The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Great playing!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice. PB is currently my favorite guitarist. I've been listening to him alot.

User Info Menu

Jesse van Ruller is a great guitarist.
    I like his fat sound on Elferink guitar and his playing is fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Jesse van Ruller is a great guitarist.
    I like his fat sound on Elferink guitar and his playing is fantastic.
    Been a while since he's released a trio or quartet recording as a leader (not counting Chamber Tones -- no drums). JVR and PB are about as good as it gets, for my tastes...

User Info Menu

Jesus, I've always wanted to see something like this. I love the two players separately and I've always thought how similar their styles are and how well they'd complement each other. This is great!

User Info Menu

I've just started to transcribe Jesse's solo today...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cpike
    Been a while since he's released a trio or quartet recording as a leader (not counting Chamber Tones -- no drums). JVR and PB are about as good as it gets, for my tastes...
    It's not under Jesse's name, but he's on this recent organ trio disc: Florian Ross Elektrio | Wheels & Wires | CD Baby
    He uses some effects and sounds a bit like Scofield here.

User Info Menu

Does anyone own the Chambertones records? The vids of the group on youtube are cool so wondering about the recordings.

Apparently there are two releases now but I only see one available through Jesse's site and at kind of a steep price.

User Info Menu

I contacted Jesse and he said the newest Chambertones recording, 'The Ninth Planet', will be released in digital format sometime in May.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    It's not under Jesse's name, but he's on this recent organ trio disc: Florian Ross Elektrio | Wheels & Wires | CD Baby
    He uses some effects and sounds a bit like Scofield here.
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

I've just transcribed 1 chorus few minutes ago...:-)
    The all solo is great.

User Info Menu

Jesse Van Ruller is new to me. I like his style very much.

User Info Menu

+1 !

User Info Menu

Jesse van Ruller is a powerfull guitarist.He play Elferink arch-top,Gibson es-335,Tele and nylon strings guitar.I like his sound on Elferink very nuch.
    All his Cd's are great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Nice. Thanks for the heads up.
    Man I've got this album on repeat all weekend. Great tunes, great playing and beautifully recorded.
    Second track is called "Okay". Such a cool groove and just makes you feel.....good.
    Playful and fun.
    Money well spent.

I'm sure Jesse is using his Gibson 150 on this one. I saw a recent picture of him with it and he's changed the pickups out for a set that seems to be the same as what's in his Elfrink.

Nice 1969 Gibson 150 on Ebay at the moment.
    VINTAGE 1969 GIBSON ES-150 DC NATURAL 2 PICKUP STUNNING CONDITION! grlc733 | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Man I've got this album on repeat all weekend. Great tunes, great playing and beautifully recorded.
    Second track is called "Okay". Such a cool groove and just makes you feel.....good.
    Playful and fun.
    Money well spent.

I'm sure Jesse is using his Gibson 150 on this one. I saw a recent picture of him with it and he's changed the pickups out for a set that seems to be the same as what's in his Elfrink.

Nice 1969 Gibson 150 on Ebay at the moment.
    VINTAGE 1969 GIBSON ES-150 DC NATURAL 2 PICKUP STUNNING CONDITION! grlc733 | eBay
    Diggin' this record as well!

Do you know if any 150's were made without the awful 1 9/16" nut? I've played several now and absolutely love the tone and upper fret access but the thin neck carve and that horrible nut width are just deal breakers for me.

I'm thinking of having Victor Baker build me something similar but with a slightly thinner body (2 1/2 inches possibly) if I can get the funds together. The 150's sound so cool though, not sure I'd get the results I'm hoping for.

User Info Menu

Diggin' this record as well!

Do you know if any 150's were made without the awful 1 9/16" nut? I've played several now and absolutely love the tone and upper fret access but the thin neck carve and that horrible nut width are just deal breakers for me.

I'm thinking of having Victor Baker build me something similar but with a slightly thinner body (2 1/2 inches possibly) if I can get the funds together. The 150's sound so cool though, not sure I'd get the results I'm hoping for.
    Actually I've never played one......in fact I didn't know they existed until I saw Jesse playing one.
    So JP what's the nut width of a 335? I certainly find those quite comfortable.

That's a great disappointment to hear about the nut width. But you've saved me from making a mistake and buying one without first playing it.

I've seen them sell for as low as $2000.
    Surely a perfect gigging jazz guitar.
    Now I have to take them off my wish list

User Info Menu

Actually JP I just looked at that blonde 150 again and in the blurb it states that the nut is 1 11/16.

Strange.

Gibson ES-150 Dual Pickup (1969)

Features:

Body
    Arched Maple Top
    Curly Maple back and rims

Neck
    Mahogany neck
    Rosewood fingerboard (block inlay)

Finish
    Natural Blonde finish

Scale Length
    24.75"

Nut width
    1+11/16"

Pickups
    Original Gibson Patent Pickups

Tuners
    Original Gibson Tuners

Case
    Original Gibson hard-case

User Info Menu

Actually JP I just looked at that blonde 150 again and in the blurb it states that the nut is 1 11/16.
    Would you mind contacting the seller and having them confirm the nut width? I went on a serious hunt for one of these about six months ago and was told repeatedly by vintage dealer after vintage dealer that Gibson never made these guitars with the 1 11/16" nut width.

That would be great if that information turns out to be false!

User Info Menu

Actually I've never played one......in fact I didn't know they existed until I saw Jesse playing one.
    So JP what's the nut width of a 335? I certainly find those quite comfortable.

That's a great disappointment to hear about the nut width. But you've saved me from making a mistake and buying one without first playing it.

I've seen them sell for as low as $2000.
    Surely a perfect gigging jazz guitar.
    Now I have to take them off my wish list
    335's from that era can be found with the slim nut width as well (I believe the Larry Carlton 335 has it too as he actually likes it). Fortunately there are plenty of 335's with the 1 11/16" nut width.

You should play one first though. You may actually like the 1 9/16" nut width as it's a subjective preference.

User Info Menu

Would you mind contacting the seller and having them confirm the nut width? I went on a serious hunt for one of these about six months ago and was told repeatedly by vintage dealer after vintage dealer that Gibson never made these guitars with the 1 11/16" nut width.

That would be great if that information turns out to be false!
    No problem. I am waiting for the reply.

User Info Menu

No problem. I am waiting for the reply.
    Thanks! Just a heads up on those blonde ones, I believe there were less than 100 made which is why they usually go for about $800-$1K more than the other models. Considering the lack of popularity with this model, not sure it's worth the investment but you never know. Good lookin' guitar though!

User Info Menu

Ok the seller of that blonde 150 just got back to me and as you thought the nut is actually 1 9/16"
    He apologised for the error.

User Info Menu

Ok the seller of that blonde 150 just got back to me and as you thought the nut is actually 1 9/16"
    He apologised for the error.
    Yeah, that's a drag. Not one of Gibson's wiser decisions imo but guess that was the trend at the time. Thanks for checking!