The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 79

User Info Menu

I know his current bass player Sean Hurley pretty well. (not the guy in the vid, I think that's Botti's band) He says that if you know JM and get past the tabloid persona that he's an absolute joy to work with and knows his stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

he's no lady gaga...nevermind

I know Steve Jordan, Pino, and Charlie Hunter have all said good things. I almost wish he'd do a jazz tune for the fun of it. Mayer and Buble? Hmm...

Anyway, I do dig he's a very popular musician that can sing and play...secretly bringing true musicianship back?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    I know his current bass player Sean Hurley pretty well. (not the guy in the vid, I think that's Botti's band) He says that if you know JM and get past the tabloid persona that he's an absolute joy to work with and knows his stuff.

User Info Menu

I haven't been able to quite get on the Jon Mayer train, which is kind of surprising because I like a lot of players he seems to admire. But any bigtime player who does something like this is OK in my book. Check out this clip where he calls up an 11-year-old kid from the audience to play on a tune, and then gives the kid the guitar at the end.

Good on you, JM!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if he's a jazzer. But at least he brought something back I missed for so long. Quality guitar solos and excellent guitar sounds to pop music. This is really a progress if I compare that to the shred I usually hear in todays pop music.

User Info Menu

i don't think there's any shred in pop music these days! No guitar at all!

User Info Menu

Wow that video with Botti was nice; really beautiful. I saw him in a very small venue here in NYC when he first started to get popular. Man has he matured. Thanks for the post, I thoroughly enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i don't think there's any shred in pop music these days! No guitar at all!

I'm not really sure if I even kinda like this, but if she were to become a hero to little girls all over, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all...
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 05-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I like that Mayer has the latitude and the desire to play more than just his pop stuff. Too bad we don't see more of that from today's pop artists.

If you look at his history, he wanted to be the next SRV but found more strength in his songwriting after attending Berklee. I'm glad he gets his props here. The readers of GP used to have a field day knocking him, and always said 'when you can play and sing "Why Georgia Why" at the same time, I'll listen to you're bitching"

As for Lady Gaga, not a fan of the music, but respect her because she's a Julliard-trained performer. That gives her more music cred over the Johnny Ramone's out there, in my book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I'm not really sure if I even kinda like this, but if she were to become a hero to little girls all over, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all...
    The music is bad but I agree with you!
    She needs to use the 'Buzzard cam" better angle for the neck.

User Info Menu

It bothers me that John Mayer does not get into jazz. Because I feel that with what he does with the music he has involved himself with has all been "gold". He is a brilliant guy with a great ear for music. He has mentioned recently that he likes the idea of doing stuff that he is unsure of, finding new things musically, etc. Every 6 years or so he seems to alter course just a little and comes out with an album that is almost a different genre. Of course it is always "signature" Mayer and you know it is him, but he does different things. Look at his work with the Dead. My point is that he can do ANYTHING he decides to work at. That is certain. So WHY NOT JAZZ? Has it never crossed his mind? Surely it has. He plays piano beautifully and has a few clips out there of him playing some piano jazz (Bill Evans).

I also feel like it is the right time in his life to take on jazz with guitar because he is a free agent now...no more record contracts, etc. He is free. If I were him, I would pick up that L-5 and see what can happen. I bet he would be great. But maybe he worries that because jazz is not very "popular" that he would fall off the charts. But who cares? He is already worth $70 million. I think he can afford to take a break from pop for a few years and see what happens. I personally, would love to see this develop.

User Info Menu

Good post! Excellent versatile player. He deserves all the notoriety he's been getting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarvegas
    It bothers me that John Mayer does not get into jazz. Because I feel that with what he does with the music he has involved himself with has all been "gold". He is a brilliant guy with a great ear for music. He has mentioned recently that he likes the idea of doing stuff that he is unsure of, finding new things musically, etc. Every 6 years or so he seems to alter course just a little and comes out with an album that is almost a different genre. Of course it is always "signature" Mayer and you know it is him, but he does different things. Look at his work with the Dead. My point is that he can do ANYTHING he decides to work at. That is certain. So WHY NOT JAZZ? Has it never crossed his mind? Surely it has. He plays piano beautifully and has a few clips out there of him playing some piano jazz (Bill Evans).

