The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 131

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    I like that fusion of country and jazz. I think it is pretty interesting, but needs to be experimented with more. Thankfully, Bill Frisell continues to show this kind of influence although the term now is called "Americana," whatever that means. People didn't want to call it country jazz or even hillbilly jazz sounds kind of cliche, so they just decided to call Americana. The media comes up with some strange names for things that can't really be labeled or find some category that this music fits into.

Check out these albums by Bill Frisell for some of that Americana thing:

I think you forgot the Frisell/Holland/Jones trio album, wich is to me the best record he ever made.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Oh, man, how could I forget Sylvain Luc?!?!?! Nobody sounds like him and he is one of the most inventive players out there imo. Check out Joko.
    Hmm. Listening to his stuff on Myspace...not bad! Inventive is a very good word for this guy. I like it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzophobe
    Hmm. Listening to his stuff on Myspace...not bad! Inventive is a very good word for this guy. I like it!
    He's playing a Godin "something" and I'm sure it is Roland ready. Fandanguito sound like Holdsworth...nice.

User Info Menu

Sylvain Luc is just the best european jazz guitarist. One of the few with a very own sound, atmosphere, melodic and rythmic madness, and a real artisitc approach. Look at him playing with someone. All he wants to do is share, share, share! But, he's known in Europe, trust me. Every jazz guitarist here knows about him, at least for the name.

User Info Menu

Oscar Sanders, anyone??
    Brett Allen, the one on "Spirits Gathering" by Billy Bang?
    Rudy Linka?
    Bern Nix??
    Sonny Sharrock?
    James Blood Ulmer?

All monsters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Let' see how many great guitarists we can list, with at least one CD name, that aren't always mentioned in this forum (like Pass, Martino, etc)
    I'm sorry to say that I haven't seen one of my favourites here. The one and only Chris Cain, a great blues musician who also plays jazz. Have a look here: Blues Guitarist Chris Cain, Blues Master, Blues Vocals, Blues Music and see his clips on YouTube.

/R

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Z
    I think hillbilly jazz is more Jimmie Rivers and the Cherokees or Speedy West/Jimmy Bryant. Contemporary Hillbilly swing might be "swing time" by Wayne "the train" Hancock. There were so many different sounds created when Country and Jazz crossed over in the 40s and 50s, but by the mid-60s probably because of R&R and Chet Atkins Nashville sound, country changed a bit- and the jazz was gone.

Some folks are trying to keep it alive!
    While no longer with us, Danny Gatton was a great unknown with some commercial success. Seeing him live was a very humbling experience. Nice clips of him on YouTube (YouTube - danny gatton) and his album "Relentless" with Joey DiFancesco is full of great playing.

Ted Greene - Solo Guitar
    Grant Green - Matador
    Jimmy Wyble
    Joe Puma - The Jazz Guitar of Joe Puma: Perhaps the least known of the list, but one of my favorites.
    Last edited by zonedout245; 03-27-2010 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Dick Garcia.

Like Jimmy on acid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    I still think Ben Monder is sadly underrated even though he's one of the busiest jazz guitarist in New York City.

Rare picture of Ben with a beard:
    I don't think Ben is underrated so much as not widely known. Most people who do know of his work think he is awesome.

PJ

User Info Menu

Varre Vartiainen:

User Info Menu

René Thomas
    Rune Gustafsson
    Doug Raney
    Eddie Lang

User Info Menu

I don't think I've seen Lionel Loueke listed, but I've really, really been enjoying Karibou and In a Trance. Great albums.

I will also echo Jesse van Ruller as probably my favorite of the more recent guys.

User Info Menu

hmmm...still missing bruce forman and eddie duran...

User Info Menu

Russell Malone

Roland Dyens is one of my favs. He kind of blurs the edges between Jazz and Classical, does some waltzes and stuff too. He composes and improvises, and does some standards here and there as well. He's truly an artist, I'm amazed he doesn't ever get mentioned on this forum.

User Info Menu

I didn't see Tommy Tedesco mentioned. If you watch 60's, 70's and 80's reruns you've heard alot of his playing.
    http://www.youtube.com/v/SGlee4kzjjc
    Last edited by takefive; 03-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Good gosh! I must be missing something but Danny Gatton is conspicously absent ( so is Robert Conti ) ... just finished reading a book about Gatton ( Unfinished Business by Ralph Heibutzki ) very sad story ( suicide ) with lots of speculation & theories ( my pick -- self defeating behavior ) why he never was recognized for the monster jazz player he was -- equal to any of the icons ... plus a virtuoso's mastery of rock, blues, & country / chicken picken / rockabilly, -- i wonder if we Jazz forum folks are a bit arrogant ( don't flame me ) if a player is not an exclusive jazz artist. As I guy who plays jazz along with other genres I believe knowing other idioms "informs" playing in the others... Even if we look narrowly at Gatton's jazz artistry the fellow is a monster player that could hang with bebop icons all day long ... and exceed those with speed and taste to spare ....hence the tag, "the humbler " ... jazz , per the book, may have been his favorite style ...check out his CD "unfinished Business " and dig his rendition of Cherokee and Homage to Charlie Christian. As a guitarist I admit to being excessively guitar-centric ...listening mostly to other guitarists while guys like Gatton and Conti focused on horn players and pianists. Guitarists have certainly made a contribution to the evolution of Jazz...but arguably the BEST examples of modern jazz / bebop are guys like Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Lester Young, Charlie Mingus, Art Tatum, Bud Powell, Monk, Stan Getz, and many more. Perhaps the best thing a guitarist might do to elevate their playing is to listen to these guys and learn a bit of rockabilly chicken picking for right hand technique .. and transportation and infusion of that vocabulary and technique to the jazz idiom. Ok, let the debate or conversation begin,

Cheers, Peter

User Info Menu

I have most of his CD's. Danny even had a few major label records like 88 Elmira. He is well known by most guitarists. I think most of us don't consider him to be lesser known

User Info Menu

Attila Zoller
    George Barnes
    Dean Parks (not a jazzer per se, but a prolific LA Studio guy)
    Julian Lage (he has gotten some recognition, but I think there are still many who don't know he exists)
    Gustavo Brasil
    And ...
    Tom Karol (Oh wait, you said 'great' - Never mind!)
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 12-22-2010 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello JohnW400,

Thanks for your comments, perhaps you are right in stating he is well known by guitarists,

Cheers and happy holidays, Peter

User Info Menu

Hello Peter. Happy Holidays to you to.

