The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

That is really, really lovely playing. Me, I'm lucky because Marty lives in Philadelphia so I get to see him play whenever I can. You might enjoy this one from May, 2013. (Hoping it posts correctly) -

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Yes, this is truly wonderful. And the video is courtesy of Michael Steinman, of the Jazz Lives blog, from whose noble work I've learned more about life, love and beauty to inspire more than one lifetime of playing this music.

I started by imitating recordings of Marty singing and playing, then I changed the keys to suit my voice, and now I imagine how Marty would approach songs I haven't heard him sing and play.

In fact, I've written, recorded and released a story and some songs in Marty's rhythm style. In our conformist age, where style is elevated over content and counter-culture soon becomes commodified, I see it as both Underground and rooted deeply in a tradition of Spoken Word & Jazz. So far, it's on CD with a dual-language book (I live in Spain), but a digital release in in the works. You can check it out here: Ludwig Manhattan - Home It's a metaphoric exploration of the condition of being able to blend in and adapt - usually seen as a positive trait, but a situation which can conceal the fact of not otherwise having the freedom to even exist.

What inspires me about the way Marty Grosz - and a few choice others - play(s) is the idea of Beauty wrought from suffering. To call them 'genius' is probably a disservice. For me, while they're certainly 'great', they're also 'good' - because they are courageous. (Not to mention kind, witty, charming - and usually modest, too.)

That's my True North... that's freedom... to be able to think, for example, "Marvin Gaye singing 'Fats' Waller" - and run with the idea... regardless of style.

I have some free time over the summer, so I'm doing some arranging. Things work slowly over here, but I'll post the outcome.

And if anyone wants tips on learn this style, PM me with a question and I'll share what I know (which may not be a lot, but is enough to hold and carry a tune in fast company).

destinytot Guest
    Some chord shapes for getting started. The tuning - low to high - is Bb F C G B D.

When I asked a fellow strummer - whom I knew to have spent time jamming with Marty Grosz himself - about Marty's tuning and technique, I was told, "You and I have been playing for too long to learn to play that way now."

A decade later, I set out to learn to play that way - partly out of defiance of having been told what is (or isn't) within my capabilities. This was how I began:
    Marty Grosz-marty-1-3-jpgMarty Grosz-marty-2-3-jpgMarty Grosz-marty-3-3-jpg
    Last edited by destinytot; 04-07-2015 at 06:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi: reviving an old thread here(being a big fan of MG's playing), with a couple of questions. One, the above discussion refers, I think, to an alternate tuning, used by MG: am I reading that right and if so, what is the tuning he uses? Also, which of Marty's many albums are solo or duets, where his guitar is prominent?

User Info Menu

Turned 90 on Feb 28. His autobiography, It’s a Sin to Tell a Lie, will be published this week.

User Info Menu

There is a 90th birthday bash for Marty this Wednesday at World Cafe Live in Philly. Afterwards I may try to make to Abington to see Jimmy Bruno at Vintage. Sometimes stuff aligns.

joelf Guest
    Yeah!

User Info Menu

I’d say probably “Thanks” has a few that feature his playing, but I just absolutely love “Chasing the Spots” and “The Classic Sessions”.

User Info Menu

he's a treasure, caught him several times over the years, really the greatest living exponent of the Carl Kress/Dick McDonough/Van Eps school, and probably the greatest since those cats as well...
    I saw him @ a guitar show once walking around w/an old guitar case.
    I asked him what was in it and he said "air'' [it was empty!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by daverepair
    Hi: reviving an old thread here(being a big fan of MG's playing), with a couple of questions. One, the above discussion refers, I think, to an alternate tuning, used by MG: am I reading that right and if so, what is the tuning he uses? Also, which of Marty's many albums are solo or duets, where his guitar is prominent?
    The tuning - low to high - is Bb F C G B D.