The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 131

User Info Menu

Let' see how many great guitarists we can list, with at least one CD name, that aren't always metioned in this forum (like Pass, Martino, etc)

Before anybody get's the wrong idea , by lesser I mean not getting (or gotten) the press they deserved. Let's try to keep it to 5 each

Kenny Burrel - Check out Soulero or Midnight
    Grant Green - Check out 'Green street'
    Ralph Towner - Ceck out 'Solo Concert'
    Joshua Breakstone - Check out 'Let's Call this Monk"
    George Barnes - Check out his duo recording with Bucky, "Great Guitars" if you can find it, on LP. It's out of print but it's pure magic

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Romane and Stochelo Rosenberg - Double Jeu

Oscar Moore - any of the Nat King Cole Trio stuff

Oscar Aleman - Swing Guitar Masterpieces

Jim Campilongo - American Hips or Heaven Is Creepy

Ed Bickert - Pure Desmond

Bola Sete - Tour de Force

User Info Menu

This is very difficult question ... for me. My favourite list comprises some musicians who are held in high esteem as composers and arrangers (Egberto Gismonti, Ralph Towner, Anthony Wilson) while being somewhat neglected as guitarists (perhaps their technique was never really considered outside their native musical context). On the other hand, there are guitarists that I like very much (Tonihno Horta, Philip Catherine, Brandon Ross, Sam Brown, etc.), who seem to be perceived exclusively as able (virtuoso?) instrumentalists ... which is largely undeserved.

User Info Menu

The all Canadian squad

Roddy Ellias - Bone Dance
    Roy Patterson - The Arcadia Suite
    Lorne Lofsky - Bill Please
    Greg Clayton - Live at Boomers
    Bill Coon and Olivier Gannon - Too Much Guitar

MW

User Info Menu

Bojan,

Which cd would you recommend as required listening by each?

User Info Menu

I guess I am confused. Kenny Burrell and Grant Green are jazz icons imo. Lorne Lofsky and Ed Bickert are also giants in the field. Are we talking commercial success?

If you are talking about monsters who didn't get wider appeal, I would say Ted Greene, and Lenny Breau would be near the top of my list.

User Info Menu

This came about from as a result of another post about Kenny Burell. My thinking is that a lot of the younger players that frequent this site might not know about a lot of these "earlier" players.

So I figured if we could drop some names, perhaps we could teach a little history or bring some more monster players to the conciousness of the newbies.

I really don't see quite a few players mentioned that should be mentioned. I usually the same names all the time. so.....

And NO your not confused. I would also mention Ted Greene. But another guy I don't see mentioned here too often is Barry Galbraith.

I also don't see Howard Alden or Frank Vignola mentioned nor Mark Whitfield or Kevin Eubanks. I do see the ususal suspects mentioned all the time though. (Wes, Joe P, Jim H, Pat M, Pat M, Mike S, Sco etc).

Anyway , one thing I already learned is that I needed to buy some more CD's by soem of these guys mentioned above. I'm hoping to see more names dropped so I can buy more

User Info Menu

Joe Diorio
    Jimmy Wyble
    Gene Bertoncini
    Adam Rogers
    Billy Bauer
    John Pisano
    Mimi Fox
    Sheryl Bailey
    Mick Goodrick
    Jeff Parker
    Vic Juris
    Phil Upchruch
    Joe Puma
    Bill DeArango
    Chuck Wayne
    Barry Finnerty

User Info Menu

Oops; Jerry Hahn
    Emily Remler

User Info Menu

John Stowell - Scenes: Along The Way (trio recording)
    Ben Monder - Excavation
    Adam Rogers - Apparitions
    Brad Shepik - Drip
    Jacob Young - Evening Falls
    Nguyen Le - Bakida
    Ralph Towner - Solstice
    Mick Goodrick - In Pas(s)ing (good luck finding this one)
    Egberto Gismonti - Folk Songs (w/ Jan Garbarek and Charlie Haden)
    Steve Tibbetts - Safe Journey
    Jeff Parker - The Relatives

User Info Menu

y'all already picked good ones, so i'll just add on to a few names: barry galbraith may have been the most tasteful of all time, jacob young's stuff is great (love the new one, "sideways") and nobody ever talks about ray crawford, who backed up ahmad jamal and invented the percussive "guit-bongo" sound that herb ellis took and ran with.

we also tend to ignore al viola, howard roberts, joe puma, and george van eps around here. that's too bad...i'm going to start a weekly "george van eps is god" thread, i think. and i think only myself and a handful of others talk jimmy raney up enough. the freaking master!

User Info Menu

Oh, man, how could I forget Sylvain Luc?!?!?! Nobody sounds like him and he is one of the most inventive players out there imo. Check out Joko.

User Info Menu

Doug Raney (Jimmy's son) , Howard Alden (7-string master) Ron Eschete (another 7-string monster) Jimmy Wyable (very original old-timer, mostly finger style), Barry Galbraith (comping master)

User Info Menu

If you like Jimmy Wyble, check out his associate, David Oakes, a fine fine guitarist himself:
    http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/teaching.php

User Info Menu

Okay, I get it now. If you want some really great discs of players who aren't the big names, I can't recommend strongly enough duos by:

Herb Ellis & Joe Pass - Just great playing by Herb.
    George Van Eps & Howard Alden - GVE started the whole 7 string thing and was simply sublime.

