The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kendrick Scott solo on this is no joke.

User Info Menu

Maybe to guitar geeks, but if I mention KURT to other jazz musicians, they're thinking Kurt Elling...

User Info Menu

To be honest, good as he undoubtedly is, I find his playing boring.

User Info Menu

Also, the 1970/80's Yamaha SG2000 thru neck guitars are superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    What do you think of his solo playing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    Normally, me too, this one I like better though, except it's just too long! To me, he clearly runs out of ideas by the middle of it, but keeps going, because why? The rules of the genre, you must play 20 choruses or you are not good? That turns me off a little bit, otherwise I would say it was a great solo! Technically, he is one of the top jazz guitarists, no doubt!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, most people are going to say, ". . . Cobain."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fusionshred
    Unfortunately, most people are going to say, ". . . Cobain."
    Most people don't know the names of *any* contemporary jazz musicians, much less Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Nevertheless, I think the trick to getting by with one name is to use a unique nickname. Cher is short for Cherilyn. And Charo's real name is (deep breath) María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza.

User Info Menu

"Charo's real name is (deep breath) María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza. "

funny, I thought it was Mrs. Cugat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Most people don't know the names of *any* contemporary jazz musicians, much less Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Nevertheless, I think the trick to getting by with one name is to use a unique nickname. Cher is short for Cherilyn. And Charo's real name is (deep breath) María del Rosario Mercedes Pilar Martínez Molina Baeza.
    True...the obvious for this Guy would be "Rosenwinkle".

*Miles...Dizzy..Trane..Bird..Jimi..BB
    Miles had a super cool name already ..not as cool as Lebron James.

...But those people I listed all created new Genres or Sub Genres/ Styles or played above everyone else of their Time or very close to it...or both with Bird- right ?

And it helps to be unique to become a household name.

Now is anyone in Jazz unique enough or inventing a whole new Genre or Style -
    or playing head and shoulders above the other top Guys ?

User Info Menu

I always think it's a bit annoying when people say 'Kurt.'

Sometimes I like to say 'yeah I loved Nirvana when I was 15' just to annoy them.

I don't know why. I think it's like the whole vibe of copying Kurt got crazy with hats (why? you're not balding?), 335s, endless intervallic licks and lots ambience on the amps.

It's calmed down a bit now that the Kurt's no longer flavour of the month and everyone wants to be either Peter Bernstein or Gilad Heckseldude.

EDIT: I feel I should add that he's been a massive influence on my playing, but I was into him in 2005 before it was cool ;-) Therefore I am a jazz guitar hipster...

I also always love to hear Kurt play the guitaratron.
    Last edited by christianm77; 06-28-2016 at 07:02 AM.

User Info Menu

It's also nice to hear Kurt play with really swinging drummers like Kendrick or Ali Jackson.

User Info Menu

There's a guy who uses just ' Gilad' who does exercise videos so that one is taken also.

And KURT is obviously a very deep Player ( his chord voicings and how he sneaks into them etc. and his chord melody stuff ) with a laid back, smoky feel.

He has come a long way since he was in Simon and Rosenwinkel singing 'Bridge over Troubled Water '.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-28-2016 at 04:12 PM.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    i like kurt a lot. escape from new york was excellent.

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty damn smokin' to me. I don't listen to Kurt as much as I should, but am always blown away. Kreisberg does this thing in a way that is just a tad more appealing to my ears, but Kurt is still a giant. I don't he's trying to win any popularity contests, for those of you who would like to see him in People magazine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Sounds pretty damn smokin' to me. I don't listen to Kurt as much as I should, but am always blown away. Kreisberg does this thing in a way that is just a tad more appealing to my ears, but Kurt is still a giant. I don't he's trying to win any popularity contests, for those of you who would like to see him in People magazine.
    Well to me he is 'smoky' that laid back thing as opposed to smoking , hard swinging Guys like Benson or Kriesburg who does a lot more Rhythmic stuff.