The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite Wes Montgomery Album?

Voters
235. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fingerpickin'

2 0.85%
  • Far Wes

6 2.55%
  • The Wes Montgomery Trio

20 8.51%
  • The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

67 28.51%
  • Movin' Along

1 0.43%
  • So Much Guitar

5 2.13%
  • Full House

29 12.34%
  • Fusion! Wes Montgomery with Strings

2 0.85%
  • Boss Guitar

20 8.51%
  • Portrait of Wes

4 1.70%
  • Guitar on the Go

2 0.85%
  • The Alternative Wes Montgomery

2 0.85%
  • Movin' Wes

6 2.55%
  • Bumpin'

5 2.13%
  • Smokin' at the Half Note

100 42.55%
  • Smokin' Guitar

3 1.28%
  • Goin' out of My Head

1 0.43%
  • Body And Soul (Live at Ronnie Scott's Club)

1 0.43%
  • California Dreaming

2 0.85%
  • Tequila

4 1.70%
  • A Day in the Life

6 2.55%
  • Down Here on the Ground

3 1.28%
  • Road Song

5 2.13%
  • Willow Weep for Me

6 2.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 86

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Yeah, Griff is baddass on that disc . Too bad the Wes / Coltrane thing never happened. How many albums did Wes do with great horn players where they share solos? Isn't there a Poll Winners record with Wes and Cannonball? Anyone heard it?
    You must get this...Poll Winners...it's got Victor Feldman on vibes and piano as well. Never Will I Marry is absolutely smokin'!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite Montgomery album: Grooveyard

Groove Yard - The Montgomery Brothers : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards : AllMusic

Its not on your list, probably because its "The Montgomery Brothers" not "Wes." But still its a great album for Wes! With great songs: Bock to Bock (one of my favorite Wes songs to play), Grooveyard (another favorite), If Ever I Should Lose You (great melodic treatment of a popular tune), and lots more. If you don't know it, check it out!

User Info Menu

I think a better poll might be, "what is your favorite Wes album BESIDES "Smokin' at the Half Note"? I love everything he ever did... strings, CTI, Indiana Avenue, all the stuff with Jimmy. I about had tears in my eyes, though, when I finally got the Jazz Masters (?) DVD and got to actually hear his voice and watch him interact with that dutch (?) trio, as well as watching him smile and bop along with Mabern's trio, while he's spinning out the most incredible stuff.

I would have to vote for "Movin' Wes" - it's got People, Senza Fine, and West Coast Blues. Can't beat it, except that you can't beat anything he recorded with anything else. Nice tone on that album, as well, though I love that early "snappy" tone from the late 50's and early 60's as well. Not sure if that was the P90's, or the tweed amps at Van Gelders, or what.

I would never denigrate any of Wes' commercial stuff... nobody did it better. Short, amazing statements on pop tunes of the day. Try and beat the solo on "People". Just an amazing human being, and unlike some other artists throughout history, he was seemingly the same humble, kind, happy person his amazing work seems to convey. No tortured artist here. Maybe we don't have to compromise who we are, to create great art. I'm forever in his debt. His playing has lifted me up for the past 40 years, never fails.

User Info Menu

Here's a relatively unknown tune by the Montgomery brothers, that I heard years ago; This is a very atmospheric tune I think.

It's called "snowfall"

User Info Menu

the video that goes with that wes tune is a bit odd, don't be put off by it

User Info Menu

The compilation of Riverside recordings is outstanding. If I had to pick just one Riverside LP, it would be "So Much Guitar." Ron Carter and Hank Jones are great. Wes is simply from another planet. He was the hardest swinging guitar player in history. He could build a solo better than anybody, too.

i want to add The Incredible a Guitar of Wes Montgomery, after repeated recent listentngs.
    Last edited by Greentone; 06-25-2014 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    FULL HOUSE for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Full House here too. C'mon, you get Johnny Griffin! Johnny Griffin's like hot sauce. It makes everything better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ooglybong
    SO many great ones but Full House probably gets played the most!

I thought I was going to be the only one to say Fullhouse. Glad to see others agree. I never get sick of it. It sounds as fresh now as the first time I heard it 15 years ago. Not sure whos playing I dig more on the recording, Grffin or Wes. They are both on fire. Love it!

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll pick one recording.

the Riverside box set.

User Info Menu

I haven't heard them all but so far it's Riverside.

Hello...

