The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 116

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in London
    yeah, thats the point... how does he separate, if it really is a pick that he is holding... hmm.
    It is a small tear drop shaped pick. If you ask him how it stays on his finger when he opens his hand (and I have) he just sort of shrugs and says he doesn't really know. It just stays there.

Here's a video I made of him five years ago at my house in Portland playing the same song as the vid in the OP with a very different guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He uses his middle finger of the RH to play many of the melody notes on the higher strings.

He gets a good balance between the pick and m too.

Using m buys time to get the pick back down to the lower strings.

Interesting to note that it's the m finger that he uses...anyone who's played classical
    or other fingerstyle knows that the m finger gets the biggest, warmest sound due to its
    "fatness" at the tip and width of nail [if nail is used at all].

Also he used the usual hybrid thing for grabbing chords.
    Haven't seen him doing sweeps [up or down] as much before...interesting.

I'm sure John isn't consciously thinking about this stuff when he's playing.

His is certainly a singular style......for me it's quite enigmatic.....like the most ornate question mark.
    Love listening/watching him whenever I can.

Jim, thanks for your anecdote about the pick just sticking to his index finger.
    I remember when that topic was discussed a while back.
    ....For me I'd be freaked out that I'd drop the pick all the time.....John is like a guitar shaman......something else.

User Info Menu

My detailed analysis is:

"Wow."

I don't know near as much about Jazz as you guys- but the tone and the arrangement and those gorgeous but still " Blue" and so modern chord voicings underpinning the Melody ...what an Artist.

I agree about Amazing Player and beautiful piece .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 10-04-2015 at 01:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I hate technology, especially computers... my comment got erased by my space bar...

Okay... John Stowell and Sid Jacobs are the reason why I am not totally upset about moving to Cali and following my gf for work. John Stowell and Kenny Wessel are close friends, and Kenny had him over for a masterclass 4-5 years ago. Kenny invited me and his other top students (I had been studying with him for a good while) and I was so excited. But I had to finish a term paper for an English Lit class... Ugh . Next time, I hope there is a next time.

Sid has a heart of gold, as we've discussed here previously. He gave me his Monk transcriptions free of charge

They are both down to earth and extremely committed to the craft.

"this stretch might seem large, but I have small fingers. I angle my guitar so I can grab these voicings"

says Stowell

But just as exciting,

ROB IS BACK

Now I have another person to geek out about old guitar literature and classical rep. I listen to David Russell, John Williams, and then your stuff on youtube when I am studying tone production for my own playing. Love your SoundCloud, Rob! Especially the classical and banjo compositions
    Last edited by Irez87; 10-04-2015 at 07:26 AM.

User Info Menu

he's amazing, he plays the notes that count.

User Info Menu

I reckon he's a member of the magic circle (looks like a coin-palming trick to me). Pretty impressive, however he's doing it.

User Info Menu

Great-sounding Soloway!

User Info Menu

Listen to John Stowell play this Jobim chart on the L-5...pretty breathtaking.

User Info Menu

I could listen to John every day. Such an expressive musician, with ear-tingling harmonies, twists and turns, and not a cliche within a country mile. Nice to see him play a beautiful L5 for a change!

User Info Menu

For acoustic stuff, I like your playing better Rob, he hits several chords not cleanly. I give him the benefit of the doubt though: a- he might be playing amplified most of the time, b-he might be playing this tune without having practiced much since it is a guitar demo not a concert performance, c-my playing sucks compared to his (for those who will ask me to post my own playing before I criticize a professional musician).

The greatest value of his technique for me here is his posture. He is very relaxed, both hands can float without much twisting and it allows for larger hand stretches (although he doesn't need it). Being able to relax like that ought to improve creativity and perception. I wish I could close my eyes for most of my playing too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

LOL. He's on a different planet from me, but I thank you for your nice comment. But really, we are worlds apart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    LOL. He's on a different planet from me, but I thank you for your nice comment. But really, we are worlds apart.
    I was referring more to clean tone Rob, this one (which you also posted before) shows what I meant (cleaner note producation), I do believe he is more comfortable with electric playing as opposed to acoustic:

User Info Menu

That's more like it.

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, but I believe that is _his_ guitar. It's a '71 ES-175. Notice the Lindy Fralin pickup in the neck position. Those are excellent pickups. Sounds great on that guitar. Stowell seems very, very comfortable on it, too.

User Info Menu

Jim's #7 post above also shows that (longer scale length and still chord melody style) he produces cleaner notes with electric playing.

User Info Menu

Hmm? I think most people do. Acoustic playing takes lots of practice and discipline to achieve, say, a flatpicker's clarity. I live in the heart of bluegrass music country. Those guys are wizards. One of my former students is the winningest flatpicker in history. He is downright scary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Hmm? I think most people do. Acoustic playing takes lots of practice and discipline to achieve, say, a flatpicker's clarity. I live in the heart of bluegrass music country. Those guys are wizards. One of my former students is the winningest flatpicker in history. He is downright scary.
    Yes, clarity is the word I should have used. On another note, although he uses round wounds, John Stowell does a pretty good job of minimizing slide squeak noise (which is much more annoying when amplified than acoustically).

User Info Menu

Pure legerdemain. I don't know how Mr. Stowell does it. At times, it looks as if the pick is stuck to his index finger. Other times, he seems to drop the pick into the crook of his other fingers. With a little flick it is back between thumb and index finger. He never misses.

It looks like a half pick too, like what Joe Pass used.

I wish I could play like that.

User Info Menu

I've heard John play on a lot of different guitars (including a bunch that we built). I never would have thought of him playing a Tele but I really think this guitar works surprisingly well for him and fits his tonal vision very well.

User Info Menu

Always amazed at John's immense talent! Trying to put a home concert together for him at the end of June in Spokane, since he will be passing through, will be good to hear him live, again. What a genius that guy is!

User Info Menu

actually the tele lends itself to johns "guitar posture" very well...he'd probably benefit from a different neck pup (with a little more low end), but overall....super nice!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    actually the tele lends itself to johns "guitar posture" very well...he'd probably benefit from a different neck pup (with a little more low end), but overall....super nice!

cheers
    You may like the sound of this one a bit better (although the Tele clearly fits his position better).

User Info Menu

yes nice.. more traditional warm jazz tone...lovely..are those the lollar firebird pups on there?

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yes nice.. more traditional warm jazz tone...lovely..are those the lollar firebird pups on there?

cheers
    My memory is a little vague by now. They might have been Lollars (I used some of their mini's, both the Firebird and traditional values) but I also used DiMarzios with a custom mini in the neck that they never released. In either case, it was a nice guitar. It was either the first or second of the 15" bodies that we ever built. That was a really cool body design though.

User Info Menu

Interesting, never seen him play before. I'm going to be unpopular but I don't get it. To me it seems a very awkward posture. Good instrument positioning skips the acute angles to maximize blood flow and minimize tendon strain. It looks like he stepped in a puddle and pulled out his foot while trying to catch the groceries that went flying but he makes it work for. him. Did he develop this position for a visual effect or was there a practical reason? Just trying to understand.