Danny's CD with Joey D is great. He also did one called New York Stories. That one I don't have. It's all jazz tunes if I remember.

(Don't forget he got a lot of coverage in GP magazine)

User Info Menu

Several years ago, before his Electra record contract, Guitar Player magazine placed Danny Gatton on the cover wearing a "phantom of the opera" mask naming him the greatest guitar player you never heard of. The article had great bio information, as well as gear information. He always played Telecasters and was (at the time, I think always after) using Joe Barden pickups which seemed like a boutique pickup at the time.

Anyway, I always thought the guitar player article at least got him to "known by guitarists". Live music lovers in the DC area knew of him - he was well traveled through the local music scene at places like the Birchmere, Zoo Bar, etc., and other local band places (Joe Barden is local to DC also). I was lucky enough to see him three times, and it was always funny to see the stage 2 or 3 deep with guitar players picking their jaws up after each song. You could stare at him all night and watch what he was doing and know you couldn't get there no matter how much you shredded. And, he effortlessly shifted between rock and roll, rockabilly, jazz, etc., sometimes all in the same song.

I'd place Danny in the "lesser known" list if we're going to list people like Tedesco, but concede a lot of guitar players know who he is. YouTube has a few nice videos if you search for him. A real shame he's not around - he was a great, great player.

User Info Menu

When I was a kid in Buffalo in the 60s there was a group called " The Rising Sons " later called " Raven".

They were the earliest "fusion " band with the most amazing rhythm section- you can Google them and their old manager has recordings of them, they did an album on Columbia and were house band at the great "Inferno" in Buffalo and later "The Scene " Club in NYC where Hendrix, Clapton , Beck used to jam.

Group was Blues/Rock/Jazz and guitarist J.R. Weitz played kind of like a cross between Clapton and Kenny Burrell, but even before Clapton emerged.

The group had more " Blues" in their jazz than any I've heard and singer Tony Galla had a full 3 Octave range.

The whole group was ahead of their time- J.R. Weitz would solo sometimes more like a jazzer but using modes etc. and octaves but would also do screaming wide vibrato stuff , with slaving amps together to get his sound at reasonable volume, and he did a little feedback stuff sometimes- but this was in 1966 and I think he was doing it before then also!

He also had this sliding , behind the beat rhythm style that fit perfect with their ultra funky rhythm section and the piano player, drummer and bassist were all killer.

I remember being shocked when they did a spot on perfect version of "Sunshine of Your Love" only a few weeks after it was released and J.R. nailed every spec of the solo and vibrato and tone of the solo perfectly- it was easy for him and back then very few in the world had the Clapton Vibrato but J.R. had been playing that way already in addition to Wes and Burrell ( and who knows ) inspired stuff.

They were the elite of Buffalo and even NYC in some ways- check out "Raven" ridiculous players, soloists and Rhythm Section in 1965 and 1966 , and continued to evolve in NYC for the next few years.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 12-23-2010 at 02:39 AM.

User Info Menu

http://www.markwhitfield.com/

"Mark Whitfield"

Mark Whitfield graduated from Boston's prestigious Berklee College of Music, the world's foremost institute for the study of Jazz and modern American music, in the Spring of 1987 having studied composition and arranging as well as all styles of guitar performance. Upon graduation, he returned to his native New York to embark on a career as a jazz guitarist that afforded him the opportunity to collaborate with many legendary artists including Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey, Clark Terry, Jimmy Smith, Carmen McCrae, Herbie Hancock, Quincy Jones, Jack McDuff, Betty Carter, Shirley Horn, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, Burt Bacharach, Joe Williams, Wynton Marsalis, Bradford Marsalis, Stanley Turrentine and his greatest teacher and mentor George Benson.
    Along the way, the New York Times dubbed Whitfield "The Best Young Guitarist in the Business" and in September of 1990 Warner Bros. released his solo debut, "The Marksman". The success of this release has led to a recording career that has produced 14 solo projects to date and a myriad of collaborative efforts with some of the most important artists in recent years; Sting, D'Angelo, Mary J. Blige, Chaka Khan, John Mayer, Jill Scott, Roy Hargrove, Diana Krall, Lauryn Hill, Sy Smith and Chris Botti.
    In September of 2005, Mark Whitfield accepted the invitation to join the faculty at his alma mater, teaming up with Joe Lovano, Ralph Peterson, Danilo Perez, and Terry Lynn Carrington as "Artists in Residence" at the Berklee School.
    While maintaining a teaching schedule that requires his presence on campus 1 day a week for 14 weeks/per semester, and a touring schedule that includes at least 100 concert dates/per year with trumpeter Chris Botti, Whitfield still manages to remain active as a solo artist and 2008-2009 will see the release of his latest solo effort; a Stevie Wonder tribute entitled "Songs Of Wonder" and 2 collaborative projects with long time friends Christian McBride and Nicholas Payton.