The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 116 of 116

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for posting!
    Always great to see/hear john working his magic!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Based just upon the sound of that video, I would not pursue one of those guitars. Maybe it's YouTube, since an awful lot of guitar videos sound bad, but I suspect that recording itself does not do justice to the instrument's tone. I can't imagine that it sounds that thin and tinny in person.

I have heard quite a few videos where the sound is excellent and I suspect that the source recording gets the credit for that. Most of the SoundsPure videos, for example, have excellent sound and show the instruments off well. They are recorded professionally through good quality mics and savvy postproduction. Our own DB and Joe DeNisco get excellent sound on their videos, as well, with their direct input techniques. The Grez video sounds like it was recorded using the smartphone mic which is almost never going to be a good sound.

If they're trying to sell guitars it would be worth their while to invest a little bit in getting the best and most advantageous sound of their instruments out to their potential customers. Even having a brilliant musician playing your instrument in the video is not going to impress quite as much if the guitar just doesn't sound good.

User Info Menu

good stuff omph...i'm big fan of stowell and grez/guitars..nice too see them getting together

a small thin light lively guitar is just what stowell likes

reclaimed old growth redwood...such a nice touch...acoustically and environmentally..and classically californian!...bravo

cheers

ps- and of course vid sound could be better..but heck i watch gear vids shot at namm!!! gotta readjust your mindset...

pss- and shout out to (name dropped^) joe yanuziello as well...he and barry grez doin some great offbeat luthiery

User Info Menu

No John Stowell, but another shot at hearing the Mendocino.

The "jazz configured" Grez Mendocino. Much nicer recording than the NAMM one.

User Info Menu

that's better!!! and totally agree (yet again) with grez...rolling back the volume to get your tone is essential old school jazz maneuver...treble bleed??? haha....

some great tones to be had with tone completely rolled off and vol at 1-2 max!!

remember that great clip of barney kessel..he's talking about puttin chickenhead knobs on his gibby..so he knows exactly where he is when he's rolling 'em back!!

cheers

Did he send you the 40 page pdf? I would really love to see that!

User Info Menu

I remember reading something in Guitar Player magazine (when it was actually worth reading...those were the days...eh?) and he said he had normal sized hands but was able to make the big stretches because he used the sides of his fingers instead of just the tips. That was an eye opener since I don't have big hands.

User Info Menu

Big Mr Stowell fun here........Just had an hour long conversation with John and He allowed me to share it so I'll share it also with you....I hope you will find it as informative, insightful and inspiring as much as I did

User Info Menu

Mistery of John Stowell's right hand technique is finally revealed

User Info Menu

Now we know! Thanks to Tim and John. What are those TI strings he mentions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Now we know! Thanks to Tim and John. What are those TI strings he mentions?
    If you watch that video on YT in the comments section there is a link that Tim has posted:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/thomas...-set-2183.html

John also replied: "Thomastik KF110 Precisions, .010-.038, and the are flatwounds"

User Info Menu

Wow, flat-wound steel classical-guitar strings - no wonder I couldn't find them under the Jazz or Electric Guitar sections of the Thomastik website. Thanks for the link.

User Info Menu

Mental! I want to try these on my classical now haha

User Info Menu

I’ll be trying a couple of sets, too—on a Forster Samois, maybe on a Turner Renaissance 6 nylon.

JS testifies to using these TIs for 15 years, and clearly has no problem with them + the mag pickup on his Wright guitar (which Rossco Wright designed for steel flats/rounds; I used to jam with RW at his Eugene OR lutherie shop, and got to try his #1 prototype of what JS plays).

Fascinating how light the JS right hand touch is. Not having to drive 12-52s/larger gauges on a big archtop. As Neatomic observed, it’s matching a light and lively instrument to such a touch, and to stretchy, pianistic chord voicings.

I’d certainly be interested in hearing how other folk’s experiments with these TI strings turn out.

Saw John play circa 1973 +- in Westchester county N.Y., where he is from. He played with the same touch, guitar position etc. my friend, who he was doing a duo with in a restaurant, played more in the Pat Martino style, so it was a good contrast.
    Great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

John played at a local wine bar here in Portland a week ago Sunday (Halloween night). He sounded wonderful as usual and is the nicest guy you could ever meet. Never realized he is actually using a pick!