The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
    Anyone here a fan of Bill Connors? Most probably know him only through the first electric Return To Forever album, and although he is very much under-recorded (his choice it seems), he has some great music out there.

After he left RTF he woodshedded finger-style classical guitar, and has a couple of brilliant solo guitar albums: Theme To The Guardian and Swimming With A Hole In My Body. He also has a great album called Of Mist And Melting with Jan Garbarek, Gary Peacock, and Jack DeJohnette, and worked as sideman on a some ECM releases like Julian Priester's Love, Love. There's also a great Lee Konitz date called Pyramid with him and Paul Bley from around this period.

In the 80s he came out with three trio fusion albums that, despite their almost painfully 80s production, have amazing playing. I believe he stopped recording in '87 and didn't come out with anything until Return in 2005, which is one of my favorite albums and I think his best; I highly recommend picking this one up if you're unfamiliar with him.

Old RTF video:
    Last edited by Extrapolation; 09-22-2011 at 09:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really like his work with RTF but I haven't heard anything from him since.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thstuning
    I really like his work with RTF but I haven't heard anything from him since.
    Check this out:

User Info Menu

He's on some cuts from the new RTF double-CD release.

User Info Menu

Step It
    Assembler
    Double Up
    The Return
    Four amazing recordings. More please.

User Info Menu

Anybody here remember that "Soundsheet" (a vinyl magazine insert that you could tear out and play like a record) that Bill Connors did for Guitar Player magazine back in the early 1980s?

An amazing kind of detuned double-tracking something or other version of Layla. Really great stuff, imho. Haven't heard it in years, but here it is on youtube:

Another Connors album that I loved back when was "Swimming with a Hole in My Body." That one was all or mostly acoustic, lots of nylon string playing in a lovely, atmospheric ECM style. I'll have to dig out some old LPs...

Last edited by Flat; 09-22-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Anybody here remember that "Soundsheet" (a vinyl magazine insert that you could tear out and play like a record) that Bill Connors did for Guitar Player magazine back in the early 1980s?

An amazing kind of detuned double-tracking something or other version of Layla. Really great stuff, imho. Haven't heard it in years, but here it is on youtube:

Another Connors album that I loved back when was "Swimming with a Hole in My Body." That one was all or mostly acoustic, lots of nylon string playing in a lovely, atmospheric ECM style. I'll have to dig out some old LPs...
    That was great I had never heard that before.

Swimming With A Hole In My Body is one of my favorites by him. I've only been able to find Theme To The Guardian on CD but came across the former in a used record store and it plays flawlessly.

User Info Menu

I remember I was in a shady part of The Hague, in Holland, in some obscure Jazz Record store in the early eighties. I was looking for an Allan Holdsworth album. I was talking to the store owner about AH and said :'Nobody plays like Allan Holdsworth'. He said: "Yes, I know someone" , and handed me the LP "Assembler" from Bill Connors. Holy Crap! It sounded very much like AH. I did not think that was possible! Amzing guitar player!

User Info Menu

I agree with JZ. I've got Step It, Assembler and Double Up and I've always thought Bill sounded a bit like AH. I also got Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy when it first hit the stores and Theme to the Guardian - although it was spelt "Gaurdian" and I was never sure whether it was just a spelling mistake. I also had the first Stanley Clarke album which featured Bill. A couple of years back I was on a guitar site where someone listed Bill as a favourite and I was shocked - I thought I was his only fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    I agree with JZ. I've got Step It, Assembler and Double Up and I've always thought Bill sounded a bit like AH. I also got Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy when it first hit the stores and Theme to the Guardian - although it was spelt "Gaurdian" and I was never sure whether it was just a spelling mistake. I also had the first Stanley Clarke album which featured Bill. A couple of years back I was on a guitar site where someone listed Bill as a favourite and I was shocked - I thought I was his only fan!
    ECM seems to never have corrected that error, it's spelled that way on my CD as well.