Howard Roberts doesn't get enough notice imo, and probably the best all around jazz guitarist I have ever heard (if there is really such) is Jimmy Rainey. While his son Doug is a fine guitarist, he is not anywhere near his old man, but they did a couple of duo discs together. Good stuff.

Yes, Barry Gailbraith was a master, and left us a wonderful recorded legacy, but more importantly an incredible collection of chord melody arrangements.

I find John Stowell's playing to be some of the most refreshing I have heard in a long time. After listening to most of the greats, his chord melody playing takes more unexpected turns than anyone I listen to.

Jimmy Wyble is just a wonderful soul and has just some incredibly sensitive playing up on youtube. The guy I studied with this past year, Tony DeCaprio is a monster also, and has recently spent some time playing with Jimmy.

I would also include Jeff Linsky and Ken Hatfield amoung the nylon string players who are carrying on the legacy of guys like Charlie Byrd.

User Info Menu

Louis Stewart - lots of him on youtube, swingy, inventive fluent Irish guitarist.

Hank Garland - "Jazz Winds from a New Direction" - one of the finest jazz guitar albums of them all, Hank was 'the bizznizz', probably my favourite jazz guitarist.

George Barnes - youtube - look for "Barnes-Braff Quartet" - swing versions of standards with a drummerless quartet, with lots of classy interplay.

Ollie Halsall - great early jazz-rocker from the UK - recommended album "Hold Your Fire" by the band Patto - very rocky in places but with superb guitar throughout, Ollie is one of the most under-recognised guitarists, with ability that should have put him at the top of the 'fusion' stylists. Go to The Ollie Halsall Archive - Patto [albums] and click on the sound files for 'Money Bag' and 'Give it all away' to get some idea of what Ollie could do.

Atilla Zoller - some very good youtube videos of him playing with the great Jimmy Raney.

Jack Wilkins - again, some great youtube videos of him - plus he made a superb double-album with valve trombonist Bob Brookmeyer which has some great playing on it - sorry, but I can't recall what it was called!
    Last edited by reventlov; 09-19-2008 at 11:54 AM.

User Info Menu

Dear John ... naming the works is the difficult part because it will reveal that I myself am being unjustly biased ... treating some of the artists as inherently (or better suited for) frontmen or sidemen. So it goes like this:
    Ralph Towner - Diary, Sargasso Sea (w. John Abercrombie);
    Egberto Gismonti - Danca das Cabecas, Sol do Meio Dia (you know, the ubiquitous Cafe);
    Anthony Wilson - Goat Hill Junket (check out the arrangement of Here's that Rainy Day);
    Tonihno Horta - Once I Loved (w. Gary Peacock and Billy Higgins ... marvelous and very original rendition of standards);
    Philip Catherine - Live (Dance for Victor ...) and his contribution (Nairam) on Mike Gibbs' album The Only Chrome Waterfall Orchestra (vinyl only?!);
    Brandon Ross - on Henry Threadgill's Makin' a Move (I know I am sounding unjustly dismissive on his solo works but, please check out HIS music on Like It Feels or Official Silence);
    Sam Brown - on Carla Bley's Escalator over the Hill, or my favorite on Paul Motian's Conception Vessel.
    I feel bad about this list ... this attitude of mine appears to vindicate the very existence of those "lesser known" great guitarists ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Jimmy Wyable (very original old-timer, mostly finger style)

Wow! Just youtubed some Wyble and WOW!

User Info Menu

Someone made a comment earlier about "early guitarists" that made me realize that we don't talk about good old Charlie Christian much on this site. Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads. As for albums - any of his stuff with Benny Goodman is great.

I know he's not lesser known I just thought it was interesting that we don't discuss him more.

User Info Menu

Two names that I did not see here yet, but I like them:

Jimmy Ponder
    Royce Campbell

User Info Menu

Sorry for this late attempt of reviving the thread ... but I have made a sin of omission that needs to be redressed. I am referring to Bill Connors - a guitarist, a composer and an improviser who truly deserves a wider recognition ... at least on this forum. Younger members may be interested in his work with Chick Corea's Return to Forever band, as well as in his solo (third stream?) acoustic work on Theme to the Gaurdian and Swimming with the Hole in My Body. As to my knowledge, his most recent release is the Assembler from 1987.
    The previous homily may also be addressed to the early works of Terje Rypdal ...

geoff farina from the band karate (i am still sorry for the band's break up )
    david torn
    robert fripp from king crimson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    The all Canadian squad

Roddy Ellias - Bone Dance
    Roy Patterson - The Arcadia Suite
    Lorne Lofsky - Bill Please
    Greg Clayton - Live at Boomers
    Bill Coon and Olivier Gannon - Too Much Guitar

MW
    Don't forget about Jeff Langley

(for the uninitiated:

)

User Info Menu

Mundell Lowe- There are some good Youtube footage of Mundell playing years ago and more recent.

Mary Osborne - She had a really big sound playing those Gretsch guitars

Eddie Durham - played around Charlie Christian's time

Irv Ashby- Played with Nat King Cole

Oscar Moore- also played with Cole

User Info Menu

I still think Ben Monder is sadly underrated even though he's one of the busiest jazz guitarist in New York City.

Rare picture of Ben with a beard: