The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Im really trying to get into this guy. I mean, I know he's one of the original greats but I can do without the singing (though he has a great voice) and am more interested in his playing. Today I have:Bad Benson, George Benson with Jack McDuff,The George Benson Cookbook

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Backtracks
    GB Silver Collection

I don't like to listen to his singing as much as his playing and his Wes Montgomery thumb technique, but
    George is a very good singer too. One of his early songs where I like the combination of his voice and playing
    is "On Broadway"...man that unique rthymn beat fits so well, and he really cooks at the end of the song as well
    as doing jazz voicings..
    'and one thin dime won't even shine your shoes ...jazz voice styling...cuz i can play this here guitar and I won't
    quit until I'm star on Broadway..unison jazz voice/guitar .....

He really cooks on this one..."On Broadway"

User Info Menu

Bad Benson - "Serbia Blue" is just an awesome song.

User Info Menu

Just today I happened to have listened to 'Giblet Gravy' and GB playing on Lou Donaldson's album 'Alligator Boogalloo'. Both are must-have if you're a Benson fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Bad Benson - "Serbia Blue" is just an awesome song.
    Does it demonstrate his unique style of guitar playing? if so...Can you provide us with a clip?

User Info Menu

Hey I just looked in the search function and there's a whole lot to read including some similar threads that other people have begun in the past.
    Here's one:
    Best straight-ahead George Benson?

It's full of great recommendations!
    David

User Info Menu

Can't remember the album name but its a 2 record live set with a quartet, I think George duvivier is on bass. I was checking this out when I was shedding in school. I couldn't believe some of the insane tempos benson was taking the tunes. He sounded superhuman on Oleo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Can't remember the album name but its a 2 record live set with a quartet, I think George duvivier is on bass. I was checking this out when I was shedding in school. I couldn't believe some of the insane tempos benson was taking the tunes. He sounded superhuman on Oleo
    Live at Casa Caribe. That's a great live recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    ^
    Typo, I'm sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kuryliak
    Does it demonstrate his unique style of guitar playing? if so...Can you provide us with a clip?
    Does it demonstrate his unique style? You bet it does. I can't find any good Youtubes of this song but buy the CD as all the songs are great.

User Info Menu

First Benson album I got into and think still one of his best was White Rabbit had a great band too. Those early CTI albums were great.

User Info Menu

There's no shortage of albums if you're looking for george benson's playing. Early albums worth checking out are

The New Boss Guitar of George Benson
    Giblet Gravy
    It's Uptown
    The George Benson Cookbook
    Bad Benson
    Body Talk

I'd recommend any of these to begin with.

"As a child prodigy raised in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, he first began performing at the age of seven and was known as “little Georgie Benson,” playing the ukulele and singing. He switched to the guitar when he was nine because, he says, he needed the guitar to back up his singing."

That would be "little Georgie Benson" at age 7. Wow!..just goes to show that talent can be made and born
    at the same time. I believe that Ibanez guitars have a "Little George Benson" model as well now.

"They say that I won't last too long on Broadway
    I'll catch a Greyhound bus for home, they all say
    But they're dead wrong, I know they are
    'Cause I can play this here guitar
    And I won't quit till I'm a star on Broadway

BTW..Jazz Forum..we need a Benson icon for my reply..can someone come up with one.
    we gots Metheny, Scofield, Wes, Jim Hall, Joe Pass...but no George Benson...

User Info Menu

If we're talking about early let's go back to 1963 (which, to be honest, predates my introduction to jazz . . . and long pants).

Take a listen to Brother Jack McDuff's Live! record. This is the Chitlin Circuit at its finest, as presented by McD, Benson, Harold Vick and more. It's a glimpse into a bygone world. 'Make mine a double, man!'

User Info Menu

'Beyond The Blue Horizon'
    Creed Taylor had just started his label, there wasn't enough money to make a big production album, so they just went into the studio and recorded the album without any bells and whistles.
    So What is the tune most guitarists study off that lp.

For a 'chitlin circuit' lp, the one under drummer Joe Dukes name,
    The Soulful Drums?

User Info Menu

Check out The California Concert live album with Freddie Hubbard. George had some smokin' solos on that album. Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life has some great Benson on there. Dr. Lonnie Smith's Live at Club Mozambique also features some awesome Benson.

User Info Menu

-It's Uptown
    -The George Benson Cookbook

are definitely my two favorites! Specifically the songs "Clockwork" and "The Cooker". Never really dug his later stuff - too commercial for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMaster14
    -It's Uptown

are definitely my two favorites! Specifically the songs "Clockwork" and "The Cooker". Never really dug his later stuff - too commercial for me.
    Those two albums (on vinyl) - his first two as a leader possibly - were my introduction to GB as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzMaster14
    -It's Uptown

What?

Check this out then!
    Last edited by Daniel Kuryliak; 11-06-2013 at 03:27 AM.

User Info Menu

GB and BG (Major)

User Info Menu

If it’s early Benson you want: