The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 1944

User Info Menu

Mark and Philco - quick diversion (don't want to totally derail). I noticed that both of you guys have shaped nails for finger style playing. When you play finger style do you change your guitar's position into a more classical arrangement (or maybe just play an actual classical guitar)? I've been doing a lot of solo guitar lately, and have been using no nails, but I'm feeling like it's starting to limit what I do, and am just curious about what other folks are doing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Henry Johnson was mentioned (and pictured) above.
    Thought some footage of him in action might be interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Henry Johnson was mentioned (and pictured) above.
    Thought some footage of him in action might be interesting.

This whole concert is up on YouTube. He crushes it on Days of Wine.

If you find Caravan he demoes some pretty frightening chops towards the end of the solo. I really dig his playing so much, and he gets the best tone of any Benson picker, to my ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    This whole concert is up on YouTube. He crushes it on Days of Wine.

If you find Caravan he demoes some pretty frightening chops towards the end of the solo. I really dig his playing so much, and he gets the best tone of any Benson picker, to my ears.
    Henry's been a favorite of mine for years. Very classy guy too. If you haven't heard the CD "An Evening At Sea" it's a must . . for any HJ fan.

Oh, by the way . . that's a pretty cool looking guitar too. I wonder if that might have just a wee bit to do with Henry's great tone. Henry has a few of them. My favorite is the blond he took with him on the "An Evening At Sea" CD. It's a given that even though the CD was recorded live . . the master mix down was studio enhanced. But, the tone is just fantastic.

User Info Menu

ecj> not sure if you've seen this vid . . but, if you que it up to 9 minutes in, you'l get a great close up of HJ's technique. Notice he anchors on the pick gurad more often than not. Also, notice that while incorporating what we've come to know as the Benson technique . . the angle of his pick is not nearly as dramatic as some suggest it should be. I believe that's the reason his tone is less "harsh or scrill" for lack of better adjectives . . . and may also be the reason you like his tone best . . of the many "Benson pickers" out there.

That's what I love most about HJ. He's a bit of GB . . but mostly HJ. He's a bit of Wes . . but mostly HJ. IMO, that's true of his lines, his comping and his tone.

Oh, The blind guy . . Rory Hoffman . . he aint too awful bad either!

Kenny Burrell at NAMM 2004 with Rory Hoffman and Henry Johnson. - YouTube

User Info Menu

Heritage amps are everywhere...

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Let's talk thumb.
    Some Benson / Stylles pickers seem to have their thumb bent back. (I don't know of anyone who plays this way with a cocked thumb.) But the thumb ain't a straight thing to start with, so the way a player's thumb may look and the way the force is moving through the thumb to the pick might be different.

I've been thinking about this today because of a private conversation with another Benson / Stylles picker and realized I had never thought about how I was using my thumb. But it turns out there's a lot of area between 'bent back' (which is not a problem for me to do but I'm not sure it's the best thing to do) something closer to straight.

Thoughts? (Not just about me, but about your own thumb and this style of picking.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    To All,
    I've been following this thread in increments as it has grown over the past year and a half. Having decided to ask some questions, I went back and re-read the entire thread and watched the videos. Thanks to all of you who posted videos. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. You guys represent the spirit of the forum at its best.

Although I am called upon at times to accompany singers performing standards, I also find myself having to cover blues, country and R&B also. With that in mind, I would like to know:

1. While it appears that the Benson Technique translates best to flat wound strings, do any of you (philco, setemupjoe,ecj, 3625) think that using round wounds is completely out of the question?

2. What gauge strings are you all using and what, in your estimation, is the lightest gauge that one could use successfully?

3. Telecasters were mentioned briefly in regard to the pick-up selector. Have any of you successfully emploted the BT on a Tele or do you feel that an archtop is the best way to go? George seemed to do O.K. with a Les Paul the video that was posted earlier today but the LP has more in common with an archtop fingerboard and string arc-wise than a Tele.

4. Most of you that have purchased J.C. Stylles tutorial have said good things about it. Is the video itself enough or does the coaching package justify the extra cost?

Thanks,
    Jerome
    1. I don't see any reason you can't use round wounds. I play a strat for some occasions with round wounds and I haven't had a problem.

2. I use heavy gauge strings not because of the technique but because I prefer the sound and feel. La Bella 15-56 flat wound on my Heritage Super Eagle and Thomastic 14-55 flat wound on my Gibson Super V. Honestly I think you could use this technique on whatever string gauge you find most comfortable.

3.I know some guitars present problems because of their hardware. Honestly I can't remember the last time I played a Tele so I can't give you a definite answer about that.

4. I don't know about J.C.'s video. Haven't seen it but it seems a lot of people on this forum are giving it the thumbs up.

Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Yeah, I've got a couple of Super Eagles. I really love the patina your blond has taken on. The Super V looks and sounds great. The video shows a great close up illustration of the picking technique in question. I'd be really interested in seeing a video of your playing utilizing the more conventional technique . . . most particularly with the Super V. I'd be curious as to the differences in tone, as well as execution of speed. I hope you get to post one while this thread is still active.
    Hi Patrick,
    I stopped playing with a conventional grip 20 years ago so to try and play something now would be embarrassing for both of us.

