lineage wasn't he? What a rich tradition.
    David

User Info Menu

I have not been exposed to much of Harrys' recordings but I have met and played with a couple of his students. They seem to be very good players and fun to play with.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Harry's a link in the Johnny Smith lineage wasn't he? What a rich tradition.
    David

Yes he was. He studied with Johnny Smith for a while.

The list of people that studied with Harry is quite impressive as well.
    There isn't much out there but I managed to track down most of it (Thanks to another of Harrys former students Bruce A.)

When you listen to thet clip bear in mind that they did it in one take, no over dubs, no Pro Tools, no nothing. It was recorded at VanGelders if I recall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Hello Kris,

Heres a short list of stuff

Phil Woods Song For Sysiphus
    Mark Murphy Living Room

Al Cohn Live at Stroudsburg Pa
    James Dean Ceora
    Harry Leahey solo CD

Theres also

Black Stick by Ron Odrich that has Harry on side A and Gene Betroncini on side 2.

Some other stuff out there as well.

His daughter is looking to do a memorial concert. So far Bob Devos and a LOT of other people are intersted in doing something for it.
    I have only one album, Silver Thread (1981 guitar/bass duet with Steve Gilmore), and it is the only thing I have heard with Harry Leahey. It is an excellent set and I would love finding more of his albums.

User Info Menu

His first album as a leader was Still Waters. It has Glen Davis on Drums and Roy Cummings on bass. It is some serious playing.

You can still find some of his stuff out there

Amazon.com: Ceora: James L Dean: Music

Amazon.com: Live: Phil Woods: Music

Amazon.com: Song for Sisyphus: Phil Woods: Music

In Concert April 17, 1986, Al Cohn, Music CD - Barnes & Noble

Both Phil Woods CD's are great but if all you want is Harry playing then buy MP3's of Django's Castle and Rain Danse from the first one and Nuages from the second.

Nuages is a solo piece. The Al Cohn CD feature Harry on every tune.

The Ceora CD is ok but I would get the others first before that I got that one.

I haven't been able to find his solo CD for sale. I'll be checking into that when they have the tribute show.

User Info Menu

I just joined this board today and noticed the thread on Harry Leahy. I also was a student of his in the late 1970's.

And I have to agree with everyone here, he was an amazing player and a real nice guy. It is so unusual to be so appreciated as both a musician and a person.

I remember bringing in a tune that I co-wrote with a friend to show Harry. He sight read it and soloed on it so much better than I did and it was my tune. Sigh...

--Charley
    --------------
    charleyrich.com

User Info Menu

the page is now located at this URL: HARRY LEAHEY Jazz Guitarist Appreciation Society Public Group | Facebook

I was lucky enough to grow up down the street from the Leahey's, had Jimmy as my first guitar teacher, bussed tables with Dennis at O'Connor's, and was in the same grade as Gillian. Harry truly has a remarkably gifted family. I got to see Harry play only once at his wedding anniversary party at O'Connor's when I worked there. I did not understand what a legend Harry was back then. Thank you, Harry. We'll all see you playing again someday on the other side.

User Info Menu

Hey gang, just found a great vid of the Harry Leahey Trio playing live circa 1989. Great stuff!