The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

That kind of soft, delicate, intricate stuff, Bill Evans does solo, is there a jazz guitarist who plays solo chord melody like that on guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ted Greene
    Lenny Breau
    Sid Jacobs' and Stephen D Anderson's arrangements of Bill Evans repertoire
    Last edited by Bill C; 11-25-2011 at 07:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Jack Pezanelli is not only intimately familiar with Bill Evans' approach, he really does successfully translate it onto guitar. His understanding of both ideally suit the music. Mick Goodrick's chord solos have the pianistic complexity and harmonic subtlety of Evans but he's taken guitar to a whole different level in the process.
    You might look into Ed Bikert too.
    David

User Info Menu

I always say this, but I love Peter Bernstein's solo playing. There are some recordings on the smalls club website if you wanna check it out.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci View Post
    Nice! To reiterate one of the comments, who is that guy???

User Info Menu

Jody Fisher. absolute master of chord melodies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    Genil Castro? Love the Tele! Little 59 in bridge and standard HB in neck positions.

User Info Menu

check out Lorne Lofsky; especially his album "Bill,Please"

User Info Menu

Ralph Towner

User Info Menu

Sid Jacobs adapted Bill Evans piano voicings for guitar. It is impossible to make an exact replica due to the nature of the guitar, but he came as close as possible and it sounds beautiful.

I'm a fan of Sid. He is such a versatile player with an endless vocabulary of harmonic and melodic ideas.

User Info Menu

I am a huge fan of Bill Evans- I'll have to check out some of these guitarists; I have to admit that I am skeptical of a true likeness- I've hovered over many hands on the piano doing Bill transcriptions, etc, and can tell that it is impossible to replicate on the guitar. ...Still any influence from Bill is is terrific!!

User Info Menu

John Stowell. I think in general perhaps too many jazz guitarist go for the 'delicate and sensitive', but in case of Stowell it's wonderful and obviously an extension of his personality.

User Info Menu

Plus one for Bickert.

User Info Menu

Here's Lenny Breau not only demonstrating Bill Evans' influence but also interpreting a Bill Evans composition.

User Info Menu

Joe Diorio, John Stowell, Mick Goodrick come to mind more or less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Here's Lenny Breau not only demonstrating Bill Evans' influence but also interpreting a Bill Evans composition.

Well, I think that about closes the thread for me. God damn.

P.S. Added in the YOUTUBE tags for ya...

User Info Menu

fred hasn't been mentioned yet...outstanding player, mostly under the radar...

Fred Fried : 8-String Jazz Guitarist : Teaching

Amazon.com: Wisdom of Notes: Fred Fried: Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Marvelous, would be hard to get closer to replicating the sound of a piano than that, but he doesn't swing like Bill - maybe that's too much to ask for.

Re: Lorne Lofsky, yeah, I heard an interview in which he said he decided he'd have to throw away his pick to express himself like Bill Evans and the other piano players he admired - he went to fingerstyle with a thumbpick.

User Info Menu

+1 for John Stowell

User Info Menu

I like how non-anemic this is. With so much harmonic interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ View Post
    Genil Castro