The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 79 of 79

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SedanDelivery2022
    It is humorous how this thread went from 2011 to 2023 in the blink of an eye. Ray Charles comes to mind as someone who made a name in the R and B/Gospel idiom but dug deeply and freely into jazz.

Personally there's something about Mayer that always struck me as inauthentic, even as I admire his love for music, devotion to his craft and desire to better himself.

When he opens his mouth to sing I don't feel it. I like his guitar playing a bit better.
    It was my fault....I was that blink of an eye...lol

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I consider myself to be an amateur in playing jazz. I am all self taught. Here is a clip from my playing today. I wonder if I am a better jazz player, than John Mayer is. I think I am...I don't think he could handle this tune in a compelling way. He would go all blues and wouldn't be able to part from that too much. That's my opinion. So yeah, John Mayer is awesome...but maybe...just maybe, I have a little bit more jazz vocabulary under my belt than he does. Perhaps.

User Info Menu

Maybe he was trying to sound different (changes)

User Info Menu

that looks like Mark Whitfield playing behind him. Mark is a great player and a great human