The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerpickin'

2 0.85%
  • Far Wes

6 2.55%
  • The Wes Montgomery Trio

20 8.51%
  • The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

67 28.51%
  • Movin' Along

1 0.43%
  • So Much Guitar

5 2.13%
  • Full House

29 12.34%
  • Fusion! Wes Montgomery with Strings

2 0.85%
  • Boss Guitar

20 8.51%
  • Portrait of Wes

4 1.70%
  • Guitar on the Go

2 0.85%
  • The Alternative Wes Montgomery

2 0.85%
  • Movin' Wes

6 2.55%
  • Bumpin'

5 2.13%
  • Smokin' at the Half Note

100 42.55%
  • Smokin' Guitar

3 1.28%
  • Goin' out of My Head

1 0.43%
  • Body And Soul (Live at Ronnie Scott's Club)

1 0.43%
  • California Dreaming

2 0.85%
  • Tequila

4 1.70%
  • A Day in the Life

6 2.55%
  • Down Here on the Ground

3 1.28%
  • Road Song

5 2.13%
  • Willow Weep for Me

6 2.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 86

User Info Menu

Just wondering what everyone's favorite Wes Montgomery album is...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Smokin' at half note

User Info Menu

Riverside Complete Recordings of Wes Montgomery

User Info Menu

You haven't listed the two Jimmy Smith Collaborations or I would vote for them as well as:

The Wes Montgomery Trio
    Boss Guitar
    Guitar on the Go

DG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    +1

User Info Menu

When I started playing guitar (around age 16) I was really into the Beatles, and that's mainly what I played. My Dad was a bassist and one day he says to me "You should listen to this cat..." and put on the vinyl of "The Wes Montgomery Trio." He didn't really say much, just had it on. I was hooked on Wes from that point on. I love so much of his work, but that stands out as my favorite.

User Info Menu

All his playing is great, but like the earlier recording because I'm not of fan of the big orchestrations of the later albums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    I was about to post that, haha!
    Also missing Echoes of Indiana Ave. Definitely one of my two fav. albums, Smokin' At The Half Note (although I kind of thought that was technically under Wynton Kelly's name, or am I wrong?) and Echoes.

User Info Menu

the first album from wes - boss guitar.
    Manuel Hobi - Jazz Gitarre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by disco~juice
    Smokin' at half note
    if they would only have edited out that dreadful commentary...Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album-cherna-facepalm-gif

User Info Menu

I can not chose one...

I love them all..

I have 26 of his albums (LPS)...play one or two weekly...

A great player...

I was in the Navy when I first heard him and said when I get out I'm am going to make a pilgramage (sp) to seek him out and listen to him perform live...

Alas...he died before I got out...

Play his style on many tunes I do...single note...octaves...chord melody stuff...top of the pile man...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

The Incredible Jazz Guitar!!!!

User Info Menu

If I follow conventional critical thought, I'm supposed to vote for Smokin' at the Half Note or Incredible Jazz Guitar because these show Wes at the apex of his long form jazz creativity but in truth, it's ability to pull incredible beauty from harmonically less sophisticated pop material that truly takes my breath away. In a limited number of bars, he could spontaneously compose a perfect gem of a solo - the kind that stays in your head for days. So, I vote for the LP Tequila, strings and all.

User Info Menu

FULL HOUSE for me.

User Info Menu

Full House here too. C'mon, you get Johnny Griffin! Johnny Griffin's like hot sauce. It makes everything better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by randalljazz
    if they would only have edited out that dreadful commentary...Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album-cherna-facepalm-gif

i kinda like it. its so old timey. everybody has cigarette voice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    i kinda like it. its so old timey. everybody has cigarette voice.
    that's cuz those cats were livin' the life as they chose! old timey is GOOD!

User Info Menu

Sorry Dirk, unfair question-no favourites -I just like anything by Wes.For me he could even play brilliantly on Seasick Steves guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Full House here too. C'mon, you get Johnny Griffin! Johnny Griffin's like hot sauce. It makes everything better.
    Yeah, Griff is baddass on that disc . Too bad the Wes / Coltrane thing never happened. How many albums did Wes do with great horn players where they share solos? Isn't there a Poll Winners record with Wes and Cannonball? Anyone heard it?

User Info Menu

Certainly the Jimmy Smith stuff should be included, but Smokin' at the Half Note is just the way I heard him 6 nights running at the Jazz Workshop in Boston. He had an amazing presence as well, lit up the room, as was a wonderful, gentle person,even driving me home in his rented car after I missed the last train because we were hanging out carrying on about music and the guitar. A great player and a great person, very few recordings captured the impact of his sound and swing when one caught him in person.

User Info Menu

Wes was wonderful in most of his albums but for me, his best music came from the releases before the octaves became his signature sound.

wiz

User Info Menu

SO many great ones but Full House probably gets played the most!

User Info Menu

I like the earlier Pacific and Riverside records better than the later and more commercial ones (but I acknowledge that he had to make a living and feed his seven kids). If I absolutely have to pick one - which I do reluctantly - I think it must be 'Far Wes' recorded on Pacific with his two brothers. The two ballads 'Old Folks' and 'Falling in Love with Love' are so beautiful and full of tenderness, love and warmth.

User Info Menu

Smokin' at the Half Note

User Info Menu

I like Bumpin' because it was the first Wes album I bought (used). I probably listen to the albums he made with Jimmy Smith the most though.

I also like A Day in the Life for sentimental reasons because I love the songs, but I'm not crazy about the arrangements. It has Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter in the band.