The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    I love Steve Jordan! I believe he played with BG on and off through most of the 50s. I was certain that I already had him on the list. Thanks for reminding me.

Have you heard his album Here Comes Mr. Jordan? Great record, and we really get to hear him play (and sing).

One of my favorite CD's. I'm still trying to figgure out his changes to It Happened In Monterey. Any help would be great.

His book Here Comes Mr. Jordan is a must read. If I got the title right.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ogtcheddyg
    You should add Chris Flory to this list. He was close with Benny and was his practice partner in addition to being a part of his 70's-'80's sextet and big band.
    Post #9

User Info Menu

also, Benny Garcia, Western Swing and jazz guitarist, from OKC 1950's and/or 1960s.

User Info Menu

What about James Chirillo:

I remember the first time I saw him in a video with Benny Goodman. I was like, "I studied with that guy!"

User Info Menu

More Billy Bauer in 1958, with Ethel Ennis (who died on 17th February, sadly)

User Info Menu

Turk van Lake in '62; and looking very relaxed, Victor Feldman on vibes.

Last edited by Litterick; 03-10-2019 at 07:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

have often thought about how good a judge of guitar players Benny Goodman was, right through his career.

Few names off the top of my head to be included would be Al Hendrickson, Wayne Wright, Louis Stewart, Eddie Duran, - I'm sure more will pop into my head Great question! Thanks, cheers Gus.

User Info Menu

Anyone know a tune where Arnold Covey's playing is heard?

User Info Menu

One has to be impressed at his assessment of talent and how highly Goodman regarded the guitar.

With the exception of Count Basie, not too many big band leaders considered the guitar so integral to their sound.

User Info Menu

Another guy was Ray Gogarty, who was a legend on Lawnguyland, where I grew up. He was also known for being the guitar teacher for the guy in The Stray Cats.

I heard a recording of Les Spann playing live with BG which was pretty funny, because he was having trouble with feedback when he turned up to take a solo. It sounded like Sonny Sharrock just came in to play a solo!

User Info Menu

Ray is listed in D'Angelico's ledger at least once.

User Info Menu

gogarty at monteleones

cheers

User Info Menu

gogarty-back row..3rd from view left...between john pizzarelli and frank vignola

@ benedetto tribute to barney k

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    One of my favorite CD's. I'm still trying to figgure out his changes to It Happened In Monterey. Any help would be great.

His book Here Comes Mr. Jordan is a must read. If I got the title right.
    "Rhythm Man: Fifty Years In Jazz."

Great book!

Danny W.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Attila Zoller played with Benny Goodman in 1966 and 1967.
    I was looking to see if anyone mentioned this. Attila told me about it, or I'd never have known. I doubt there's any recorded evidence, though I've been wrong before...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    gogarty-back row..3rd from view left...between john pizzarelli and frank vignola

cheers
    Priceless picture. What a great bunch of guitarists showing up in tribute to Barney after he had his stroke. [After, right?]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Priceless picture. What a great bunch of guitarists showing up in tribute to Barney after he had his stroke. [After, right?]
    im afraid it looks it!!

lots of guitar power in that shot!!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    Here's everyone in the photo, in case you didn't know.
    back row: Peter Leitch, John Pizzarelli, Ray Gogarty, Frank Vignola, Vic Juris, Ron Affif, Howard Alden, John Abercrombie, and Jimmy Bruno
    2nd row: Gene Bertoncini, Billy Bauer, Don Arnone, Bucky Pizzarelli, Jack Wilkins, Wayne Wright, Tony Mottola, Sal Salvador and Randall Kremer (Smithsonian Institution).
    front row: Charles Carlini (Producer of the Tribute), Mundell Lowe, Charlie Byrd, Barney Kessel, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow and Bob Benedetto
    (not shown: Kenny Burrell) Photo by: Rich Raezer