Mark

User Info Menu

Mark and Philco - quick diversion (don't want to totally derail). I noticed that both of you guys have shaped nails for finger style playing. When you play finger style do you change your guitar's position into a more classical arrangement (or maybe just play an actual classical guitar)? I've been doing a lot of solo guitar lately, and have been using no nails, but I'm feeling like it's starting to limit what I do, and am just curious about what other folks are doing.
    I play some classical so I have my nails grown out right now. When I do this it's on a nylon string guitar and I'm positioning the guitar in the traditional way on the left knee with a footstool. For finger style on my jazz guitars I always keep the guitar position on my right knee.
    Last edited by setemupjoe; 06-22-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Let's talk thumb.
    Some Benson / Stylles pickers seem to have their thumb bent back. (I don't know of anyone who plays this way with a cocked thumb.) But the thumb ain't a straight thing to start with, so the way a player's thumb may look and the way the force is moving through the thumb to the pick might be different.

I've been thinking about this today because of a private conversation with another Benson / Stylles picker and realized I had never thought about how I was using my thumb. But it turns out there's a lot of area between 'bent back' (which is not a problem for me to do but I'm not sure it's the best thing to do) something closer to straight.

Thoughts? (Not just about me, but about your own thumb and this style of picking.)
    Some people's thumbs seem to bend way back. Look at Wes's thumb. Other people like myself have it much straighter. Either way though the thumb joint needs to be locked. No flapping the joint in and out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    1. I don't see any reason you can't use round wounds. I play a strat for some occasions with round wounds and I haven't had a problem.

2. I use heavy gauge strings not because of the technique but because I prefer the sound and feel. La Bella 15-56 flat wound on my Heritage Super Eagle and Thomastic 14-55 flat wound on my Gibson Super V. Honestly I think you could use this technique on whatever string gauge you find most comfortable.

3.I know some guitars present problems because of their hardware. Honestly I can't remember the last time I played a Tele so I can't give you a definite answer about that.

4. I don't know about J.C.'s video. Haven't seen it but it seems a lot of people on this forum are giving it the thumbs up.

Mark
    Mark,
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I agree that heavy strings sound do better. Using .011-50 with an unwound third seems to be the limit for the kinds of jobs I've been playing.
    Thanks again,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    Some people's thumbs seem to bend way back. Look at Wes's thumb. Other people like myself have it much straighter. Either way though the thumb joint needs to be locked. No flapping the joint in and out.
    Right. Here's the thing. My thumb bends back without any trouble but there's no real push from it. Also, it means it's the pad of my thumb, and the lower pad at that, which presses against the pick. Today I've worked on making the upper right tip of the thumb be the point of contact with the pick. This doesn't make my wrist cock by any means, but it's not bent all the way back either. It's actually straighter than before. I'll mess around with it for a bit before making another video.

Another way to put this is that I'm not sure what "locked" feels like. I know when it's bent back, it doesn't move any, but it doesn't feel any more "locked" than when it's fairly straight but not bent back. (Does "locked" really mean "not cocked"?)

User Info Menu

Right. Here's the thing. My thumb bends back without any trouble but there's no real push from it. Also, it means it's the pad of my thumb, and the lower pad at that, which presses against the pick. Today I've worked on making the upper right tip of the thumb be the point of contact with the pick. This doesn't make my wrist cock by any means, but it's not bent all the way back either. It's actually straighter than before. I'll mess around with it for a bit before making another video.

Another way to put this is that I'm not sure what "locked" feels like. I know when it's bent back, it doesn't move any, but it doesn't feel any more "locked" than when it's fairly straight but not bent back. (Does "locked" really mean "not cocked"?)
    I think the main thing is that the thumb joint shouldn't be moving. Everyone's thumb is different so the angle of the thumb when locked differs according to everyone's own physiology. As long as you're not "flapping" your thumb, that is, engaging the thumb joint, you should be fine.

Mark

i do quite a bit of acoustic steel string finger picking for my work. I grew up working out the finger picking styles of early Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, Donovan, Peter Paul and Mary, Feliciano etc. So I always need some nail on my right hand. The only thing I have to watch re the BT is the length of the thumb nail. It has to be shorter otherwise it presses on the plectrum.
    I don't change the way I hold the guitar at all.

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    To All,
    I've been following this thread in increments as it has grown over the past year and a half. Having decided to ask some questions, I went back and re-read the entire thread and watched the videos. Thanks to all of you who posted videos. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. You guys represent the spirit of the forum at its best.

Although I am called upon at times to accompany singers performing standards, I also find myself having to cover blues, country and R&B also. With that in mind, I would like to know:

1. While it appears that the Benson Technique translates best to flat wound strings, do any of you (philco, setemupjoe,ecj, 3625) think that using round wounds is completely out of the question?

2. What gauge strings are you all using and what, in your estimation, is the lightest gauge that one could use successfully?

