The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55

User Info Menu

Lately my favourite has been Adam Rogers, specially after listening to Chris Potter Underground live at the Village Vanguard, and here he plays completely different as how he plays on his own records. Amazing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ben Monder and Jake Langley are two great players that haven't been mentioned yet. Ben's a way out modern guy and Jake's a burning modern beboper currently playing in Joey Defrancesco's band.

MW

User Info Menu

Do you know Ximo Tebar?

User Info Menu

I do now

There's a guy by the name of James Muller I just heard of who's doing alot of neat stuff... Admittedly, there's a very strong Sco/Krantz influence, but I like the sounds he gets alot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by priscilo
    Do you know Ximo Tebar?
    claro! Ximo is a great player, deserves more recognition, with Jordi Rossy and few others one of the few spanish jazz musicians making themselves a name in jazz internationally

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aPAULo
    Im looking for some current jazz guitarists that I should look into. Again, I would prefer more of Wes influenced style, but ill take any reccommendations.

Also, who is your favorite contemporary jazz guitarist?
    In the same tradition of Wes, they are Bobby Broom and Rodney Jones.They worked with the Maestro Kenny Burrel some years ago.
    SALUDOS
    Fernando

User Info Menu

Another great Jazz Guitarrist is Tim Miller,in a modern concept(like Holdsworth,Abercrombie,etc)...see in youtube

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress, Pat Metheny, and Robert Conti
    Last edited by neilio; 03-26-2008 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by perhapsguitar1234; 05-06-2013 at 01:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Check out Andreas Oberg on youtube ... 29 yo

User Info Menu

I have to agree that Femi Temowo is great - saw him in London once.

As for great contemporary player.. check out Wolfgang Muthspiel!

User Info Menu

There's a guy from Portland named Chris Mosley and the album he recorded with his quartet fairly recently is pretty amazing. You can listen to a good deal of his music straight off his website.

Chris Mosley Website - Home

User Info Menu

Chris Standring just released an album that's supposed to be quite good. Anybody heard it?

User Info Menu

And of course don't forget about you. Listening to others is very important, but also finding your own voice, the voice that is waiting to be heard. Everyone has one.

User Info Menu

Yeah. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Scotty Anderson

Jordan Officer

Andrea Oberg

ben monder is playing at my school tonight!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Monaco
    ben monder is playing at my school tonight!
    well i think you should go see him!

let me know how it was..

User Info Menu

Great! Ben's one of a kind.

MW

just got back from the show. it was awesome. it was him and theo blackman (who is amazing) with lots of crazy effects on his voice. really made a wall of sound between his voice being played back and modified on the spot, and the guitar.

their version of norwegian wood was pretty crazy. my school records every concert for archival purposes so im gonna get a copy of the session and mix and master it.

User Info Menu

sounds like a great experience! monder is incredible.

i'd be very interested in a live recording of ben.

User Info Menu

Only one has so far named Andreas Oberg (Öberg in Swedish). Check him out on the youtube - he is amazing! I've listen to him live three times and is totally sold. He turns 30 in August and makes about 250 gigs a year all over the world. A month ago a visited him in Stockholm and bough his old GB 10 and a JazzKat. He is not only extremely talented - he is a nice guy too!

User Info Menu

The first I heard of Oberg was on a fairly notey solo with a really cool head...

I guess he was trying to get at some lady in the front row, haha... Great player, still.

Here's another guy I'm really fond of, Gilad Hekselman:

Man, what's with all these Eastern European guys playing all our jazz?

User Info Menu

I saw Gilad at IAJE two years ago when he won the Montreaux Guitar Competition. He didn't sound like he does now, man he's worked his butt off and is sounding great!

Thanks for the vids.

MW

User Info Menu

WOW...thanks for the links Gravitas. Gilad Hekselman is amazing.