Hopefully Return was not his final album; though as far as I know there are no plans or rumors of him recording again, besides those tracks he played with RTF on sporadic dates on their tour a couple years ago.

User Info Menu

He went from a Gibson Les Paul to a classical guitar to a Charvel Strat style to a Gibson L5,might I call that evolution.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Flat;171999]Anybody here remember that "Soundsheet" (a vinyl magazine insert that you could tear out and play like a record) that Bill Connors did for Guitar Player magazine back in the early 1980s?

Sounds a lot like early 80's Holdsworth!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    He's on some cuts from the new RTF double-CD release.
    How does he sound? Les Paul through Marshalls or L-5 through his homemade amp?

I love Connors' playing with RTF but found his '80s albums a bit too 'Holdsworthian'. I miss that ferocious, rock attack he had in the early-to-mid '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Salty
    How does he sound? Les Paul through Marshalls or L-5 through his homemade amp?

I love Connors' playing with RTF but found his '80s albums a bit too 'Holdsworthian'. I miss that ferocious, rock attack he had in the early-to-mid '70s.
    The session photos in the booklet for Forever show him playing a Les Paul. He sounds great, especially on "Señor Mouse". It's a shame he had to drop out of the RTF IV tour, you can tell they really have a chemistry on those few recordings. At least you get a couple of tracks with Jean-Luc Ponty, "After The Cosmic Rain" and "Space Circus". I saw RTF IV with Gambale, and was admittedly disappointed. His playing is technically amazing, to be sure, but it left me feeling cold; definitely would have been a much better band with Connors.
    Last edited by Extrapolation; 11-05-2011 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

always happy to help dig out an old thread..esp. if bill connors is the subject!!

fave since back then..he blazed onto scene with rtf..and typical of "thinkin" guitarists of that era, backed down to different disciplines..his live stuff with jimmy giuffre is choice

he played on some obscure ecm discs as well..besides his solo efforts

i liked his comeback holdsworth inspired discs less...but it showed new mastery

no doubt a great

Bill Connors-170011-1155587937-jpeg-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Here's some hard rockin' fusion with Bill, Stanley, Jan and Tony.

User Info Menu

as an aside

jan hammer had some run as well!!

from mahavishnu orchestra, to abercrombies timeless, cobhams spectrum, stanley clarkes first on nemperor, and then jeff beck...

stellar

cheers

User Info Menu

If he's busy teaching...where?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    as an aside

jan hammer had some run as well!!

from mahavishnu orchestra, to abercrombies timeless, cobhams spectrum, stanley clarkes first on nemperor, and then jeff beck...

stellar

cheers
    Not to mention "chi-ching" $$ Miami Vice $$ "chi-ching"!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rowland
    Not to mention "chi-ching" $$ Miami Vice $$ "chi-ching"!!

that good run came to an abrupt halt!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I seem to remember reading an interview once where Bill talked about a specific book of scales that he practiced obsessively around the time that he was recording Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy, though now I can't seem to find any mention of it online.
    Does anyone have an idea of what that book might be - or the interview in which he mentioned it?

User Info Menu

here's a site with some good interviews with bill

Bill Connors Fan Page

tho i didnt see mention of specific scale book

cheers

User Info Menu

I saw Bill duet with Dave Holland at a small club in NYC in 1980. He blew me out of my shows.

I was extremely disappointed with his playing on the RTF reunion - he sounded stiff, nervous. None of that Hymn fire he had BITD.

I did see see both RTF reunions, with Al D and then with Gambale. The Gambale show overall was more satisfying, especially with Jean-Luc, but DiMeola was predictably astonishing.

User Info Menu

Bill was coming from a more bluesy, earthier place than Allan. Both had fabulous legato and left hands. I love Bill's lead tone on Step It and Assembler. He definitely had a tenor sax thing going that was awesome. Great, great player.