The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

anybody reccomend some good "off the beaten path" jazz duo records? guitar need not be involved...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You are probably aware of this one with Pat Metheny and Jim Hall.

Just in case, here's the link: Amazon.com: Jim Hall & Pat Metheny: Music: Jim Hall & Pat Metheny

You really get your money's worth on this one.

User Info Menu

Here are 2 duos I like, not of the beaten path though:

Jim Hall & Pat Metheny
    Pat Metheny & Charlie Haden - Beyond The Missouri Sky

- Dirk

User Info Menu

I dont know too many, but I do have Honeysuckle Rose played by Joe Pass and Herb Ellis. I like their version alot.

Are you looking only for duos or can there be more than 2 people?

User Info Menu

these are all great choices...actually, here's a few more i really like to give you an idea of what i'm looking for more of. i love the duo format because it's so intimate...seems like guitarists always find their way into these duos--it'd be nice to find some non guitar ones to listen to...

zoot sims/joe pass- blues for two

all the pass/ella combos

jim hall and bill evans' two collaborations (undercurrent and intermodulation)

john abercrombie and don thompson-- witchcraft

ed bickert and don thompson-- at the garden party

anyway, if you come across something, don't forget about this thread...

User Info Menu

Well, I think you'd be dissapointed after all of those great albums. Especially the Jim and Bill sessions, Jim owns "My Funny Valentine" as a song. That seems to be HIS standard.

User Info Menu

Don't forget about Jimmy and Doug Raney. Here are the ones I know about but there may be others.

1) Nardis --- Steeplechase Productions --- Jimmy & Doug dedicated this one to Bill Evans.

2) Stolen Moments --- Steeplechase again --- very nice!

3) Duets --- Another Steeplechase Production --- Jimmy & Doug play some great old Standards.

Enjoy!!

User Info Menu

What about Tuck and Patti?

User Info Menu

funky, could you reccommend an album that's more on the jazz side? i've heard them do "as time goes by" and thought it was quite good, but i've also heard a lot of crossover/ R&B sounding stuff from them that really ain't my bag at all...

User Info Menu

While not strickly duo, Metheny and Scofield play a great deal of twin lead guitar on one of my favs 'I can see your house from here'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    funky, could you reccommend an album that's more on the jazz side? i've heard them do "as time goes by" and thought it was quite good, but i've also heard a lot of crossover/ R&B sounding stuff from them that really ain't my bag at all...
    You're right they have a lot of crossover (which I like), so probably not a good suggestion for you, unless you can go to itunes or something and just selectively download songs that's more to your taste.

-FunkyE9th

User Info Menu

anybody reccomend some good "off the beaten path" jazz duo records? guitar need not be involved...
    I've got a great one. "Sargasso Sea" with John Abercrombie and Ralph Towner. The recording came out in the late 70's.

Not a single standard on the album if I recall. Hopefully relased on a CD by now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    Don't forget about Jimmy and Doug Raney. Here are the ones I know about but there may be others.

1) Nardis --- Steeplechase Productions --- Jimmy & Doug dedicated this one to Bill Evans.

2) Stolen Moments --- Steeplechase again --- very nice!

3) Duets --- Another Steeplechase Production --- Jimmy & Doug play some great old Standards.

Enjoy!!

is "nardis" just the two of them-- i have stolen moments, which i love, but i'm looking for true duets here...i'd love to hear like a piano/sax collab, or piano/some other horn...

i've been playing with a valve trombone player lately, and i'd love to record us doing just duets, but he doesn't feel comfortable...yet...i'm gonna work him over till he gives in.

User Info Menu

McCoy Tyner and John Scofield play a great version of Joy Spring on a McCoy CD. I think it was "Things ain't what they used to be".

User Info Menu

is "nardis" just the two of them-- i have stolen moments, which i love, but i'm looking for true duets here...i'd love to hear like a piano/sax collab, or piano/some other horn...

i've been playing with a valve trombone player lately, and i'd love to record us doing just duets, but he doesn't feel comfortable...yet...i'm gonna work him over till he gives in.
    I seem to recall that J.J. Johnson (trombone player) did a duet album with a guitar player in the early 50's. I could be wrong, but I see to remember this.

By the way...I have played with a lot of trombone guys. Don't let him abuse you!<g>

User Info Menu

I just picked up a Martin Taylor's "Two's Company" CD...Amazon.com: Two's Company: Music: Martin Taylor

He plays duets with horn players (trumpet, cornet, trombone), singers and guitar players on this disk.

-FunkyE9th

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno & Howard Alden - Full Circle
    Howard Alden & George Van Epps - they did 3 together I think, I have 2
    Jim Hall & Ron Carter - Alone Together amazing
    Bucky & John Pizzarelli

User Info Menu

Jimmy Raney and his son Doug Raney---excellent!

User Info Menu

We'll be together again, by Pat Martino and Gil Goldstein

Bireli Lagrene and Sarah Lazarus, I can't recal the title but it's an amazing duet. And of course, Joe Pass and Ella Fitzgerald. (It should have been mentioned by now)

User Info Menu

Joe Pass and J.J Johnson (trombone) - "We'll Be Together Again" - nice CD to enjoy with a scotch and good company.

Freddie Green and Herb Ellis - "Rhythm Willie" - must have for any Freddie fan. (Woops..this is actually a quartet)

Bucky Pizzarelli and Frank Vignola "Moonglow" A nice straight ahead combination of vintage Bucky and Vignola's Django flavors.
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 12-10-2007 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Scott Hamilton and Bucky Pizzarelli..."The Red Door"

User Info Menu

Some favorites of mine you might also enjoy are:

Duncan McCallum & Dougie Harrison - Jazz Guitar Duo
    Herb Ellis & Joe Pass - Two For The Road
    Adrian Ingram & Joe Pisano - Homage

I myself am in a guitar duo... don't know there's something old fashion and unique about a guitar duo that I really like.

User Info Menu

Ralph Towner and Gary Peacock have two outstanding tuet albums, A Closer View and Oracle. These are really amazing works, highly recommended on ECM

User Info Menu

Towner and Abercrombie - Sargasso Sea

The new Joe Beck and Abercrombie album is also a great guitar duo set.

MW