Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, George Benson is a player who blows my mind and I know is great, but when I go to the record store all that's there is Breezin' and all his singing stuff. I know he's great at that and that's great, but I want to hear him BURN on some changes, I want to hear him play the blues and rhythm changes and I want to hear him playing some real jazz!! If anyone could refer me to any records like this I would be most thankful. Thank you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look for his early CTI stuff Bad Benson, Body Talk, and White Rabbit. Also old album on Columbia Cookbook.

User Info Menu

Try Giblet Gravy, Cookbook, It's Uptown, all good early releases with some great straight ahead playing. Also check out "Off the Top" by Jimmy Smith. He really rips some terrific solos on that recording.

User Info Menu

Also check out Beyond the Blue Horizon, Blue Benson and Tenderly (which has some vocal tracks but his versions of Stella, Mambo Inn and the solo rendition of Tenderly are definitely worth it).

And if you really wanna hear George burn, there's Witchcraft...
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 11-21-2012 at 02:25 AM.

User Info Menu

There's also some good Benson playing on Lou Donaldson's Aligator Boogaloo, Jimmy Smith's The Boss and on a lot of Jack McDuff records, as a sideman. Personally I like his recordings from before 1970 best.

User Info Menu

I'll double down on Bad Benson.

User Info Menu

Big agreement with all previous posters! There was also a Verve collection that says Compact Jazz George Benson that has Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Billy Cobham and Jimmy Smith on it, and a lot of standards and blues. There was a (probably bootleg recorded) live recording recorded with Micky Tucker, George Duvivier and Al Harewood from a NJ club in '73. It's enough music for a double CD set and standards. That recording is released on different labels called Par Excellence, Witchcraft, and I'm sure other names on other labels. That's what happens when good unlicenced recordings get around.

User Info Menu

he was on Dexter Gordon LP called Gotham City.

i also remember a tune on a Tony Williams LP that was pretty hot.

User Info Menu

In addition to all the albums people already recommended, there's a little-known live recording called "After Hours: Live at Casa Caribe Club."

It has some really great straight-ahead playing, including the most burning version of "Oleo" I have ever heard from a guitar player. It has to be heard to believed...a good one to play to terrify your shredder friends.

User Info Menu

Cookbook and Bad Benson.

User Info Menu

George Benson was a sideman on several of Freddie Hubbard CTI releases including First Light and SkyDive. He also appeared on a near 20 minute live tune on Johnny Hammond's Breakout, as well as a Dexter Gordon record from the 70's. I actually prefer his work on other people's albums to his own. From the late 60's throughout the 70's and into the 80's he was playing at an incredibly high level. There is also a live album from the 80's he did with McCoy Tyner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    In addition to all the albums people already recommended, there's a little-known live recording called "After Hours: Live at Casa Caribe Club."

It has some really great straight-ahead playing, including the most burning version of "Oleo" I have ever heard from a guitar player. It has to be heard to believed...a good one to play to terrify your shredder friends.
    Great recommendation! I hadn't heard this, previously. Bought it and have been listening. Very cool double-set!

User Info Menu

It's fusion, not straight ahead, but check out Benson's solo on this track from Tony Williams' late '70s solo album "The Joy of Flying":

User Info Menu

+1 for "Off The Top"

I transcribed one of his solos off this Mimosa

Although Mr Youtube didn't allow me to put up the audio!
    Enjoy..

User Info Menu

all good advices.

I like, Talkin' Verve ompilation, not 100% straight ahead, but BS content is rather low, I think. Sunny version is just great. All with tape hiss.
    Last edited by Vladan; 11-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I think this is a great track, even if I still can't play the main riff. Joe Sample is superb on this track.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    It's fusion, not straight ahead, but check out Benson's solo on this track from Tony Williams' late '70s solo album "The Joy of Flying":
    Great stuff! Some fantastic riffs/runs coming out of George on this funky number..he explores the non limitations of
    his guitar in a avante garde manner...driving the pace.." George", you is da Guitar God! I can't follow your
    runs in my head, let alone even attempt on my guitar....

jeez..I'll think I'll throw my Epi Broadway against the wall...

'course one of my favorites is him playing Stevie Wonder's "Lately"..that is guitar god soul..right from his heart!

what more can you say..the guitar is speaking for the Guitar God..love the tone from his GB200..
    and that never ending run at the end with a SUS chord using his simulated "vibrato arm" technique where he moves the neck volume pot back and forth.

