The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

My first and favorite from Pat was "Footprints" - it was my introduction to jazz guitar, and it continues to be an all-time classic for me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just listened to "Live at Yoshi's" It is definitely worth listening to. I am partial to a quartet with a B3 also. Any other of his records similar?

User Info Menu

El Hombre is my favorite by far. In my mind, it's the definitive Pat Martino album, and its just one of the grooviest albums you'll ever hear. It's the kind of thing you might play for someone who doesn't listen to jazz, and you'll be confident they'll enjoy it. Yes, you can dig deeper into his catalog and there's other great stuff he's done, but nothing tops El Hombre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1950
    I just listened to "Live at Yoshi's" It is definitely worth listening to. I am partial to a quartet with a B3 also. Any other of his records similar?
    Check out his latest live album called Undeniable. It's b3, sax, drums, guitar. For something much older I like the album he did with Groove Holmes called Blue Groove.

User Info Menu

Also, check out his work as a sideman, with Willis Jackson and Don Patterson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sburn2448
    Also, check out his work as a sideman, with Willis Jackson and Don Patterson.
    Ha! This post from 10 years ago is from a guy who made this as his first and only post! And is probably better advice than anything I've ever offered in 13 years of being here! Indeed, he is right, his work as a sideman, with Willis Jackson and Don Patterson, is I think some of his best ever playing. This means it's some of the best Jazz guitar playing from anyone you will hear anywhere from any time.

If you like his early stuff (tone, attack, lines, groove etc), then you simply need to hear these cuts.

User Info Menu

I started with ' East' after someone recommended PM....Still have the lp.

I may have missed it, but did no one in this thread mention 'Desperado' ? .....Even after all these years, it includes, for me at least, as good a version of 'Oleo' as any.