The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I'm surprised that no one thought to get in touch with the engineer on the Virtuoso #1 session. His name is Dennis Sands and that was his first recording! Some quick research unearthed the serendipity behind the making of the album. Dennis was working as a mixer at MGM and his involvement with the Pass project only came about because the designated engineer arrived at the studio drunk. As it was evening and there was no one else in the building, Norman Granz asked Dennis to take over and the young man soon became principal sound engineer for Pablo. He later moved on from recording jazz to the more demanding (and no doubt more lucrative) world of film and is now one of the world's leading soundtrack engineers and mixers with movies such as Back To The Future, American Beauty, Forrest Gump, Spiderman and The Avengers to his credit.

I was as curious as everyone else on this thread to get the inside story and wrote to Dennis, receiving this reply today:

Hey Paul. The Joe Pass Virtuoso 1 album was the very first project of any kind I ever did as engineer. As I recall I recorded a direct feed plus a mic on his guitar and amp. Joe was quite specific about his sound and was pleased with what I did. The mix was live with no remix. Btw the story of the designated mixer showing up drunk was true. That’s how I ended up doing the session. This led to many others for Norman Granz and Pablo Records. Ella, Oscar Peterson, Sarah Vaughan, Milt Jackson, Basie, Joe Turner, many others. Incredibly lucky. BestD

So not yet the complete story but I sent a follow up message asking for further details (guitar/s used, how the track Here Comes That Rainy Day ended up with a markedly different sound etc.). Not expecting too much to be resolved as the recording took place almost 50 years ago but let's see what eventuates...

So the commonly told version of the story that the engineer messed up the recording and only recorded the mic by accident is not true then. Only the recording of "Here is that rainy day" had both mic and amp input according to the story.

When I listen to these two recordings from the same album, I have to say I still believe the story. There is no way the recording of "Round Midnight" has anything but just the mic feed. I prefer the second recording by a mile BTW.

vs

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also don't like the sound of the fast runs in the mic only recordings. They sound thin and don't come out clearly and evenly. The album was named Virtuoso so I get that it was also meant to showcase his technical mastery. But as least in the mic recordings speedy parts don't work for me.

User Info Menu

Great album, but, yeah, shame about the plinky tone. One Joe Pass album that I just love the tone of is the posthumous Unforgettable where, I believe, he plays a nylon string acoustic.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm the only kid on my block who likes Joe's tone on Virtuoso #1. The first time I heard it, all I could think was "HOLY COW! He's playing that acoustically on an ES175!" I think it took real balls to do that. It makes me think Joe is sitting in my kitchen and he just picks up an ES175--not most peoples choice for a kitchen table or front porch guitar--and just starts playing this amazing stuff on it. I love that album.

User Info Menu

I also love the mic’d tone on Virtuoso. Hank Garland did something similar on at least one track on Jazz Winds From A New Direction. At the moment, the title of the piece escapes me, reason enough to pull out my copy and start listening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    One Joe Pass album that I just love the tone of is the posthumous Unforgettable where, I believe, he plays a nylon string acoustic.
    Great album which I've been listening to a lot for the past few months. Apparently he's playing a Borys B-520 nylon on that one (it's not an archtop).

As for Virtuoso #1, I also love the tone on that album. Years ago when I heard it was played unplugged on an ES175 I was shocked, but now that I have a lively laminate guitar (2.5" depth Trenier Jazz Electric) I'm far less surprised especially given the ES175 is quite a deep guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by L50EF15
    Hank Garland did something similar on at least one track on Jazz Winds From A New Direction. At the moment, the title of the piece escapes me, reason enough to pull out my copy and start listening.
    Probably this one (Always):

User Info Menu

Thank God he wasn't playing his jaguar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Probably this one (Always):

Yup, that’s the one. Tragic that his career was cut short by that car accident.