The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Never heard of him before and he'a a Cunuck and has won the National Jazz award for Best Jazz Guitarist in Canada! Again! I should pay more attention.

http://www.regschwager.com - Jazz Guitarist website

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reg is a freaking great player, i've gotten to hear him play a lot as he comes through here probably every year or every other year on some sort of Grant funded tour.

Reg is actually I believe Dutch (I cannot remember, I'm pretty sure he's of European birth) but yeah he's been in Toronto for a long time playing with the heavyweights... he's really something else and a nice guy to boot.

Last time I saw him he was playing in a group that was mostly playing in odd time signatures like 11/8 and whatnot which I thought was very interesting as I hadn't taken him for that sort of player, but he killed it.

Some really great players in Toronto, Reg is one of the top guys for sure. I was thinking about spending June in Toronto just to get to go and hang out with guys like him and Lorne Lofksy, Ted Quinland... and play but I decided to save my bread ha.
    Last edited by Jake Hanlon; 03-29-2012 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

The Live at Mezzetta album is one of my favourites - great version of Willow Weep for Me.

Reg Schwager - Live at Mezzetta CD Album

User Info Menu

Amazon.com: Like Fine Wine: George Shearing: Music

(ignore the naysayer--i've had this disc for several years, excellent sound)

User Info Menu

I saw Reg Schwager playing in the Diana Panton Quartet recently, along with Don Thompson and Guido Basso. That was a fantastic show, and they are all great musicians. Whether he was comping or taking a solo, it always seemed that Reg was playing exactly what was needed, and playing it very beautifully. The interplay between Reg and Guido was priceless. I can't say enough good things about the concert, easily among my all time favourites!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzReggie
    I saw Reg Schwager playing in the Diana Panton Quartet recently, along with Don Thompson and Guido Basso. That was a fantastic show, and they are all great musicians. Whether he was comping or taking a solo, it always seemed that Reg was playing exactly what was needed, and playing it very beautifully. The interplay between Reg and Guido was priceless. I can't say enough good things about the concert, easily among my all time favourites!
    I caught one of the shows on the same tour. I was already a big fan of his playing based on Diana's CDs. He plays really interesting lines and is a great bossa player too. All Diana Panton's CDs are a treat. Buy them direct from her website rather than through the big companies!

By the way, in our town, Reg did the entire gig with a ZT Lunchbox...(mic'd, but still)

And also, regarding Guido Basso, what struck me about his playing was how the first phrase of all his solos were just PERFECT. He'd just absolutely nail the mood of the tune with a beautiful initial phrase. A valuable lesson for me.

User Info Menu

Wow, this guy can seriously play! Very nice tone as well, that's the kind of tone I'm looking for in my own sound.

Thanks for pointing him out - now I have yet another player to follow.

User Info Menu

Great phrasing.

User Info Menu

I saw him a number of years ago playing for Diana Krall. Fine player.

User Info Menu

Reg also recorded with the Boss Brass when Bickert was indisposed, and took over the chair after Ed retired.

He also recorded quite a bit with Dave McMurdo's Jazz Orchestra.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I just heard him on Toronto Jazz.FM91 on Al Muirhead's recording of "Tenderly." Awesome player.

Tenderly | Al Muirhead

User Info Menu

reg used to post a lot of rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz. he's always been a fantastic player and, as I recall, has an extremely wide musical palette, having a strong interest in avant garde, and has played with Misha Mengelberg and Han Bennik, in addition to being a great straight ahead player.