The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Who are the best Gypsy Jazz Guitar players?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think in terms of good better or best but I think it all began with Django Rheinhardt, who's spirit is kept alive by a whole bunch of very fine Gipsy Guitarists like Birelly Lagrene, Stochelo Rosenberg, Babik (Rheinhardt, son of) David (Rheinhardt, grandson of), Dorado Schmitt, Samson Schmitt, Angelo Debarre, Silvain Luc and a lot of others.

User Info Menu

Solid list above. I'd also check out Romane -- incredible lines and a fantastic touch.

User Info Menu

Just want to say hi. I just registered and wanted to get started. About the gypsy jazz guitarist there is a swedish player whos name is Andreas Öberg. He plays alot of different styles, but when playing gypsy jazz he is amazing.

User Info Menu

It's got to be the Rosenbergs for me.

User Info Menu

A lot of great gipsy guitarist ...
    Don't forget Christian Escoudé, not a pure gipsy jazz, but a real gipsy man, and a so great musician.
    Listen also the very intersting Rocky Gresset ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andreasfjell
    Just want to say hi. I just registered and wanted to get started. About the gypsy jazz guitarist there is a swedish player whos name is Andreas Öberg. He plays alot of different styles, but when playing gypsy jazz he is amazing.
    Yeah, Andreas can play anything and sound amazing, even when he's just playing chords.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alex07
    A lot of great gipsy guitarist ...
    Don't forget Christian Escoudé, not a pure gipsy jazz, but a real gipsy man, and a so great musician.
    Listen also the very intersting Rocky Gresset ...
    I've seen Christian a few times and he's pretty impressive too.

User Info Menu

There are lots of good players in this style - here are two of the best who haven't been named on this thread yet -

Joscho Stepahn

and Fapy Lafertin

User Info Menu

Howard Alden, Robin Nolan, Birelli Lagrene has already been mentioned, and a local guy I used to play with: Mark Schwartz and Hot Club Pacific:

http://www.hotclubpacific.com/

What Rhythms are used in gypsy jazz?

what are they called and so on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by memyselfandus
    What Rhythms are used in gypsy jazz?

what are they called and so on
    The major style is called la pompe. There are regional variations. Other rhythms are also used.

To get really deep into it, check this out ...
    Djangobooks.com | Gypsy Rhythm by Michael Horowitz

Yes that book looks awesome. It has been on my list for some time.
    Thank you for the link Stackabones.

User Info Menu

I got turned on to this cat about a month ago and was amazed.......

His name is Frank Vignola and hes pretty good....

User Info Menu

Search for a documentary called the Django Legacy featuring a festival with a lot of the players mentioned above, awesome film! To me, the absolute winner is a child about ten years old who swings like mad!

User Info Menu

On behalf of the other Merseyside boys on this board, I would mention Gary Potter from Liverpool - great player in that gypsy style.

User Info Menu

During the late Seventies I was very much into French jazz ... and I remember as worth contributors to the idiom the brothers Elios and Boulou Ferré, as well as the (most often) Grappelli sidemen Marc Fosset ...

User Info Menu

Garry Potter is one that springs to mind, he is simply amazing.

User Info Menu

John Jorgenson Quintet is really good. I've been rockin' their/his stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    On behalf of the other Merseyside boys on this board, I would mention Gary Potter from Liverpool - great player in that gypsy style.
    I have mate in his 50's and he taught gary at school, not music just english etc. theres a couple of guys i know from preston way, where im from, who have played with him. he's supposed to be very good. not heard much.

User Info Menu

I consider Adrien Moignard as one of the greatest gypsy jazz players, whose playing mixes gypsy jazz style and modern jazz playing...
    Watch this out : Dailymotion - Adrien moignard joue Impression (John Coltrane), une vidéo de selmer607. adrien, moignard, guitar, guitare, coltrane
    And on Deezer, listen to his band : Zaiti
    Enjoy !
    guigogane

User Info Menu

Another vote for Gary Potter, here. He always sounds like he's having so much fun and I love the unusual quotes he drops in.

Having said that, I also love all the other usual suspects mentioned here. Birelli's Live At Vienna DVD is one of my most played.

As far as teaching resources go, you can't go wrong with Dennis Chang's DVDs - both rhythm and lead, Check out:

Denis Chang

I've been mworking my way through these and they're great!

Regards,
    D

User Info Menu

A few years back I was playing in France, and a friend took me to a little club in Montmartre where some of 'Django's relatives' were playing; just two guitars, both with 175's. They were mighty fine...anybody know who they are?

Frank Vignola and John Jorgenson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Solid list above. I'd also check out Romane -- incredible lines and a fantastic touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scolohofo
    Nobody mention Romane!