The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerpickin'

2 0.85%
  • Far Wes

6 2.55%
  • The Wes Montgomery Trio

20 8.51%
  • The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

67 28.51%
  • Movin' Along

1 0.43%
  • So Much Guitar

5 2.13%
  • Full House

29 12.34%
  • Fusion! Wes Montgomery with Strings

2 0.85%
  • Boss Guitar

20 8.51%
  • Portrait of Wes

4 1.70%
  • Guitar on the Go

2 0.85%
  • The Alternative Wes Montgomery

2 0.85%
  • Movin' Wes

6 2.55%
  • Bumpin'

5 2.13%
  • Smokin' at the Half Note

100 42.55%
  • Smokin' Guitar

3 1.28%
  • Goin' out of My Head

1 0.43%
  • Body And Soul (Live at Ronnie Scott's Club)

1 0.43%
  • California Dreaming

2 0.85%
  • Tequila

4 1.70%
  • A Day in the Life

6 2.55%
  • Down Here on the Ground

3 1.28%
  • Road Song

5 2.13%
  • Willow Weep for Me

6 2.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 86 of 86

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Interesting that this thread came back up, I was just listening to Full House again last night.

I have to put in for another favorite-- "A Dynamic New Sound" with Mel Rhyne on organ, and Wes on a 175, I beleive!
    “Dynamic new sound” is the one I listen to the most often. It’s just tasty.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Agreed!! I got it few months ago along with In The Beginning. It's fascinating to hear how his playing was so mature so early in some ways, yet it developed so much in others. I think a lot of his early work was more innovative and exciting than his later playing. But he became much more introspective later on, playing less complex and intense lines but beautifully shaping what he did play more artfully. I suspect he thought about everything a bit more deeply near the end because he sensed an impending premature demise. He may well have had cardiac symptoms he never described, which is common in middle aged men with heart disease.

Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album-wes-montgomery-beginning-jpg

User Info Menu

Boss guitar all day! I love the vibe of that album. Blew my mind when I first heard.

User Info Menu

Mid-70s vinyl from Verve, “The Small Group Recordings.” Still have the copy I bought in high school. Not sure if CD available.
    Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album-69404387-ba6a-4e5d-adbc-2a6f22ca382d-jpeg

1. The Incredible Jazz Guitar
    2. Smokin' At The Half Note
    3. Boss Guitar

User Info Menu

Definitely "The Incredible Jazz Guitar." That album is perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Just wondering what everyone's favorite Wes Montgomery album is...
    Every last one of them! :-)

Doug

User Info Menu

The Resonance Records releases have been some of my favorite in the past few years. They capture Wes in his earlier years, and much is recorded live.

My current favorite is Back on Indiana Avenue. It’s a double album, one recorded in the studio, the other live. The recordings were lost in a fire, but a second set was duplicated on DAT by Jamie Aerbersold.

Resonance released this with a wonderful historical retrospective booklet. Many contributors bring very comprehensive view of Wes’ career, including Benson.

It’s an amazing archive and the 22 tunes are great listening and are really quite useful in my studies of guitaristic covers of tunes like Tune-up, where you really want to focus on how Wes approaches a progression and an improvised solo.

Resonance releases of Wes’ work have made an important contribution to jazz and to his estate.

Wes Montgomery Back on Indiana Avenue: The Carroll DeCamp Recordings [CD] | Resonance Records

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bflat233; 12-01-2022 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

An unrelated Wes tidbit I just learned:
    The actor who played Ensign Travis Mayweather on the TV series Star Trek: Enterprise is Anthony Montgomery, a grandson of Wes. Kinda looks like Wes, doesn't he?

Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album-anthony-montgomery-png
    Last edited by Flat; 02-05-2023 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

i have (23) of his albums and I like many.

But Smokin at the Half Note is probably the one I go to the most.

Tom

User Info Menu

As a Jazz guitarist, my favorite Wes album without a question is Smokin' at the Half Note. Can't go wrong with Wes.