The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is the only one I know. Ones I can listen to for ideas for chord melodies.

My usual method for developing chord melodies is read the music and make my own, listen to the original or a variety of artists playing it for more ideas, check to see if Joe Pass has done a cover of it on youtube, then search something like 'all the things you are solo jazz guitar' and get idea from randoms on youtube. Handy but in the interest of improving it's better to copy a legend to sound like said legend I've found. My motto (which I am creating right now but I've found it to be true) is "Aim for the stars. Even if you never reach them when looking back you will realize you're already flying." Quite relevant to this. Like it? Haha

But in all seriousness, solo jazz guitar players?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SammieWammie
    Joe Pass is the only one I know. Ones I can listen to for ideas for chord melodies.

My usual method for developing chord melodies is read the music and make my own, listen to the original or a variety of artists playing it for more ideas, check to see if Joe Pass has done a cover of it on youtube, then search something like 'all the things you are solo jazz guitar' and get idea from randoms on youtube. Handy but in the interest of improving it's better to copy a legend to sound like said legend I've found. My motto (which I am creating right now but I've found it to be true) is "Aim for the stars. Even if you never reach them when looking back you will realize you're already flying." Quite relevant to this. Like it? Haha

Ted Greene. If you want to aim for the stars then Ted is your man.
    My fave solo guitar player of all time who I prefer over Van Eps or Joe Pass.
    It's a very personal thing though.
    Also check out Steve Herberman who has quite a few lesson videos on You Tube (he also had lessons from Ted)

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno

User Info Menu

Ralph Towner has a few albeit on acoustic/nylon string guitars

Geroge Van Eps released a few

Johnny Smith as well

Howard Alden has quite a few solo CD's

the late Harry Leahey has one. you can listen to one piece here:

Inhoud niet gevonden | Facebook

Look for his solo CD.

Vic Juris had a solo gig Wednesday nights for YEARS at a restaurant in Montclair called Cafe D'Angelico. Unfortunately he hasn't done a CD.

A lot of guys will do a solo tune or two on a CD. Russel Malone, George Benson, Jack Wilkins, Kenny Burrell, Pat Martino, John McLaughlin, Larry Coryell, etc etc all have CD's out that have one or two solo pieces on them.

Doing a CD of solo guitar work is not easy and probably doesn't sell all that well.

User Info Menu

I'm also impressed by Cal Collins as a solo player.
    I still have the solo LP Cross Country but unfortunely the album isn't available anymore...

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The late Kenny Poole. Unfortunately he didn't record much, but here's a youtube video:

User Info Menu

Kenny Pool had total command of that guitar. A true master. Shame he didn't record much. He's definitely up there with the guitar giants.

User Info Menu

+1 for Martin Taylor, an unbelievable player and musician.

User Info Menu

John Stowell.

Peter Mazza.

User Info Menu

My favorite solo player is Peter Bernstein. He just has some nasty chords that make you jump up when he strums them. Really open sounding stuff. He doesn't have any solo CDs, but some of his albums have a solo song or two. I highlight the Monk CD with Monk's Mood and Ruby, My Dear, but really Monk's Mood just has some amazing stuff in there.

User Info Menu

growing up in Cincinnati i didnt realize what i was seeing with Cal and Kenny. couldnt be more different, but both were AMAZING and easily more organic than joe pass, as good as he is ....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Joe Pass of course is a big one, but here are some others...

Ted Greene
    Lenny Breau
    George Van Eps
    Johnny Smith

Martin Taylor is also a great one, as several others have reccomended. He actually has on online school that you can check out too.

User Info Menu

Irish guitarist Louis Stewart is incredible--check him out on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Lenny Breau (Fibe O'Clock Bells, Mo' Bro)
    Cal Collins (By Myself, Cross Country)
    Mimi Fox (Standards)
    Bill Harris (Bill Harris, Down In The Alley)
    Barney Kessell (By Myself, Solo)
    Bucky Pizzarelli (Nightwings, Solo Flight, A Portrait, April Kisses)
    George Van Eps (Soliloquy)
    Al Viola (Solo Guitar, Guitar Lament, Alone Again, Prelude To A Kiss)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

those were outstanding performances IMO. but i dont think that he was improvising to the same extent that Joe did. he seemed to have a lot of pre-arranged sections, and frankly that made it not unlike modern classical guitar in some respects. bottom line? it sounded great, very artful. 5 stars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    those were outstanding performances IMO. but i dont think that he was improvising to the same extent that Joe did. he seemed to have a lot of pre-arranged sections, and frankly that made it not unlike modern classical guitar in some respects. bottom line? it sounded great, very artful. 5 stars.
    Julian's performances do sound like they're composed. But, I think a lot of it may be improv.

Check this free improv out, it's not even a tune. Kind of crazy but this seems to be completely improvisation, at Julian says so:

User Info Menu

Both Ron Eschete and Howard Alden are masters of solo guitar, both are 7-string players.

wiz

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jimmy Wyble, John Stowell, Sid Jacobs and Lenny Breau. Those are the real deal for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatswisdom
    Martin Taylor.
    +1

dg

User Info Menu

Martin Taylor and Mimi Fox would be my cabs after Joe.