The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

I'm really getting in to Mr. Martino these days. Where is the best place to start? What is your favorite Pat Martino album? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Man, there are so many good ones! 'El Hombre', 'Remember', 'Footprints', 'Strings', 'We'll Be Together Again' and 'Live at Yoshis' all spring to mind off the top of my head.

Pat's tone isn't always my favorite by I always dig his playing. 'El Hombre' is definitely one of my overall favs.

User Info Menu

My personal fave and the one I heard first is "We'll Be Together Again." Still one of my favorite albums of all time--although it probably isn't the most representative of Martino's oeuvre.

The "greatest hits" CD called "Cream" is a great overview.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    My personal fave and the one I heard first is "We'll Be Together Again." Still one of my favorite albums of all time--although it probably isn't the most representative of Martino's oeuvre.

The "greatest hits" CD called "Cream" is a great overview.

My friend, Pat's CDs/albums can be very different from one another. The tone can go from slightly distorted to clean. I guess it is an example of how musicians go through changes in taste and maybe even get tired of playing the same type of music.

But to answer your question, my favorite album is "East!," and it is one of my favorite Jazz guitar albums of all time. I loved how strongly he played the notes and how great his guitar stood out in the mix. It is classified as Hard Bop.

I suggest you go to Amazon or Napster and listen to a sampling of Pat's albums. You may find, like me, there are some you just aren't very enthusiastic about, while other are sheer joy.

Pat is probably my Jazz guitarist I listen to the most. The album "Cream" is right there with East!, and has many more songs. I would probably buy the Cream album first because it is kind of a "Best of" album.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by AlsoRan; 02-29-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: changed Post to Hard

User Info Menu

Will, if you're starting with Pat, definitely check out his early stuff.

My favorite album from the 70's is "Exit" -- great playing, cool tunes!

Marc

User Info Menu

Interchange. Don't know why this gem is so overlooked. Check it out... I used to have it combined with another of his Muse releases as a 2-fer. I lost it and now have to track it down again via eBay or wherever...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    Interchange. Don't know why this gem is so overlooked. Check it out... I used to have it combined with another of his Muse releases as a 2-fer. I lost it and now have to track it down again via eBay or wherever...
    I listened to a sample of interchange on Amazon. I loved it. It is on order. Whatwisdom, you are going to get me in trouble with the Missus when the box arrives!.

User Info Menu

The 2 solos that Pat is quite well known for are "Sunny" from "Live" and "Along Came Betty" from "Consciousness".You could pretty much just study both those and get a good picture of what scales to use and where.

"Why" he uses those scales is a whole other thing but here is an analysis

Pat Martino "Along Came Betty" Solo Transcription and Analysis by Steve Khan

there is also a transcription there.

A couple of years work right there.
    That solo was his Gibson L5. IMHO the best sound he ever had....at least my fave.

The solo on "Sunny" was recorded after 6 gigs and with some cocaine in the mix.
    (If I've remembered the facts from his book correctly)
    So.........good luck with that one.

User Info Menu

Will, also, if you want to study Pat's early stuff, Steve Khan has a whole book of transcriptions (not just the web site that Philco pointed out) -- highly recommended!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Will, also, if you want to study Pat's early stuff, Steve Khan has a whole book of transcriptions (not just the web site that Philco pointed out) -- highly recommended!
    Great Book!

Wolf Marshall did a Transcription of Impressions for Guitar Extra Magazine. And an excellent job he did too.

For me the only drawback about spending too much time on Pat's transcriptions is that you start to cop his licks.

Of his early stuff the top 3 for me are Consciousness, Joyous Lake and Live. I have most of his stuff including some of his first CD's that he did after his surgeries.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I listened to a sample of interchange on Amazon. I loved it. It is on order. Whatwisdom, you are going to get me in trouble with the Missus when the box arrives!.
    Keep the box. Get rid of the Missus...

User Info Menu

Live at Yoshis with Joey Defrancesco is probably my favorite. Followed by East.

But I also like Consciousness, Live!, Interchange, and Thinktank.

I guess he's been one of my favs for a while.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 02-29-2012 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Love all of Pat's stuff. The recent live-at-Blues Alley CD (Undeniable) is good, too. Pat's still doin' it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    Love all of Pat's stuff. The recent live-at-Blues Alley CD (Undeniable) is good, too. Pat's still doin' it!
    I agree! I am finally getting to see him live for the first time next month. I can't wait!

User Info Menu

Looks like some of his earlier stuff has been repackaged/renamed and is available via Amazon digital downloads.

Amazon.com: Mission Accomplished: Pat Martino: MP3 Downloads

Great thread btw. I just picked this one up as well as 'Exit'. So much great music out there and not enough time to absorb it all!

User Info Menu

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves "Joyous Lake".

It is a "fusion" album of sorts so perhaps not a purists cup of tea.
    What sets that album apart for me is the writing. Such hooky melodies and angular chord changes. With flowing bop lines over them.

That album gave me a glimpse of how swinging bop lines could work with a contemporary rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Joyous Lake was also a great band, I saw them at Berklee Performance Center. Really excellent, with Pat smoking up and down his L5S, going through a rack rig that had great sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Joyous Lake was also a great band, I saw them at Berklee Performance Center. Really excellent, with Pat smoking up and down his L5S, going through a rack rig that had great sounds.
    Saw them on TV some years ago. Some cable channel, maybe BET? Absolutely killer playing from PM. They were promoting "Stone Blue" which I promptly bought...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who loves "Joyous Lake".

It is a "fusion" album of sorts so perhaps not a purists cup of tea.
    What sets that album apart for me is the writing. Such hooky melodies and angular chord changes. With flowing bop lines over them.

That album gave me a glimpse of how swinging bop lines could work with a contemporary rhythm section.
    "Line Games" just smokes and Kenwood Dennard is a monster drummer. Pat had a transcription of the head for this tune on his site for download a few years ago. I don't know if he still does.

User Info Menu

I love "Footprints", "We'll Be Together Again" and both Joyous Lakes albums - Pat never really came back to his "original form" after his recovery. But he still is great.

User Info Menu

we'll be together again really changed my playing on ballads a great deal, a masterful album.

And if none of you have listened to "Undeniable" his newest album... ooooooh man

smoking, that's an amazing album.

User Info Menu

The one I've listened the most to is El Hombre. I think that is really great, I have other ones but to me he often overplays on those.

Jens

User Info Menu

El Hombre is the one for me though everything Pat does is super bad, it is hard to pick just one...

User Info Menu

I got the CD. It's great but have you any idea the amp and guitar combination he used?

User Info Menu

Start the first, 'El Hombre', and the last, 'Undeniable'. Both are excellent recordings. Eventually, you'll want everything inbetween. 'Exit' is a good mid point.