The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

The story heard from bass player, Chuck Berghofer, was that, on the way to the session, he'd heard an arrangement of a tune on a 1974 James Taylor album...man, its the exact line, and fit into the theme song perfectly. Hilarious, great story...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Marty, thanks.

Just wanted to answer you guys about the gear, since Danny (still call him that!) is working on some orchestrations...'k, let's see:
    On Barney Miller, Charlies' Angels, Rockford Files, he said he used his Gibson ES335td & Yamaha 100W G100-112 amp;
    On Magnum PI, he used his '51 Telecaster (Aug. 8, No.1814, someone stole) & Yamaha SG 3000 guitars, Fender Vibrolux, Paul Rivera mod. amp.
    There ya go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cetteferge
    Hey Marty, thanks.

Just wanted to answer you guys about the gear, since Danny (still call him that!) is working on some orchestrations...'k, let's see:
    On Barney Miller, Charlies' Angels, Rockford Files, he said he used his Gibson ES335td & Yamaha 100W G100-112 amp;
    On Magnum PI, he used his '51 Telecaster (Aug. 8, No.1814, someone stole) & Yamaha SG 3000 guitars, Fender Vibrolux, Paul Rivera mod. amp.
    There ya go.
    Thanks cetteferge, greatly appreciate the follow-up and details. I hope you, Danny and Marty will share more stories and insights.

User Info Menu

That is probably the biggest jazz earworm I have ever heard. I hum that bassline just about every day for some reason or another.

User Info Menu

Just heard the version from Season 1 and it sounds like there's an effect used on the bass that's not in the other version. Is this true, and if so, what effect is used?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cetteferge
    Sorry guys...I know this is an old thread, but my brother, Dan Ferguson was the guitarist on:

Rockford Files (all)
    Magnum P.I. (NOT Larry Carlton, as is being incorrectly noted on All Music, and other sites we're finding)
    Greatest American Hero (all)
    White Shadow (all)
    Barney Miller (all)
    Charlie's Angels (all)
    and about a zillion others, not to mention, over 120 albums...but, there are lots of Dan Ferguson guitarists on Google, and many of his credits are incorrectly given to others...many more credits than are incorrectly given to him.

Oh, and the bass line that is mentioned for Barney Miller was done by Chuck Berghofer, not Carol Kaye. I know because my father, Allyn Ferguson, was the composer, and I was in the studio session! Chuck heard it on the way to the studio...but, I won't tell you where he heard it...!
    By the way, Barney Miller was recorded twice, for first and second seasons, but it was always Dan and Chuck on gtr. & bass.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know who did the raucous guitar work on the ENDING THEME to "
    WKRP In Cincinnati"? That was just brilliant. Sounds like Dan Ferguson's tone with that Yamaha amp but you never know.

User Info Menu

Found this on a Google search:

"The closing theme, "WKRP In Cincinnati End Credits", was a hard rock number composed and performed by Jim Ellis, an Atlanta musician who recorded some of the incidental music for the show. According to people who attended the recording sessions, Ellis didn't yet have lyrics for the closing theme, so he sang nonsense words to give an idea of how it would sound. Wilson decided to use the words anyway, since he felt that it would be funny to use lyrics that were deliberately gibberish, as a satire on the incomprehensibility of many rock songs. Also, because CBS always had an announcer talking over the closing credits, Wilson knew that no one would actually hear the closing theme lyrics anyway.