The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79

User Info Menu

Not someone we consider a jazz player, but sounds good when he does it nonetheless!

Was very surprised to see him hang in these videos. Very tasteful lines.

A Classic

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I'm feeling some of the blues stuff, actually. The older dudes did it on occasion, and it's getting me to groove a bit more then the technical stuff. Dude's got soul

And yea, I've been digging on some of his own stuff, too. Talented guy!

User Info Menu

Odd question maybe...but was the backup guitarist playing one of your guitars, A Mano? Can't tell with the low resolution on my screen - the red of the guitar kind of suggests that.

I wish

I think it's a Marchione. He has a pretty edgy design and uses some vibrant colors.

User Info Menu

I saw him a few years ago on that "Live From Abbey Road" series and was pretty surprised..... didn't really pay any attention to who he was, just assumed he was some random pop guy from seeing him on the entertainment weekly-type magazine covers.... pretty respectable blues player and always has a great band. Borrowed the 'Continuum' album from my niece and has some good tunes on it.

User Info Menu

Funny thing is, I expected to like his playing and hate the singing.

I actually think he "crooned" it really well. But I had my hopes up for his lead break...what happened to the changes?

EDIT: Didn't check out the second one yet, I will later.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-12-2011 at 08:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Those can go out the window when you're the supposed best guitar player on the planet.

User Info Menu

I better work less on my scales and more on my cred, then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Those can go out the window when you're the supposed best guitar player on the planet.
    Mayer's a very good player IMO. Not a jazzer but he's a very good guitarist. I'm happy that someone is popular who actually loves instrumental music and plays guitar. Took my son to hear him and enjoyed seeing teenage girls screaming and cheering when he plays Jimi tunes. He's exposing blues and hendrix to a new generation. He's also helped Scofield achieve even more popularity. Gotta love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Mayer's a very good player IMO. Not a jazzer but he's a very good guitarist.
    I agree, and I hope my post didn't sound like I thought otherwise...

But at the same time, since I know he's a good guitar player, is he not capable of playing changes? I'm sure he is...we jazz guys aren't that special...are we?

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter if mayer is a great blues player or not. He's bringing the music to an entirely new audience who never heard of blues or jazz or even improvised guitar playing. That's worth way more than being a hot blues player IMO

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter if mayer is a great blues player or not. He's bringing the music to an entirely new audience who never heard of blues or jazz or even improvised guitar playing. That's worth way more than being a hot blues player IMO
    Provided that it prompts them to go seek out the great jazz and blues artists and not just stop with Mayer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Provided that it prompts them to go seek out the great jazz and blues artists and not just stop with Mayer.
    you know how that works. 5% will, the rest won't. Those 5% will tell their friends. 5% of them will be interested...Better than lady gaga and some of the other crap out there. Folks just want to hate on mayer because of his fame.

User Info Menu

you know how that works. 5% will, the rest won't. Those 5% will tell their friends. 5% of them will be interested...Better than lady gaga and some of the other crap out there. Folks just want to hate on mayer because of his fame.
    That seems a fair and reasonable percentage to me. I actually like Mayer. As long as it's musical I dig it.

User Info Menu

i like him too and some of his acoustic stuff is very nice and not so easy to play

User Info Menu

I like Lady Gaga and John Mayer...

User Info Menu

I remember Scofield giving props to Mayer. Something to the effect that "he has jazz instincts"... I wonder what would happen if he abandoned his pop and blues orientation to bebop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    F But I had my hopes up for his lead break...what happened to the changes?.
    Jeff Beck sometimes simplifies the changes to jazzy tunes, and it can work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    Jeff Beck sometimes simplifies the changes to jazzy tunes, and it can work.
    True, but the context of the music around it is very different as well...

This one started off as Mayer doing a torch song, big 'ol Gibson archtop in tow...I thought I was going to get to hear John really break out of the box and wow me...

It just dissapointed me...I'm sure he could handle a more advanced harmonic backdrop to work with.

But like others have said, if this turns just a few people on to some new music (the music we all love here) then it's nothing but a good thing.

User Info Menu

you know how that works. 5% will, the rest won't..
    Reminds me of the Brian Eno quote about the Velvet Underground: "Only 2000 people bought their first record, but they all formed bands..."

User Info Menu

Wow, the beginning of that second clip is great. Guitar playing at it's best if you ask me.

User Info Menu

Well, I got to watch the second one.

Cool stuff, a nice uptown blues with some good chord changes. If the kids are liking this all is good with the world!

(just to show you different strokes for different folks, I thought the beginning noodling was a bit much--but once he got into the tune, John was feeling it!)

User Info Menu

I think it's the L-5. Noodling on that thing sounds a lot different then noodling on a Fender strat.

Is that an L-5?

User Info Menu

Pretty sure it is...gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Very nice indeed.....kind of a pop......bluesy..........jazzy thing going on. Can hear alot of the traditional Mayer blues lines phrased up to jazz sounds. I think artists like him, Carlton, Botti, all the newer crop of modern jazz players really show that the lines between genres can be blurred beautifully.......its all in the musical presentation!