The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 166

User Info Menu

I bought the box when it came out because I'm a fan but never played it, still listening to my original vinyl copies like Steven. Doubt I'd sell anytime soon, I'll probably just keep it for a rainy day. But the booklet was outstanding and very comprehensive, those guys @ Mosaic are very accurate in everything they release.
    I probably have 2/3 of their output, outstanding company.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

johnny smith had cool tone too..not a stretch to hank garland and cliff gallup, etc...lush

cheers

User Info Menu

There are a number of really odd tracks in that collection, but many great ones too.

If you don’t already have the Legends CD I’d strongly recommend it. It’s got 12 jaw-dropping solo guitar arrangements by Johnny Smith and 11 more by George Van Eps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    johnny smith had cool tone too..not a stretch to hank garland and cliff gallup, etc...lush

cheers
    I have 2 favorite jazz guitar tones:

Charlie Christian for the "old school swing" sound

and

Johnny Smith for the "beautiful archtop" sound

User Info Menu

I could be wrong, because I don’t have the biography handy, but when he refers to things being well planned, JS might have been talking about the arrangement of the song itself and not the solo portion. In the bio he stated something to the effect that he wanted to be respectful of the studio time, which was limited by union rules, as well as the musicians.

John “call me a Smith apologist” Galich

User Info Menu

Let's compare contemporaries: Johnny Smith, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery. Of those four, there's only one who has not gone into long improv'd solos as far as I know.

Johnny Smith is a major hero of mine, so I'm not being critical. But he was more conservative IMO.

I'd love to be wrong on this and hear some extended, extemporaneous solos from Johnny, especially if he pushed tonal and scalar barriers. My hair would go on fire if I heard him play quarter tones!

User Info Menu

I've just done a transcription of "Blues Chorale", hopefully some of you will enjoy it. I found it enlightening to get inside the music on this one, some more classical leaning voicings peppered throughout.

User Info Menu

Very nice, thanks.

User Info Menu

funny am just listening to johnny smith

check this...7 minutes of js quartet

-pawn ticket-

cheers

User Info Menu

I was just taking off JS' re-harmonization of a tune from one of his Roost records for a big band chart I'm writing, and I can't believe how hip it is.
    Underestimating or ignoring this guy is a huge mistake. I also copied a chorus of his pianist, Bob Pancoast, and is ideas are so hip and musically solid, it's almost frightening that they were doing these things almost 70 years ago!

User Info Menu

pancoast was johnny smith fave...he said "bob pancoast to me was an extraordinary piano player" in "the best group i ever had"

js "made it a point" to feature bob on his take of duke's -prelude to a kiss-....js said "it's one of the greatest things i ever heard!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 06-12-2020 at 11:43 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

if you don't have it I'd recommend looking for a copy of his lp 'Reminiscing' on Roost, one of my favorites but often overlooked for some reason, it was recorded in a neighbor's living room in '65

this is the only cut I could find on youtube but it's a gem, 'There'll be other times'

p.s. that trem starting @ 3:15 is scary, flawlessly executed [well this is Johnny Smith we're talking about]

User Info Menu

That is indeed an amazing cut. Barney and Wes are the only players who come to mind who used that technique in their solos from time to time. Wild to hear it from Johnny. His solo version of Shenandoah remains one of the most beautiful solo guitars pieces I've ever heard regardless of genre; deceptively simple yet profound.

User Info Menu

It amazes me that people rave about Frisell and Scofield's solo guitar playing. When you compare it to JS' solo guitar arranging and playing mastery, they sound like beginners. Frisell took a college course with Smith for a semester (I don't know if it was a classroom course or private), but his idea of simplicity is more like simple-minded, not Smith's profound concept of simplicity.

User Info Menu

i hate to compare..its apples and oranges...js was one of the greatest guitarists of all time...technically so so solid & always pushing...guys like frisell are more tonesmiths...musicians...using the guitar (& effects) to create the sounds in their heads by whatever means necessary...

distinct types..no better or worse..i enjoy listening to both...from different angles, but equally profound and enjoyable

cheers

User Info Menu

Agree that one doesn't have to be as great as Smith to be enjoyed but those guys just never moved me, nor Metheny for that matter.

User Info Menu

Wintermoon,
    Thanks for posting that.
    The part of the clip you pointed out sounded like 15 guitars perfectly in sync. But no, it was just Johnny. When I listen to him play, I think of how Frank Sinatra sang. Every word, delivered clear as a bell.
    To me, Johnny was one of the greatest of all time. When he improvised, it was calculated with pinpoint precision. Instead of a pick, I am surprised he didn’t use a micrometer and a pair of calipers.
    I play a lot of his stuff (duh..). But no matter how hard I try, I can’t play it like him.
    JD

User Info Menu

I was just going through roost my box set and found this..
    And that “Reminiscing” record is in the Box set. There are hidden gems throughout that box set.

JD

User Info Menu

Never a doubt JD, it's the complete Roost recordings after all
    Give it a listen if you haven't already, there's some great tunes from the Reminiscing session, the sidemen were locals he was working with when he moved to Colorado after leaving NY.

User Info Menu

That Mosaic set is just outstanding. What an amazing collection, fantastic sound, great book. Listened to the first CD today while prepping the living room walls for painting. One part of that was enjoyable, the other was hours of my life I'm not getting back...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Never a doubt JD, it's the complete Roost recordings after all
    Give it a listen if you haven't already, there's some great tunes from the Reminiscing session, the sidemen were locals he was working with when he moved to Colorado after leaving NY.
    Hey buddy, yeah, I probably should listen to it more often. The problem is, everytime I do, I end up finding another song I have to learn!
    Have a great day WM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    That Mosaic set is just outstanding. What an amazing collection, fantastic sound, great book. Listened to the first CD today while prepping the living room walls for painting. One part of that was enjoyable, the other was hours of my life I'm not getting back...
    C, You will see that room everyday and be thankful that you put in the time and did it right!
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    It amazes me that people rave about Frisell and Scofield's solo guitar playing. When you compare it to JS' solo guitar arranging and playing mastery, they sound like beginners. Frisell took a college course with Smith for a semester (I don't know if it was a classroom course or private), but his idea of simplicity is more like simple-minded, not Smith's profound concept of simplicity.
    Smith would disagree with you, as I do. Profoundly, in fact.

User Info Menu

Here's another one I've just done, love this take on John Lewis' great composition; I don't think it gets as much love as Joe Pass' and Grant Green's versions so do check it out!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Smith would disagree with you, as I do. Profoundly, in fact.
    My understanding of Johnny Smith (which is limited), is that he wouldn't say much either way, but if he did say something it would be positive. BUT that doesn't mean that is how he actually felt. I.e. for many people (especially those before the social media era), what they say publicly might not be what they actually feel. This use to be viewed as having a degree of class.

Bottom line; it is folly for anyone to say what they believe someone like Smith would say, one way or the other.