User Info Menu

"Misty" is my favorite Wes Montgomery song from the album "Smokin at Half Note"

Regards
    Clavan
    (Netherlands - Europese)
    Last edited by tuxtux; 02-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Definitely Full House. Because Wes really shows his full range there. He does it all on that album.

User Info Menu

For me it's "Bags Meet Wes." I've listened to "Delilah" at least once a week since the day the record was released fifty-two years ago. I love the sound of vibes and guitar, and my first jazz group came about partially because of this album (photo from 1967).

My closest runner-up is "Full House," although I think "The Boxed Set" is a good answer too.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Gosh, how cool it must have been to have gotten a lift from Wes! That's like gold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scot63
    Gosh, how cool it must have been to have gotten a lift from Wes! That's like gold.
    Yeah ronjazz, you're my new hero. That is incredible.

User Info Menu

Wes was like almost every great jazz guitarist I've met, and that means most of them: generous, warm, friendly, open, funny; just like his playing. I was in a very fortunate position in my career, since I produced events and clubs as well as played, so I met and worked with Kessel, Ellis, Farlow, Hall, Benson, Martino, Metheny, Frisell, Stern, Scofield, Puma, Remler, Coryell, Mottola, Tropea, Bertoncini, Pizzarelli, Barnes, Burrell, both Raneys, Goodrick, Abercrombie, Malone, Juris, Szabo and so on. They were all wonderful people, generous with their wisdom, and easy to be with.

User Info Menu

Incredible jazz guitar changed my approach to guitar playing. Wes plays through changes so smoothly that you don't notice the changes

I love the use of octaves, chords and single notes. Wes always seemed to solo in a 3-tiered approach; he would start on single notes, go to octaves and finally full chords.

What a master!

User Info Menu

The old Verve recording called, I think, "The Dynamic Duo" got me started and is still one I love hearing.

User Info Menu

my favorite jazz story - i'm curious if anyone else has heard it

ray brown is pressed by someone at sometime to say who he enjoyed playing with most

(this bit sounds plausible to me - i can imagine someone wanting to ask a man (the man?) who has played with everyone, who he enjoyed playing with most)

he dismissed the question (of course)

it was pressed

he dismissed it again (sure)

pressed politely again (i can imagine really wanting to hear him say something on this topic)

he says:

the two most musical people he's played with (nice way to put it) are bird and wes.

i really like that story

if you love bird as much as we all do, its a good way of saying how amazing wes really is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Wes was like almost every great jazz guitarist I've met, and that means most of them: generous, warm, friendly, open, funny; just like his playing. I was in a very fortunate position in my career, since I produced events and clubs as well as played, so I met and worked with Kessel, Ellis, Farlow, Hall, Benson, Martino, Metheny, Frisell, Stern, Scofield, Puma, Remler, Coryell, Mottola, Tropea, Bertoncini, Pizzarelli, Barnes, Burrell, both Raneys, Goodrick, Abercrombie, Malone, Juris, Szabo and so on. They were all wonderful people, generous with their wisdom, and easy to be with.
    ^ this

I've met many of those listed and to a man/woman they were all approachable and engaging.
    just nice regular folks that happen to play guitar.

[can't say any of them ever gave me a ride home though!]

edited to add: hard to pick an lp, but Live @ The Half Note and Boss Guitar might be my two favorites. and even harder to pick, but favorite solo might be Canadian Sunset
    Last edited by wintermoon; 09-23-2014 at 02:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Hard to pick one Wes solo as there wasn't one that was not brilliant but my favorite is an unconventional choice: Wes' version of how insensitive. I just love the rhythmic displacement he uses and sense of melody. It seems to embody everything I love about Wes. Close seconds? Impressions, Here's that Rainy Day - the European version where he begins his solo in double octaves. What friggin' musicality! He's essentially, playing an amazing solo on one string!

User Info Menu

Boss Guitar!!!! Because nobody but wes can make a cheesy song like Besame mucho groove so much.

Also Echoes of indiana avenue while not in the list in definitely in my top 4-5 wes albums.

User Info Menu

The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

..because it's the very album that turned me on to jazz in the first place.

(these days, with things like appleMusic etc, i don't really do 'albums' anymore.. more individual artist/song based now.. got rid of all my CDs last decade)

User Info Menu

Interesting that this thread came back up, I was just listening to Full House again last night.

I have to put in for another favorite-- "A Dynamic New Sound" with Mel Rhyne on organ, and Wes on a 175, I beleive!

User Info Menu

Damn straight!! My favourite for sure- start to finish he just kills it!!