The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

Hi jazzmus, thanks!

This sound all very reasonable to me. I will have to try a pedal which allows the clean blend and it’s level. As mentioned I’ve been experimenting with the Strymon Sunset for a couple days in which two overdrives do blend in the clean sound but with no control over it. And I event thought that blending in the clean might be the problem since regardless of how hard I dig in the signal won’t distort enough (at low drive levels) or instantly does (at higher). But I guess it’s as always a combination of picking - guitar - amp rather then the effect only.

I’ve just heard back from Mr Muthspiel (contacted him through fb) and he was using a tonehunter juicyfruit. He didn’t return to my question about if he’s blending in the clean somehow, yet ;-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would say a Zendrive could get in that ballpark, with a clean blend. I might be wrong, of course, but it does sound like he's using a clean blend A LOT. But one never knows... If you want to check more of this kind of sound, Kurt Rosenwinkel was the first guy in jazz, that I know of, using the clean blend pedals with his RAT (and other fx). It's a very unique sound, a clean archtop sound blended with overdrive, although I prefer a regular overdrive.

If you bother to do a google search, there are quite a few pedals that employ the clean blend technique.

As a side note, I'll always be puzzled by the price some pedals achieve, especially overdrives. Most of them, when someone bothers to see what they are, end up being small variations of know circuits.... you just add boutique, handmade, special component, blah blah, and charge 379€ for a pedal. Unbelievable.

PS - California sound, usually means Mesa Boogie overdrive. A used DMB Americana seems perfect.

User Info Menu

That’s what I thought of these prices. Strymon is not much cheaper. But there are at least a couple juicy fruits on German eBay available for around 200E so I’ll hopefully let you know how they sound soon :-)

User Info Menu

Some "old" Wolfgang with a killer big band (and ridiculous drummer!) -- you see/hear him step on some cool overdrive at 3:20!

User Info Menu

Just to catch up on my correspondence with mr Muthspiel - he returned to me again saying that he isn’t blending in any clean - his is how the effect sounds waiting already for mine to be shipped ;-)

User Info Menu

Here's an older video of him. Here he's playing a smaller semi-hollow with Seth Lovers. This model was somewhat popular in his circles it seems. I sold mine to someone in Austria who told me that.

Muthspiel sounds good with this instrument, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzjazz
    Just to catch up on my correspondence with mr Muthspiel - he returned to me again saying that he isn’t blending in any clean - his is how the effect sounds waiting already for mine to be shipped ;-)
    It's great to see someone as accomplished as Wolfgang replying to you

I'm very surprised to hear there's no clean blend... I was watching the video and it seems like there's a mic near his archtop, maybe he uses both the pickup (with pedals) and the mic sounds? And that's why we hear the sound blended? I'm familiar with this record and even his clean sound has any acoustic quality that seems hard to achieve without a mic, no? Or maybe my hears are just getting worse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I'm very surprised to hear there's no clean blend... I was watching the video and it seems like there's a mic near his archtop, maybe he uses both the pickup (with pedals) and the mic sounds? And that's why we hear the sound blended? I'm familiar with this record and even his clean sound has any acoustic quality that seems hard to achieve without a mic, no? Or maybe my hears are just getting worse
    I don’t hear any clean blend nor do I hear any acoustic qualities in his clean sound I would guess this is his amp-only sound, though the microphone seems to be in front of his guitar indeed so I might be totally wrong but both clean and overdriven sound superb to me.

User Info Menu

looks like he's using an unwound G string, interesting...
    since he's using an AC30, this is probably not an overdrive pedal but grit from the amp
    however, his tone is fine, but his playing is incredible, when i listen to him, i never think, what gear is that?
    i think.... could i ever practice that much??? lol.... i love the way he plays nylon string acoustic too
    the duets with brian blade and trios adding mark johnson are so freaking good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    since he's using an AC30, this is probably not an overdrive pedal but grit from the amp
    I’d rather just believe what he wrote to me it’s the pedal

Regarding his playing I don’t feel like “how much practicing” - technically it’s all pretty simple, but sooooo beautiful cool thing that he’s able to play fast (older yt clips) bit he just doesn’t

User Info Menu

Longtime fan of Wolfgang Muthspiel, and it's been a dream to see him live!

Thought the dream was going to happen, but alas ...

He has a new album coming out this week, with Scott Colley and Brian Blade (wow!!) -- that's the good news!

He was scheduled to do a brief tour in a handful of towns in the States, including the West Coast, and I already bought a plane ticket to LA, where he was doing two shows .... until Covid-19 canceled the tour!!!

Very bad news ...

User Info Menu

Just received the new Muthspiel CD, and like his other works: Amazing! Beautiful compositions, beautiful playing, and wonderfl rhythm section!

Highly recommended!

User Info Menu

Have you checked out this record? One of my favourites.

User Info Menu

Oh, that’s fab. The classic Viennese chamber ensemble, too—piano, cello, guitar, piccolo! And a Wolfgang. Whose work is very attractive to me—the songwriter work as well as the improvisatory work and ensemble reading work—, and I just noted his ECM release.

I’ve paused it at 1:45, and will listen to the rest after today’s disappointment at the grocery.

User Info Menu

Have heard the new album and holding out for the vinyl release (this Friday, 27 March).

Looking forward to hearing him in London with Scott Colley and Jeff Ballard, touring this album, this June (fingers crossed).

User Info Menu

Dang. I've been waiting years for Muthspiel to come to town. I would have been at that LA show for sure.

Looking forward to hearing the new album. Thanks for the heads-up!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Some fresh live footage of Wolfgang Muthspiel, with Scott Colley and Jorge Rossy, recorded last week.

A very cool take on 'Take 5'.