I also feel like it is the right time in his life to take on jazz with guitar because he is a free agent now...no more record contracts, etc. He is free. If I were him, I would pick up that L-5 and see what can happen. I bet he would be great. But maybe he worries that because jazz is not very "popular" that he would fall off the charts. But who cares? He is already worth $70 million. I think he can afford to take a break from pop for a few years and see what happens. I personally, would love to see this develop.
    Maybe he doesn't want to? It's not like he can just decide to play jazz tomorrow and do it at a high level. It takes years of focus, practice and dedication even for a really good blues/pop/R&B player like him. It's a completely different language. His playing with the Dead isn't that different from what he normally plays. That music isn't that much of a stretch for him. At 45 years old I think he is what he is.

User Info Menu

He obviously doesn't play jazz. :P

User Info Menu

..... My point is that he can do ANYTHING he decides to work at. That is certain. So WHY NOT JAZZ? Has it never crossed his mind? Surely it has. He plays piano beautifully and has a few clips out there of him playing some piano jazz (Bill Evans).

He has talent, but not so much that he can easily turn his hand to Jazz, playing proper changes etc. I mean, can you name anyone who has done that easily?

User Info Menu

^^Well not easily, but he’s talented and versatile, and it could be done. The first step is to listen to jazz 24/7. The second is surround yourself with incredible jazz musicians who push you. The third is actually play jazz.

I used to have a long list of people I thought “should play jazz” or at least should play jazzy. I don’t think that way much now. Labels are confining.

If Iggy Pop wants to sing jazz with Steve Swallow and Dr. Lonnie Smith among others, he should.

If John Scofield wants to play with jam bands like he is doing right now in Jamaica, more power to him. Enjoy the vacation, John. Wish I were there too.

User Info Menu

...I mean, can you name anyone who has done that easily?
    Stevie Wonder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    He has talent, but not so much that he can easily turn his hand to Jazz, playing proper changes etc. I mean, can you name anyone who has done that easily?
    Yes, I can name many people who shifted quickly from playing blues/rock/r&b to jazz. It’s a pretty standard path for guitarists to take. That doesn’t mean they went instantly from being Johnny Ramone to Ben Monder. But I’ve seen people lots of people get to the point of playing jazz at a non-embarrassing level pretty quickly if they were already good players used to playing songs with changes.

I think maybe there’s a tendency around here to make jazz seem more difficult than it is. Sure, to get the level of a true master jazz musician is a long journey. But to get to the point of not sucking on Satin Doll is not that hard.

User Info Menu

Good insight from you guys, thanks for jumping in! I am going to focus on my own musical journey, and I know John has his own path. It would be cool to see it happen if he wants it, but time will tell. He may just be a guy that dabbles in that territory, and that's it. And that is fine too.

Love the guy though, don't know why. He is just one of those musicians who has captivated a very large audience. And that happened over night (sometime in 2001). Instant success. But not without the work. He worked his butt off in Atlanta for a few years and got noticed by the right people, and the rest was history. It's as entertaining to hear the dude talk as it is to watch him play.

User Info Menu

Messing around at a sound check..Mayer and Weir & Co. play Misty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Messing around at a sound check..Mayer and Weir & Co. play Misty

That was totally refreshing, and partly the beginning of what I want to hear. BUT, still....you can't take the John out of Mayer. He is who he is. Wish he had his L-5 for this one. They should explore more with this and other standards. John was doing a ton of fast solo work throughout most of it, and it was good, but I could see it being done a little differently with more chord melody, maybe a little bit slower lines that are more meaningful. Because a thousand notes get lost when that is all you hear. It was good though, and Weir sounded really good on this. This is a good starting point. Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Can't say I like any of it. Just more commercial dreck. (IMO)

User Info Menu

I remember 2011 when John Mayer was still big (have you guys checked the date of the 1st post?).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    I remember 2011 when John Mayer was still big (have you guys checked the date of the 1st post?).
    Yes, I did. 2014

User Info Menu

Yes, I did. 2014
    Gosh, he might have learned to "make the changes" by now if he starting working on it from around then. Not just making them, but sounding, um, you know, good.