3. Telecasters were mentioned briefly in regard to the pick-up selector. Have any of you successfully emploted the BT on a Tele or do you feel that an archtop is the best way to go? George seemed to do O.K. with a Les Paul the video that was posted earlier today but the LP has more in common with an archtop fingerboard and string arc-wise than a Tele.

4. Most of you that have purchased J.C. Stylles tutorial have said good things about it. Is the video itself enough or does the coaching package justify the extra cost?

Thanks,
    Jerome
    I don't think round wounds are out of the question. I'm stuck here in London with only an acoustic guitar and it's strung with Phosphor Bronze rounds. I can actually use the technique on it.
    The trick is to change the angle of the pick to accommodate. Very easy to do so. Less angle = less scrape noise. I don't seem to lose any speed.

On my jazz guitars I'm using Thomastik Benson .012 to .053 but I do swap out the first 2 strings for a .014 and .018. I think 3625 is using .011
    I like the heavier gauges because the string does not move much. Especially the bass strings. It's much easier to be articulate on the bass strings if they just sit there and don't vibrate too much. I also try hard to play in a staccato style. Just a personal preference.
    This is something you will have to experiment with. Everyone will have there preference. I have no proof of the different ballistics involved.

A Fender Telecaster will sound great using this technique with Flat Wound strings. You may have to adjust the hand position because of the lack of a raised scratch plate. Round wounds may work but there would definitely be some scrape sound. The switch can be reversed (rewired) so it is out of the way.

I have the JC Styles video and it helped a lot. My only concern was that you never got to see the pick hand and grip close up (as in over the shoulder view). I would still recommend the video though. I do keep going back to it. I have been told that if you have the personal coaching you will get much clearer videos that will remove any guess work. I ended up concocting my own style of the BT that I am still adjusting from time to time so I haven't done the personal coaching thing.
    Last edited by Philco; 06-22-2014 at 06:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I haven't gone the personal coaching route either, though if money weren't an issue, I would have. I think the video tutorial is well worth the money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    ecj> not sure if you've seen this vid . .
    Hey Patrick - yes this is a great vid. It's on my list of favorites that I look back on from time-to-time to double check my technique. Henry's technique is so perfect - he just has that really spot on approach to jazz guitar that seems so direct. There are no superfluous notes.

User Info Menu

Thanks Philco. Your answers are most helpful.

Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor gets so much press these days for his fingerstyle playing that folks don't talk much about his plectrum playing. But when he was playing with Stephane Grappelli and on his later group recordings, MT played some fine music with a pick.

Due to the overwhelming number of solo videos,it's difficult to find videos of him playing with a pick but I've found a few and he appears to be using the same grip as the previously mentioned players.

User Info Menu

Quick question - do any of you folks lose any volume using this style of picking. When I pick this way my volume is way way down. I can't seem to get a nice attack on the strings.

Thanks guys.

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Quick question - do any of you folks lose any volume using this style of picking. When I pick this way my volume is way way down. I can't seem to get a nice attack on the strings.

Thanks guys.

edh
    Are you picking with a rest stroke? This should allow you to pick quite forcefully without the pick moving too far beyond the initial stroke. I find I can get a stronger tone with this technique than when I played with a traditional grip.

User Info Menu

Yes I have had online coaching from JC, when he first started the project, and will say that he is very attentive to the emails that he receives. It's very useful if you can send him video clips of your playing from various angles and, in my case, he responded very quickly with detailed suggestions and often with supporting video clips of his own. My tip of the day would be to make sure that you can prioritize the technical aspects of your playing whilst signed up with JC, and perhaps get some double time licks under your fingers so you can actually demonstrate where your technique starts to break down. Guitar time is at a premium for me at the moment but when I get to the stage where I can justify the time spent on fine tuning my technique, JC is the man who I will contact. I think that he is a good teacher in that he genuinely wants you to 'get it'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    It seemed that way to me at first but not so much now. There are ways to hold a pick that yield less volume but the more I get closer to 'right' with this, the more I'm getting the volume back. So my take (-provisional, of course, from one far from the mountaintop) is that when you get it right (or one of the few right ways) the attack is good and the volume is there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Foley
    Yes I have had online coaching from JC, when he first started the project, and will say that he is very attentive to the emails that he receives. It's very useful if you can send him video clips of your playing from various angles and, in my case, he responded very quickly with detailed suggestions and often with supporting video clips of his own. My tip of the day would be to make sure that you can prioritize the technical aspects of your playing whilst signed up with JC, and perhaps get some double time licks under your fingers so you can actually demonstrate where your technique starts to break down. Guitar time is at a premium for me at the moment but when I get to the stage where I can justify the time spent on fine tuning my technique, JC is the man who I will contact. I think that he is a good teacher in that he genuinely wants you to 'get it'.
    Thanks, Stu. I'm happy to hear that. It looks like August will be my first chance to do a members-only month. I'm looking forward to it. Meanwhile, the company's not so bad here! ;o) We've got quite a little club started....