The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 131

User Info Menu

In the 80's fusion world, Carlos Rios played some killer s**t on the first Chick Corea Elektric Band album (Electric City, Sidewalk, and Cool Weasel Boogie (weird that the cheezy Y-tube vid shows Scott Henderson...who only played on King Cockroach, City Gate, and Silver Temple). He also tore it up on Gino Vanelli's Brother to Brother (title track and Appaloosa come to mind). He did some stuff on the Yellowjackets Samuri Samba too.
    I wish he would could back out to play (Bill Connors too).
    Last edited by jbear; 04-15-2013 at 02:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gravitas
    Don't forget about Jeff Langley

(for the uninitiated:

)
    Pork Pie Hat always gets my attention. Surprised its not played more often on guitar.
    Love what Jeff Beck did with that song.

User Info Menu

I just discovered an awesome player from my home town named Eric Johnson. Bumpin In L.A., Makin Whoopie, and Supahighway are his albums. He has been around for awhile and has played with some pretty big names. Awesome player!

Eric Johnson | Guitar and Jazz Historian

User Info Menu

I just bought a cd from this young dutch guy, daan kleijn.... (www.daankleijn.com)
    I think he lives in NYC and sounds a bit like peter bernstein, but more modern i guess....
    Definitely diggin' his trio record (entitled trio..)!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown
    Pork Pie Hat always gets my attention. Surprised its not played more often on guitar.
    Love what Jeff Beck did with that song.
    My absolute favorite version of this tune. Not sure why Jeff always sounds like he's in a hurry to finish almost every song he plays now. On this tune...he's got some tasty, guttural soul happening.

On another note...Ken Talve...if you're into Henderson, Landau, Krantz...that sorta vibe (which I am)...he's happening. Also...Gerald Gradwohl, Sarp Maden and Pete McCann.

User Info Menu

Roland Prince (played on Elvin Jones records)
    Calvin Newborn (brother of Phineas)
    Calvin Keys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Keys
    Billy Bean (already mentioned?)
    Tony Purrone
    Ted Dunbar
    Denis Budimir
    Al Gafa
    Joe Cohn
    Chuck Wayne
    Eddie Duran
    Jimmy Gourley
    Peter Sprague
    Gray Sargent
    Warren Nunes
    Last edited by fritz jones; 10-17-2013 at 11:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m78w
    The all Canadian squad

Roddy Ellias - Bone Dance
    Roy Patterson - The Arcadia Suite
    Lorne Lofsky - Bill Please
    Greg Clayton - Live at Boomers
    Bill Coon and Olivier Gannon - Too Much Guitar

MW
    Matt. You beat me to it!!

User Info Menu

I just realized... this is a "zombie thread"... but, a good one!

User Info Menu

George Golla

Jeff Linsky

User Info Menu

Sal Salvador:

If you can find his LP Juicy Lucy, it's worth it just to hear is version of "Opus de Funk."
    Brad

User Info Menu

Harry Leahey:

Joe Puma (Barry Galbraith comping):

User Info Menu

Some really good pedal steel players out there .... Jim Cohen, Susan Alcorn, Dan Jones ....

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Mundell Lowe- There are some good Youtube footage of Mundell playing years ago and more recent.
    He was pretty popular in the 70s, and Gibson even featured his picture in their catalog.
    http://vintage.catalogs.free.fr/Cata...son1960/00.htm

He's playing a L5 CES in this vid.

Mundell Lowe (Darn that Dream) very sweet ballad....sweet sounds from his elegant pick stylings.
    Last edited by Daniel Kuryliak; 10-18-2013 at 08:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Little mentioned / Unsung heroes? How's about:

*Eddie Durham

*Eddie Lang

*Charlie Christian (a key jazz innovator and unofficial 'Father of Jazz Guitar'...popular by name, but often unmentioned or credited in a manner, disproportionate to his level of talent)

*Jay Graydon

*Tommy Tedesco *!*

* Emily Remler

* Carol Kaye

* Tal Farlow

* Roy Clark

* Eddie Kirkland

* Mary Osbourne

and the list goes on....

*!* anybody that can play a pro studio gig and covertly listen to a ballgame on his transistor radio at the same time...and not miss a beat, has got my vote!

User Info Menu

Swedish guitarist Janne Schaffer - his eponymous 1973 album is jazz rock fusion in the mode of Jeff Beck around that time. Very advanced stuff. Lots of good counting and clean picking exercises in there.

He was ABBA's first call guitarist and later played in a kid's TV band dressed as a zebra.

User Info Menu

• Bill Connors
    • Wayne Krantz
    • Leni Stern
    • Sonny Sharrock
    • Doug Raney
    • Bruce Dunlap

User Info Menu

As a South Aussie, I’m a big fan of the very talented, local legend James Muller.

Everything about his playing from feel, tone and improvisation is just amazing.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily lesser known, but I did not see Larry Coryell's name anywhere in all the previous posts. I saw him play solo a few years before he died and his virtuosity was breathtaking. My first exposure to his playing was on the Gary Burton "Duster" album in the late 60s.

James (Jim) Emery is an old friend of mine who has carved his own niche and developed an inimitable style. He is a composer and arranger, as well as a monster player. He started out memorizing Bird and Monk when he was a young man, played with Eric Dolphy and Leroy Jenkins and the like in NYC in the 70s, and has since travelled to several other musical universes. He is one of the co-founders of the String Trio of New York. He has over two dozen recordings as leader or co-leader, including Transformations, Luminous Cycles, and Spectral Domains.

User Info Menu

Bucky Pizzarrelli.

User Info Menu

A zombie/zombie thread.

Vic Juris—I think he used to visit here from time to time. Great player, sadly no longer with us.

User Info Menu

Eef Aalbers
    Bret Willmott

User Info Menu

Doug MacDonald would always play Star Eyes when we saw him since he knew this was my wife's favorite standard.

Been seeing Doug play in So Cal (USA), for over 35 years.

User Info Menu

As a teenager, I used to rush home after school to catch the Popeye cartoon show coming out of Pittsburgh; not to see Popeye, but to listen to the host Joe Negri play guitar between cartoons. He's not totally unknown but really should have been better known than he is:

User Info Menu

Joe Cinderella was playing as Chris Connor's accompanist back in the 50s, and then joined Gil Mele's modernistic Quartet, and recorded on a few albums with Mele.
    After that he got into the NYC studio scene, and taught at some colleges in New Jersey. He was concerned with the guitar's inability to play pianistic voicings, so he got Sam Koontz to build him an eight-string guitar that used an Am13 tuning.
    I just saw the guitar going for 27K at some ritzy website. It was the last Koontz ever built.
    JC released an album in 2002, and then started playing piano at Atlantic City. Here are two cuts from that album. Keep in mind that this is just bass drums sax and guitar with NO OVERDUBS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Joe Cinderella was playing as Chris Connor's accompanist back in the 50s, and then joined Gil Mele's modernistic Quartet, and recorded on a few albums with Mele.
    After that he got into the NYC studio scene, and taught at some colleges in New Jersey. He was concerned with the guitar's inability to play pianistic voicings, so he got Sam Koontz to build him an eight-string guitar that used an Am13 tuning.
    I just saw the guitar going for 27K at some ritzy website. It was the last Koontz ever built.
    JC released an album in 2002, and then started playing piano at Atlantic City. Here are two cuts from that album. Keep in mind that this is just bass drums sax and guitar with NO OVERDUBS!
    that sounded like les paul on acid