I believe it has been discontinued by Ibanez..shame..they had something really nice there.
    Last edited by Daniel Kuryliak; 10-21-2013 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Benson played on Stanley Turrentine's 'Sugar' album. Turrentine, Benson, Freddie Hubbard, Lonnie Smith, Ron Carter, Billy Kaye. Fantastic lineup! Really good album, GB's playing is very concise and shows some great comping. As much as I like GB's solo stuff it's cool hearing him in a truly collaborative setting with other great players.

User Info Menu

I still love Breezin. 1-6-2-5
    Last edited by GuyBoden; 01-28-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: It's a 1-6-2-5

User Info Menu

Gotta go with Casa Caribe, all the CTI stuff (especially White Rabbit, which has Herbie H smokin' outrageously on Little Train of Caipira) and of course, the early stuff with Clockwise, Thunderwalk, Doobie Doobie Blues, Borgia Stick, etc. It's hard to leave anything out, because even with his pop stuff, there are powerful lessons on spinning out a great story on a one chord vamp. I could never criticize the man or anything he's recorded, it's always hip, never corny.

Try transcribing that tap dancing video that's come out lately… he just grooves so hard, lots of useful things to cop there.

User Info Menu

Anyone post this, yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I could never criticize the man or anything he's recorded, it's always hip, never corny.
    I fully agree.

User Info Menu

Check out this early '70s live performance. Unfortunately, it comes from a compilation of various artists and this is the only Benson track on the album:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ido-tsehori
    Hey Everyone!
    You can give a good George Benson's Jazz Bebop Album?

I love his playing and style like in this video:

Thank You!
    Favorite early George Benson?
    This might be helpful
    I like the double CD live recording and it's a bootleg that appears on many small labels. Some nice playing.
    David

User Info Menu

Get the old CTI stuff White Rabbit, Bad Benson, and others. He also played a lot on other CTI and Kudo artists records during that time.

User Info Menu

Here's some late '60s funky jazz, "Doin' the Thing"

destinytot Guest
    From the Dexter Gordon album ​GOTHAM CITY:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Check out this early '70s live performance. Unfortunately, it comes from a compilation of various artists and this is the only Benson track on the album:

i would like to jump up and down and shout for joy about this cut

i'm telling you this is art tatum playing the guitar

he can do anything he wants

imagine if we could have an album with bill evans

the 1966 newport clip confirms his unique musical status

i'm the most awful be-bop obsessed nut-job (i think i prefer fats navarro to clifford brown some days) - i still haven't heard anything by him - no matter how pop - y - that doesn't strike me as fab.

there's a good concert on youtube with mccoy tyner - that's straight ahead

User Info Menu

reply to self?

look i understated it before

this is the best tone i've ever heard come out of a guitar - the lushness and clarity and freshness is astounding

its so easy to hear absolutely everything he's doing

this is a tune that risks sugariness at every turn - but his performance just transcends the contrast between corny and hip

the presentation of the melody is so generous and direct and clear - and yet it could hardly be more rhythmically and harmonically sophisticated

i can imagine no improvement at any moment (there are three repeated low notes towards the end of the main passage that are astounding)

no-one has the sensory physical control of the instrument that he has - the TOUCH (in spanish you don't say 'playing' the guitar you say 'touching' the guitar - destinytot tells us on another thread)

its so tonally alive - ultra high bright string tones blended with full round woody tones - fabulous dynamic range

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden

I think this is a great track, even if I still can't play the main riff. Joe Sample is superb on this track.
    Guy

this is the closest thing to bebop i've heard from him. just a great flowing horn like solo.

User Info Menu

@Mark, is "Doin' the Thing" the name of that album? I can't make it out.

thanks
    edh

User Info Menu

"Hipping the Hop" is from Absolute Benson.

User Info Menu

Check It´s Uptown, The New Boss Guitar...and Beyond the Blue Horizon.

User Info Menu

Hello all, Can someone tell me what chord GB is substituting for the Bbmin7 chord? I tried a Dbmaj6 chord but it doesn't sound right.

I Would really appreciate it.

thanks
    edh
    Last edited by edh; 08-01-2014 at 10:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Do you mean the strummed chords in the very beginning?

(He's playing it a half step up)

Sounds like:
    Em7 Bm11 Em7 B7#9

Bm11:
    7 x 7 7 5 x

B7#9:
    x x 9 8 10 10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Do you mean the strummed chords in the very beginning?

(He's playing it a half step up)

Sounds like:
    Em7 Bm11 Em7 B7#9

Bm11:
    7 x 7 7 5 x

B7#9:
    x x 9 8 10 10
    Or ...

Bm11 (A/B):
    7 x 7 6 5 x

User Info Menu

Don't just look for George Benson recordings, but look for albums he collaborated on as a sideman as well and you will find a ton of "real jazz". His discography is at George Benson discography - Ask.com Encyclopedia and includes the following:

Rel. Performer Title Rec. Label Formats Notes
    1963 Brother Jack McDuff Brother Jack McDuff Live! 1963 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1963 Brother Jack McDuff Brother Jack at the Jazz Workshop Live! 1963 Prestige Records LP -
    1963 Brother Jack McDuff Prelude 1963 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1963 Red Holloway with the Brother Jack McDuff Quartet Cookin' Together 1963 Prestige Records LP -
    1964 Brother Jack McDuff The Dynamic Jack McDuff 1964 Prestige Records LP -
    1964 Joe Dukes The Soulful Drums of Joe Dukes 1964 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1964 Brother Jack McDuff The Concert McDuff 1964 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1965 Brother Jack McDuff Hot Barbeque 1965 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1965 Brother Jack McDuff Silk and Soul 1964, 1965 Prestige Records LP -
    1965 Red Holloway Red Soul 1965 Prestige Records LP -
    1966 Lonnie Smith Finger-Lickin' Good 1966, 1967 Columbia Records LP -
    1967 Lou Donaldson Alligator Bogaloo 1967 Blue Note Records LP, CD -
    1967 Brother Jack McDuff Hallelujah Time! 1963, 1964 Prestige Records LP -
    1967 Roberta Peck Extraordinary 1967 Columbia Records LP -
    1968 Hank Mobley Reach Out! 1968 Blue Note Records LP, CD -
    1968 Brother Jack McDuff The Midnight Sun 1963, 1964, 1965 Prestige Records LP -
    1968 Larry Young Heaven on Earth 1968 Blue Note Records LP, CD -
    1968 Brother Jack McDuff Soul Circle 1964 Prestige Records LP -
    1968 Lee Morgan Taru 1968 Blue Note Records LP, CD -
    1968 Lou Donaldson Midnight Creeper 1968 Blue Note Records LP, CD -
    1968 Jaki Byard Jaki Byard with Strings! 1968 Prestige Records LP, CD -
    1968 Miles Davis Miles in the Sky 1968 Columbia Records LP, CD -
    1968 Jimmy Smith The Boss 1968 Verve Records LP, CD -
    1969 Hubert Laws Crying Song 1969 CTI Records LP, CD -
    1969 Brother Jack McDuff I Got a Woman 1964, 1965 Prestige Records LP -
    1969 J. J. Johnson & Kai Winding Stonebone 1969 A&M Records (Japan) LP -
    1969 Brother Jack McDuff Steppin' Out 1964, 1965 Prestige Records LP -
    1970 Stanley Turrentine Sugar 1970 CTI Records LP, CD -
    1970 Freddie Hubbard Straight Life 1970 CTI Records LP, CD -
    1970 Willis "Gator" Jackson Mellow Blues 1970 Trip Records LP -

I am listening to Lou Donaldson's Alligator Bogaloo right now, and I'm lovin' it!

User Info Menu

@Roger & M-ster, thanks for responding. I'll try both fingerings. Just looking at it though I would say B7#9 might be it.

Thanks a bunch guys.

edh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    ... Just looking at it though I would say B7#9 might be it ...
    Roger & I are both saying that it's a 2-bar pattern that alternates:

||: E-7(9) / / A/B / | E-7(9) / / B7(#9) :||

Er ... so B7(#9) is only part of it.

User Info Menu

yes I know, have a look at the video above at 0.38 and 42 mark. That's the chord I'm looking for.

thanks guys

User Info Menu

Then yes, sounds like B7#9.

x x 9 8 10 10

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.

edh

User Info Menu

One not so known track is "Flavors" from the 1977 Afrodesia album, a collaboration between GB, Lonnie Smith, Joe Lovano and Ron Carter. In fact, this track is Impressions with another name. Smoking. The other tracks are all good too, but another Benson highlight is When the night is right. There's an earlier Lonnie Smith album "Live at Club Mozambique", a quartet with Benson on guitar that's straight ahead from start to finish. Recommended.

User Info Menu

"There's an earlier Lonnie Smith album "Live at Club Mozambique", a quartet with Benson on guitar that's straight ahead from start to finish. Recommended."

Exactly the one I was thinking of, I think I wore out my cd copy