Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 69 of 69

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    thats probably why i like him lol
    Is it because Joe doesn’t know the eight note scale? ;-P

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yeah i wont get into it because i don’t want to be the guy with unpopular opinion and have to defend to the death

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    yeah i wont get into it because i don’t want to be the guy with unpopular opinion and have to defend to the death
    Man we are all so averse to controversy now. There are people on this forum who know who we are talking about personally though so I guess it’s fair enough.

I think PG is completely unprecedented as an exponent of bop on the guitar.

There are some aspects about his playing which mean I listen to him less than other players, but I file that more under personal taste than anything else. I mean the man is objectively a game changing giant of the instrument.

Have you played his stuff to any non guitar players? If so what do they think?

User Info Menu

I can see why other people would be hesitent, but i’m especially thin skinned. Good to know yourself though!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Didn't get the memo that this was all about you.
    You must be new here ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think PG is completely unprecedented as an exponent of bop on the guitar.
    I absolutely agree with this. In my mind, bebop guitar greats like Pass, Raney and Billy Bean found a way to put a lot of the vocabulary on guitar in a way that laid really well on the instrument and are generally playable (taking the ridiculously awesome tempos they were able to take aside).

PG, to me, is giving us the actual language as applied to the guitar. There are no shortcuts to make it lay better or easier to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    You must be new here ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    I absolutely agree with this. In my mind, bebop guitar greats like Pass, Raney and Billy Bean found a way to put a lot of the vocabulary on guitar in a way that laid really well on the instrument and are generally playable (taking the ridiculously awesome tempos they were able to take aside).

PG, to me, is giving us the actual language as applied to the guitar. There are no shortcuts to make it lay better or easier to play.
    perfectly stated!

User Info Menu

Does Bucky Pizzarelli fit in here anywhere?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Vinnie
    Does Bucky Pizzarelli fit in here anywhere?
    I think of him, like his son, Howard Alden and Herb Ellis, as being more of a swing cat.

But the boundaries are pretty flexible...

User Info Menu

Bill Nelson... The only guitar player Be Bop ever had

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think of him, like his son, Howard Alden and Herb Ellis, as being more of a swing cat.

But the boundaries are pretty flexible...
    That was my thought too since he played with Benny Goodman and Vaughn Monroe. I imagine there some bleed-over with many of the names mentioned between swing and bop, or be-bop, or re-bop, or post-bop, or be bop a re bop ...

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell could bop. He made a couple of albums with Jimmy Raney, and they cooked.

User Info Menu

Maybe

Pasquale Grasso
    Doug Raney
    Roni Ben Hure
    Mike Moreno (Yeah, i know he is contemporary Player, but if you listen to his lines, he has checked Bebop out really intensive )
    Bruce Foremen
    JEsse van Ruller
    MArtjin van Iterson
    Joachim Schönecker
    Paulo Morello
    Helmut Kagerer

User Info Menu

I agree about Moreno

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon (February 27, 1923 – April 25, 1990)[1] was an American jazz tenor saxophonist. He was among the earliest tenor players to adapt the bebop musical language of people such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Bud Powell to the instrument.

PS: Check out Something Different where instead of the standard piano trio Gordon plays with a guitar trio, lead by Philip Catherine.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Billy Bean (solo starting at :44):

User Info Menu

As far as guitar players go, Billy Bean. He just oozed bebop.

User Info Menu

Think they may all have one thing in common. I think they would all be riled by these labels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk