The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

I don't know who did the editing in the middle, but their mother raised an Overeditor.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Two of the best at work. Brian is such a great drummer got to see him years ago with Patitucci great show.
    Last edited by docbop; 06-09-2013 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

great staff!

User Info Menu

That groove the drummer plays over the hammered opening riff just freaks me out.

User Info Menu

Lots of gems in Wolfgang Muthspiel's discography. Real Book Stories and the live duo recording with Mick Goodrick are evergreen favourites with me.

He has recently done a small number of European dates with Larry Grenadier and Brian Blade. Fingers crossed that trio gets into the studio.

User Info Menu

I saw Muthspiel in Dublin years ago touring the Real Book Stories album (with Brian Blades & Marc Johnson) - one of the best gigs I've been to!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Lots of gems in Wolfgang Muthspiel's discography. Real Book Stories and the live duo recording with Mick Goodrick are evergreen favourites with me.

He has recently done a small number of European dates with Larry Grenadier and Brian Blade. Fingers crossed that trio gets into the studio.
    Hello all - a google alert showed up in my inbox for your posts about Herr Muthspiel; would like to let you all know that the trio of WM, Larry Grenadier and Brian Blade just spent 3 days recording in Oslo with a fantastic German producer whose name I'm not presently at liberty to divulge...
    Last edited by material; 06-10-2013 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow, can't wait for that one!

[Hmm, "material" with insider info? Any relation to "Material Records" or Herr Wolfie?!?!? The plot thickens ...]

User Info Menu

Sounds like it could be an ECM record.

User Info Menu

OK, I have this dissertation on Wolfgang Muthspiel that I had saved onto a CD, but I don't remember where I got it from. I'm gonna put it up here for your educational enlightenment, but if anyone knows of reasons it should not be here, just whack me on the side of the head with a taxidermied wolverine. (I do respond to that).
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I love this duo!!!

Do you know this video?

This is a project with a Brazilian guitarist/percussionist called Alegre Correa!

User Info Menu

Another video!

User Info Menu

I work for Material Records, I'm allowed to say that much!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by material
    Welcome! Plenty of Wolfie fans here who are always excited for his next thing!

A few years ago he told me he was working on putting together a book of his compositions, but then recently he said the project was on hold (huge time commitment, etc.). Please encourage him to make that happen!

Peace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by material
    Would you kindly ask Wolfgang or someone close to him, if you have such an avenue, to come tour the US west coast one of these days! I would so love to hear him play, especially with Brian Blade!

User Info Menu

I love the way he sounds on his solo from 3:00 - super suble overdrive, getting more intense when he's digging in. Any idea what he might be using? According to jazzapparatus probably a Moffa Archtop through a Hot Rod Deluxe. But he doesn't have any drive pedal in his board :-D This might have changed though and probably did?

I'm guessing an overdrive with low gain/drive setting, but can't get close with the Strymon Sunset I'm testing right now

User Info Menu

Nice vid! I love Wolfie's sound!

The Sarno "Earth Drive" is a great, low-gain overdrive pedal; to sound like him, though, you just have to keep practicing!

User Info Menu

I can't see the video here at work but Muthspiel's main guitar since 2012 has been a Moffa Mirtha, a slimline carved top archtop. His amp of choice has long been a Vox AC30. I've seen a few photos of his pedalboards - I believe he does have an overdrive pedal on there but can't identify it. It's the large plain metal pedal with three knobs.

User Info Menu

Here is a pretty good article where they discuss his gear...

Wolfgang Muthspiel's Gear - Jazz Apparatus

BTW... very cool video/song!

User Info Menu

It sounds like a tube screamer with a clean bend, if you can, try a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.

User Info Menu

We don't need no stinkin' pedals to get a good sound
    Amp Up - Guitar Down (Volume)

User Info Menu

The sound on the video is impossible to achieve that way.

User Info Menu

I know many of you use the zendrive - is this capable of such sounds?

User Info Menu

From what I've read his pedals are made by Tonehunter. I believe the 3 knob pedal on his board is the Hot Tuna Over Drive. I own an original Zen Drive2 and you can get a similar low gain type of sound.

Tonehunter - custom made tones

User Info Menu

Potentially yes sort of in the ballpark if mixed in, BUT... most touch sensitive overdrive/distortion combined with a clean blend-wet dry/mix will.
    Unless you find a drive that matches your setup/picking etc etc. exactly, i suggest you check out some of thoose loopers i mentioned above, then borrow some gainy pedals and experiment.

Besides the Sparkle drive Jorge mentioned very few drive pedals feature a clean blend function.

Theres also the Klon (a zillion great sounding clones available) and Maxon OD820 but the clean/gain mix is a fixed ratio/curve on theese, VFE´s Merman (VFE´s take on a KLON) has individual controls for both the clean and dirty signal path.

But, if you are serious about this sound chances are a stand alone mix unit and xx drive will make you the most happy.